Lopes signs with Ibis- Mtbr.com
    Deadhead
    Mar 2004

Lopes signs with Ibis

"If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    DW-Link comes full circle

i drink shower water
    looks like it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

dontcha?
    so he's gonna race cross-country now?
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    glad to see he's being taken cared of... cant believe GT dropped him after sooooo long...

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Well, he has re-signed with all his major sponsors, and most likely he's taking them to ibis.

Ibis had nothing but XC bikes in their lineup, maybe they will modify the mojo.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

ride hard take risks
    The Mojo could be a sweet 4X bike if it looses 1-1.25" travel.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

maker of trail
    Ohhhh I'm an idiot.... lol

I kept reading "lopez signed with Ibex" hahahahahahah

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    Ohhhh I'm an idiot.... lol

I kept reading "lopez signed with Ibex" hahahahahahah
    what?? you made me jump out of my body for a bit... XD

mtbr member
    Ibis will probably be the next frame maker using the DW link on a DH bike. I am guessing there will be production frames for the 2009 season, the same year/season Iron Horse will be unable to use the technology.

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    Ha, perhaps an Ibis Sunday is in the works? Just doesn't sound right. Hopefully Lopes will quit being such an arrogant prick now that he's got a different sponsor...doubt it though.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Freerider Forever
    Ha, perhaps an Ibis Sunday is in the works? Just doesn't sound right. Hopefully Lopes will quit being such an arrogant prick now that he's got a different sponsor...doubt it though.

how could you say such a thing like that - see - right here - bottom line of that press release -

"Brian is obviously a super talented rider, and beyond that he's a personable and approachable guy who is a lot of fun to be around."

I mean - if he was such an impersonal arrogant prick - why would they need to point out how personable and fun he is?

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    how could you say such a thing like that - see - right here - bottom line of that press release -

"Brian is obviously a super talented rider, and beyond that he's a personable and approachable guy who is a lot of fun to be around."

I mean - if he was such an impersonal arrogant prick - why would they need to point out how personable and fun he is?
    lol.......
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam

Ummm, don't believe everything you read...especially from an Ibis press release. Of course they want him to sound good.

If you need further proof, here's some text right from his website...what a sore loser:

At 4:30am the event finally was over and Gee Atherton I guess you could say won. The reason I say it like that is because I was winning and he took me out so bad even his brother Dan was like, "man, you have not had too good of luck with being taken out this year". He hit me so hard, straight T-boning me that it was like I got blind sided. I didn't even see him until we were both crashing. My front wheel was so bent it would not spin, so basically Gee got up and just rolled down the rest of the course.

Pretty amazing that he would pulll a move like that, especially in an event like this. I guess I will have to add Gee to my hit list of people that have one coming to them from me. It's not a good list to be on, because when and if I get the chance, there is going to be some damage done. Marossi, and Tsugg are also on this list. The lucky thing for these guys is that 99% of the time they are behind me, making it hard for me make them pay. Keep up the dirty riding you losers! If you can't make a good move, then take the lose like a man, don't be a ***** and try these kamikazi moves.

Lopes

If you won't build I will
    Ummm, don't believe everything you read...especially from an Ibis press release. Of course they want him to sound good.

If you need further proof, here's some text right from his website...what a sore loser:

At 4:30am the event finally was over and Gee Atherton I guess you could say won. The reason I say it like that is because I was winning and he took me out so bad even his brother Dan was like, "man, you have not had too good of luck with being taken out this year". He hit me so hard, straight T-boning me that it was like I got blind sided. I didn't even see him until we were both crashing. My front wheel was so bent it would not spin, so basically Gee got up and just rolled down the rest of the course.

Pretty amazing that he would pulll a move like that, especially in an event like this. I guess I will have to add Gee to my hit list of people that have one coming to them from me. It's not a good list to be on, because when and if I get the chance, there is going to be some damage done. Marossi, and Tsugg are also on this list. The lucky thing for these guys is that 99% of the time they are behind me, making it hard for me make them pay. Keep up the dirty riding you losers! If you can't make a good move, then take the lose like a man, don't be a ***** and try these kamikazi moves.

Lopes
    People crash, get over it. I don't think anyone would risk there own body to win by crashing in to some one.
    He didn't say anything about getting spanked by 17 year old JD at the 3ride last year, that was sweet!

mtbr member
    yeah i wouldn't want someone on my brand that writes letters like that on his website. they'll probably make a DH race frame though.. they mention in the press release he is helping w/ current projects.

General Rabble-Rouser

Pretty amazing that he would pulll a move like that, especially in an event like this. I guess I will have to add Gee to my hit list of people that have one coming to them from me. It's not a good list to be on,because when and if I get the chance, there is going to be some damage done. Marossi, and Tsugg are also on this list. The lucky thing for these guys is that 99% of the time they are behind me, making it hard for me make them pay. Keep up the dirty riding you losers! If you can't make a good move, then take the lose like a man, don't be a ***** and try these kamikazi moves.

