Low-profile headset for DH-FR, suggestions?- Mtbr.com

Low-profile headset for DH-FR, suggestions?

I recently switched from a crap xc stem to a Holzfeller on my Bullit. My fork is a 2000 Z1 QR20 that was cut for my old trail hardtail and worked fine w/ the old stem. Long story short, the fork fits but the top stem bolt hits slightly above the top of the steerer tube (w/ no spacers). I have a Diacompe sts low end aheadset (has a rubber bushing in addition to cups). I am thinking that a slightly lower profile headset will set the top stem bolt at a better level on the steerer tube. The headset on my buddy's P-1 looks like it would do the trick, not sure what Specialized uses (webpage says "Tank MX" under the P-1's specs), but I'd use just about anything.
    Any suggestions for a 'low profile' headset or other plan of action? I'd rather not order a new steerer tube from Marzocchi unless I have to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    chris king headsets are pretty nice, but not really sure if they are low profile or not. if you think the tank mx on the p1 would work you should just get one of those. hope this helps

probably not though

mtbr member
    I'll sell you the headset off of my Demo 9 here in a little while. I have a King coming for it, and don't really like this stock Headset. So... if you want.. it's yours... for shipping + a few bucks. (or if you have any cool little parts lying around, I'd trade ya' up something)

-Matt
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

thanks, Matt

I think I've got it solved, though. I am going to try to use part of an old Cane Creek hs and see if it fits. I'll be in touch if it's unsuccessful- thanks for the offer!

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    I think I've got it solved, though. I am going to try to use part of an old Cane Creek hs and see if it fits. I'll be in touch if it's unsuccessful- thanks for the offer!
    which stem are you using? some stems are a LOT lower than others. check out http://www.go-ride.com/prod_stems.html or give them a call about which have low stack-heights. Off-hand I'd say the Kore or the Atomic are pretty low, but that just gives you an idea.

dante

Truvative Holzfeller 70mm. Yeah, I'd considered ordering a different stem, but I think it will work out. Plus the Holzfeller is just so PIMP, I'd hate to give it up!