Loose Headset?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Loose Headset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Loose Headset?

My front tire slid out when I was going pretty fast, and the result was a headset that was loose. It's a chris king headset which I thought was to be indestructible. When I apply the front brake the fork steerer tube has some space to wiggle back and forth. It seems like part of the headset got jolted loose. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Anyways, I can just bring it to a bike shop but if its something I can fix at home, I'd rather do that. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    I had the same problem. Replace the star nut inside the steerer tube. If that doesnt work you need to buy and azonic headlock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Why would the star nut be the problem? I dont see how it is

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    have you tried just loosening everything, checking for cracks and ovalization, regreasing and retorquing everything to spec? particularly the headset stack preload.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is there any site for headset noobs? because I am one. I don't know what the headset stack preload is. Sorry

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    it's the bolt at the top of your headset. it threads into the starnut inside your steer tube, and tightening that bolt (not too tight) preloads the headset stack and keeps everything firmly in place while you torque your stem.

check out the Park Tools how-to section, they have lots of detailed tutorials on bicycle maintenance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I see, yeah, that thing is tight but its still loose. Ill check the park tool site

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    got it fixed folks.. I just needed to loosen the stem and then tighten the preload.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fisherdude4eva]I see, yeah, that thing is tight but its still loose. Ill check the park tool site[/QUOTE

if you tighten it and it gets loose you probably need a new star nut. It sometimes starts to rust and loses strength. Just try it a new one costs 50 cents.

mtbr member
    Oooohh i thought you kept tightening it and it kept coming loose. I assumed you knew how to tighten it.

Glad to Be Alive
    have a friend show you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah got a friend to tell me. Headsets are one of the few things I don't know about well on a bike. I sent my bike to a shop to put the headset in but I built everything else

Members who have read this thread: 0