Lopes[/I]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    if it means anything...i thought he was nice when i met him and it wasn't too much after he found out he was dropped by gt...i would have been hella pissy if that happened to me

not a forum admin
    deleted

squish is good
    More info off his website:

http://www.brianlopes.com/archives/000239.html

That makes it sound like he will be using the Mojo for... something? Not sure what category that bike would fall into. Could we possibly see a full carbon DH bike? I hope so!
    Bike good, work bad.

ride hard take risks
    Ibis did a full carbon DH bike in '99. Brian hasnt fallowed the DH circuit in a long time so for Ibis to whoop up a 4X should be pretty simple. As for his tude there is always a difference between talking to someone & reading.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

jones'in
    I think Atomic Adam was being facetious.....(at least I hope he was).
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    I think Atomic Adam was being facetious.....(at least I hope he was).
    Yea, I hope he was too...I guess I don't post on here enough to know if he was being serious or not.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Well, he has re-signed with all his major sponsors, and most likely he's taking them to ibis.

Ibis had nothing but XC bikes in their lineup, maybe they will modify the mojo.
    XC rider now??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

not a forum admin
    Yea, I hope he was too...I guess I don't post on here enough to know if he was being serious or not.
    I am being as facetious Ibis is telling the truth!

EastBaySteez
    A LBS owner I talked to about a month ago (supposedly he is in contact with Lopes) said that he as had been testing with Ibis for awhile. He was considering it heavily and would change his riding over to more of Endurance and XC type races. Hes not getting any younger.

Something along those lines.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Last year at Sea Otter there were a couple guys racing dual slalom on Ibis Mojo's.

And I met him too, and he was alright. All he did was stare at my girlfriend's boobs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hmmm...makes sense why he was spotted in Scotts Valley a few weeks ago
    1x9's rule

mtbr member
    Wow, Lopes sounds like quite the bag of sh*t. "On my Hit List", "Losers"? Are you kidding me? This is his career! You can't talk trash about your opponents like that in the world of sponsored professional racing, and if you do, not only are you jeopardizing your sponsorships, but your proving to everyone how much of an arrogant pr*ck you are.

Sorry atomicAdam, but were you reading the same thing I was?

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Could we possibly see a full carbon DH bike? I hope so!

Ever seen the Lahar DH bike?

34Rfpnt.jpg
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    Last year at Sea Otter there were a couple guys racing dual slalom on Ibis Mojo's.

And I met him too, and he was alright. All he did was stare at my girlfriend's boobs.
    I would have too.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I would have too.
    Post a pic, so I can see if I would have?
    Can't stop, Won't stop.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Brian Lopes running marathon DH? Hmmmmm...

Well, he has experience running with the CF stuff. If I remember GT gave him a CF DS bike, if you check the Marzo 2008 catalog, he rode that bike in Sea Otter. But on other events he went to his trusty Lopes 55. (would love to have that bike,though)

As for him being a prik, he's coming to my country with Hans Rey this April. Maybe I could see for myself about his legendary "attitude", and for him to sign my helmet.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks

...... or her pass to the show
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yea, I figured, but it's more funny this way. He was probably thinking "who the hell is this girl and why won't she leave me alone?"

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Ever seen the Lahar DH bike?
    I have, just never seen it race. Yeah, I'm not sure Lopes is going to jump back into the big time downhill scene again but I wouldn't mind seeing what Ibis can come up with as a gravity bike.
    Last edited by Clutchman83; 02-28-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Wow, Lopes sounds like quite the bag of sh*t. "On my Hit List", "Losers"? Are you kidding me? This is his career! You can't talk trash about your opponents like that in the world of sponsored professional racing, and if you do, not only are you jeopardizing your sponsorships, but your proving to everyone how much of an arrogant pr*ck you are.

Sorry atomicAdam, but were you reading the same thing I was?
    Dude, he is a professional biker that makes his living by winning races. I am sure you would be *****ing just like that if you felt that you were cut off in a way that you felt was out of the norm.
    Hell Lopes could have had some huge bonus riding on a win and it was cut off by someone being stupid during the race.
    There are times during everyones professional career when they are rubbed the wrong way and they speak up about them, this may be the case for lopes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    Dude, he is a professional biker that makes his living by winning races. I am sure you would be *****ing just like that if you felt that you were cut off in a way that you felt was out of the norm.
    Hell Lopes could have had some huge bonus riding on a win and it was cut off by someone being stupid during the race.
    There are times during everyones professional career when they are rubbed the wrong way and they speak up about them, this may be the case for lopes.
    Yeah, I would be pissed, but I would also compose myself like a professional. I might talk to race officials about it, or approach the rider who I feel maliciously cut me off. I wouldn't go on the internet and talk a bunch of sh*t, claiming that I was going to intentionally take out an opponent and possible injure him.

I'm not saying that he's wrong to be angry, but I am saying that the way he handled it in a very unprofessional and immature way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    A LBS owner I talked to about a month ago (supposedly he is in contact with Lopes) said that he as had been testing with Ibis for awhile. He was considering it heavily and would change his riding over to more of Endurance and XC type races. Hes not getting any younger.

Something along those lines.
    I doubt he will stop racing 4x and DS, hes still winning
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Or a BCD.

But I think the Mojo would make a pretty good 4x racer, the angles look pretty standard. especially if they made a 4" travel version. I suppose though that he would race a custom geo version of their hard tail most of the time, though.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    agree on the Mojo making a good 4X racer. Stiffer suspension, like the way Lopes did with Marzo on the development of the 4X fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0