The love-hate relationship of selling on-line- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    ebay helps you filter these scammers. i would still list it on mtbr and such.
    Last edited by bighit; 04-02-2009 at 07:04 AM.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member

The love-hate relationship of selling on-line

Don't you just love the scammers out there... will they ever change the lame a$$ spin they use?

Hello I'm Mark nelson, I hail from Canada in ottawa city, I came across your
    advert and am highly interested in Purchasing your ( BIKE) which you offer forsale.I Due to the fact that its been a long time have been searching for it, Please Kindly get back to me as soon as possible with the necessary answers to the question in mind, Are you the first owner? Whats The present condition? Your final asking price?And I will also like you to send me Pictures to enable me view what I intend to purchase and i will like you to
    know that my form of payment is through a Certified Check or a USPS Money
    Order .. I await your urgent response so that we can proceed further.PLS
    REPLY DIRECT TO MY MAILBOX FOR QUICK RESPONSED AT ( [email protected])
    Regards
    MARK

Why do l care where they are from?
    What's with the random ALL CAPS?
    Who cares how many people owned something?
    Final asking price?!?!?! Even if it was legit, that's not how it works!!!
    When someone puts something up for sale, they don't list it at the lowest possible price they will take -- unless they just want to get rid of it and don't give a hoot.

The way it works:
    Buyer: l saw your ad on the XYZ, what's the lowest price you'll take?
    Seller: make me an offer.
    Buyer: Ok, how's about $100, shipped?
    Seller: you're nuts, $100 won't even cover shipping, add a 0 to that and l'll think about it.

Here's another:

AGAIN, WITH THE ALL CAPS?
    Mr. Brown -- classic
    Learn how to write!!!
    What's with the .......... between each sentence?
    "IF IT A LEGAL"? huh?

In a message dated 4/1/2009 10:32:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
    HELLO SELLER,
    I AM MR BROWN FROM SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA........I SAW YOUR ITEM POSTED..I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN PURCHASING IT ..BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT A LEGAL AND DOES NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM.....PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE ACTUAL AMOUNT OF THE ITEM...LOOKING FORWARD TO HERE FROM YOU...
    THANKS

Every once in a while, l'll mess with these people and scam them back --- l hope l cost em hard earned money.. l'll have them "OverNite" me a "check" which can cost at least $16 depending on what service they use. l had a nice little collection of those bogus checks.

With the number of things l put on-line, l must get at least 10 of emails like this per ad. If they're still doing it, people must still be falling for it. true?

Do they go to scammer skool for this? they all read the same...
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    we use Ebay but, only once in a while: it's just too costly after factoring in all the fees.
    The only time l'll use it is when it's a specialty item, something that is somewhat hard to come by.

Besides all the fees, Ebay kind of ticks me off too. Not cause of what they do to us, we're fine, no problems, we really don;t use it enough to have problems, it's what they have done to other people that l know.

e.g. two customers of mine had accounts suspended because of a scammers (jerks) who filed complaints. Ebay suspended their accounts until they was able to get their feed back in good standings? or something like that..

huh? how do you get your status back up if your account has been suspended?
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

Its got what plants crave
    Ebay is pretty lame, but I have listed things that sold for outrageous prices there. It's easy to make some quick cash there because people pay top dollar for bottom end stuff. I've never figured out why.

banned
    It always bugs me when people are trying to be polite, but then abbreviate the word "please".

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    mtbr is the worst for scammers. I had a bike up for quite a while (months) and more than 50% of the hits I got were scammers. I think is because they contact through email. Pinkbike has a nice IM system that they can monitor a little better. I only got one scammer through them and they flaged him/her with in a couple hours. The only bad things about ebay are the limmited time, price and all the low ballers.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

Living the High Life
    My favorite is always when they tell you "consider the item sold" and "my person will finish the transaction". Most of them are bots that fish for responses and after a while you'll get a human I know. But you'd think they'd program them a bit better.

I have had good luck with craigslist. Local and in person. A phone call first is always good, you can get a feel for them and you can ask questions and they don't have as much time to make up BS.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Members who have read this thread: 0