Looking for Mr. Right Now- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking for Mr. Right Now

I realize that the "multipurpose bikes" thread almost covers my question but I have one stipulation. I don't have that kind of money!

I've always been into DH and drops <6' and just bought cheap bikes because I knew I'd bust them and have to buy another. I've been riding this style since I was a kid.

Now I'm making more buddies who are into the rough technical trail rides (lots of roots, steep climbs) and I'd like to keep up without sucking wind the whole time.

I don't need a Mr. Right so much as a Mr. Right Now-that-won't-fall-apart-or-kill-me. haha. Any suggestions sub $500 that can last a season? I can save up and drop the big bucks next year. I just need something to get me through the summer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Oh and I'm 5'6" 130lb female so things like mushy forks and weaker frames won't bother me like they would a 200lb guy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    See as most of us consider $500 a bargain for forks...

Sub $500 is a hard range for many of us to hit, because that almost always means used. A new bike in that price range will likely not be capable of "DH and drops<6'." You can find bikes from time to time on craigslist that will fit the bill, maybe an older kona dawg/coiler or Giant AC. You may get lucky and find a guy who doesn't know what his specialized enduro is worth.

My point is, it will be something cheap and used in your local area. Where do you live? Maybe we can help you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I live in Ohio and I'm willing to drive quite a ways if need be. I can also shop on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Like what do we think of this?

should know better.....
    That bike's fork looks like its bent. I wouldn't touch it w/a ten foot pole.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Most used DH bikes seem to be at least 800-1000 or more.

What have you been riding for sub 500?

Other than ebay you can try: www.craigslist.org

Few DJ hardtails may fit your needs. Specialized P1 or Giant STP
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/b...min&maxAsk=500

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1198973567.html

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    More than $100 over what I wanted to spend Kona

Ending soon Specialized

And a little used Fuji

Any of these look good?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RCdropper
    More than $100 over what I wanted to spend Kona

Ending soon Specialized

And a little used Fuji

Any of these look good?
    The STP has obviously been ridden hard, and the fork is bent, but those types of bikes aren't necessarily bad.

What is bad is that at a low pricepoint they don't come with parts that are strong enough to stand up to the abuse that the frame can. They don't come with dirt-jumping/freeride forks, they come with cheap forks designed for light trail riding. A good example is how you can get the higher end STPs and eventually they have overbuilt cranks, dirt-jumping forks, and so on. Those ones are more like $1000 retail at least, but on the other hand someone might have a used one for a lot cheaper.

The Fuji has an XC fork and parts, and while they are nice they won't hold up.

The Specialized looks decent, but it has 24" wheels! Only for BMX/dirt jumping for the most part. You'd hate it on the trail.

The Kona looks decent actually. No frills and it will be heavy, but it will do the job pretty well. But that's kind of the way it is, pay to play, and you simply have to pony up to the required amount that it takes, or you'll kill bikes, possibly injure yourself (which may happen anyway, but that's the sport eh?) and generally be unhappy. So the best advice would be to not do anything hasty, wait a little if you have to, save up a little more if you have to, or wait till that "better deal" comes along.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Seriously if your only looking to spend 500,you'd be better off saving for a more overall dependable durable bike,even with the depressed market a reliable durable bike for around 500 would be difficult to find,just by doubling your amount you could buy a very nice hooked up bike,it;s already a risky sport without having to buy and ride a questionably used cheap bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    The STP has obviously been ridden hard, and the fork is bent, but those types of bikes aren't necessarily bad.

What is bad is that at a low pricepoint they don't come with parts that are strong enough to stand up to the abuse that the frame can. They don't come with dirt-jumping/freeride forks, they come with cheap forks designed for light trail riding. A good example is how you can get the higher end STPs and eventually they have overbuilt cranks, dirt-jumping forks, and so on. Those ones are more like $1000 retail at least, but on the other hand someone might have a used one for a lot cheaper.

The Fuji has an XC fork and parts, and while they are nice they won't hold up.

The Specialized looks decent, but it has 24" wheels! Only for BMX/dirt jumping for the most part. You'd hate it on the trail.

The Kona looks decent actually. No frills and it will be heavy, but it will do the job pretty well. But that's kind of the way it is, pay to play, and you simply have to pony up to the required amount that it takes, or you'll kill bikes, possibly injure yourself (which may happen anyway, but that's the sport eh?) and generally be unhappy. So the best advice would be to not do anything hasty, wait a little if you have to, save up a little more if you have to, or wait till that "better deal" comes along.
    Thank you for the wise words. You said the STP wasn't a bad bike so I found another. What do you think of this one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bump for e-pinions on this Giant STP

Glad to Be Alive
    you need to decide what exactly kind of riding you want....from my experience Ohio is pretty flat.....even the Mohican Forest doesn't have that much elevation change but it is still fun...that would be a decent all around bike....parts are real cheap like the v-brakes....you get what you paid for.....I myself would save up anothe 300 to 500 more and get a kona coiler air....about the same as a STP for pedaling, disc brakes, better shifting, and a little suspension.....plus change to a coil shock and hit the resorts

the second STP looks clean but you may buy it cheaper without ebay fees at BIKEPEDIA.COM
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the response. You're right there isn't much climbing in mid-Ohio. I really can't justify spending a grand on a bike (you know, debt, bills and all) so I think I'm going to go with the STP for now. I'll take a look over at bikepedia.

mtbr member
    That STP is a HUGE rip off. That bike was $475 brand new way back in 2004. I know because I have one. So this clown bought this bike 4 years ago, rode it, and now he's selling it for what he paid. No thanks. Check the pinkbike classifieds and you can find a used hardtail with a MUCH nicer build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Have any examples?

mtbr member
    you'll end up spending more in the long run if you try to ride too cheap... you just end up buying more and more stuff to replace the stuff that doesn't hold up.

be patient, save your money until you can buy a bike that will hold up.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

Premium Member
    Look for something like an STP or Specialized P.2 for a good used budget jumping hardtail. It won't break on you, and will hold its value OK too.

mtbr member
    I have a STP, it is a nice ride but it climbs like poop. Good thing it is flat in Ohio.

You will want a nice fork on a bike like that, it is one stiff bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Stumpjumper good?

OK I found a Specialized Stumpjumper in my area. Here are pics, specs and price. What do you guys think?

Asking $550

Year 2000 Small frame. Rock Shox SID. Cane Creek Headset. Race face carbon fiber cranks, XTR rear derailleur, Mavic Wheels, Rock Shox seatpost, Time ATAC pedals, V-brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Great for XC, but not for drops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What if I decide to lay off the drops? Is this a good deal?

Scottish Bike Ninja
    Check spokejunkies.com... they have a huge Ohio group that are always selling used stuff fairly cheap.

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    For that SJ? No, not at all. Pretty outtdated, you think, it's now 9 years old. Just keep an eye open.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Stay thirsty my friends
    If your going to do some serious DH'ing on a hardtail RC I would suggest you stay away from the XC oriented frames, the framesets don't have the beef or rigidity to handle abuse. The STP is probably the closest to what your looking for...being that it is a dirt jump style hardtail and has air time abuse designed into it.

That being said there are a lot of dirt jumper style hardtails out there and many more manufacturers to choose from. To assist yourself in determining appropriate usage review the geometry of the bike your looking at, XC bikes are completely different than DH capable hardtails such as the STP.

Of course the riding you describe could be handled by a 5-6" travel "all mountain" bike, but like all things in life its a compromise and you trade DH ability for climbing ability and lower weight.

I would find a good LBS in your area and check out their used bike section, being able to ride what your looking at and knowing any issues would be taken care of is something to consider as valuable if you have limited technical ability to care for the bike.

I will say your $500 financial restriction is kind of unrealistic even if all you need it to last is one season, I can't think of one situation where a cheap piece of junk is a bargain especially when its your teeth that will be broken if you jump that single wall front wheel and it tacos under you on the off camber landing (been there done that ).

There a few interesting bikes near you on Pinkbike in Pennsylvania, heres a link to the dirt jumper "for sale" in PA page, not much in Ohio I'm afraid.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...=194&provid=51

For a dirt jumper hardtail its hard to go wrong with a Kona, just my experience from being around guys who had them and loved them. They are plentiful and durable so getting a decent deal is more likely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Post like this again and you will be banned.
    Last edited by zachdank; 06-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I def recomend checking out pinkbike, just picked up my kona stinky off there, got a great deal. I've had a P3, and it seemed like a beefy frame. Those can be found around your price range im sure

err, 27.5+
    Your price range pretty much shoots you down before you even get out of the gate. I am going to say it again, save up some more cash. Getting into the $800-1000 range you will start to see legitimate offerings. I got my Heckler, a 2yr old demo, for $1000. At the time there was a lot in the $1000-1200 range. One thing that can help stretch your money is to get a lesser mfg (think iron horse, haro, K2, etc). Most of these mfg copy decent geometry and will run a lot less than big name brands like Kona, specialized, etc.

Next hurdle is the size, since you are on the smaller end of the spectrum there aren't as many bikes to choose from. Looking around on ebay it is pretty slim pickings on smaller bikes.

Lastly, you mention wanting something that can take a 6ft drop and also not have you sucking wind on the climbs Cheap, light, durable pick two. You can't have all three. IE cheap and durable won't be light.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Azonic Steelhead?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ha yea I understand it's unreasonable to ask for it all. I'm starting to think I belong in the AM forum? I'm not sure.

1. I'm riding flat-ish single track trails with LOTS of roots.
    2. I also like to pop off any drop I can find (and go down stairs).

I don't need a strait XC bike, I don't like those long aerobic rides. and because I don't do a lot of climbing weight isn't a big deal.

I also don't need the insane travel of a strait up DHer.

I still don't know if I should be looking for full or front suspension. I understand I can get a better front suspension bike for the same price as a lesser full suspension.

If $500 is unreasonable, what is a decent LOW priced bike going to cost me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    save up 800-1000 and buy a used heckler. Done done done done.

Ricky DH
    I had a friend that just found a hardly-used, size small, Giant Reign on Craig's List here in Denver for 700 bucks. A bike like that will be good for trails and drops.

maker of trail
    I picked up a used norco bigfoot with 8" HFX9's front/back and half decent wheels/tires and a fairly poopy DJ fork, cost me $450 canadian pessos. That was enough to get me back into the sport and was easily capable on the limited DH we have here.

A hard tail will beat you up more, but is defo doable for DH and drops.

If you want it to be comfortable goin down and off of drops, look for shore oriented hard tails, slacker HA's and lower standover.

Things like the STP etc are jumpy bikes and will tend to have steeper HA which will feel sketchy going down steep stuff.

That dude selling the 100yr old SJ is takin the pi$$ at $500, $100 maybe...

ready to ride
    I started out with a budget like yours only less($300)but I saved for a year or so to buy my bike. I checked craigslist everyday during that time and came up with my ride for $800. It was only a year old and in super good condition
    my point is keep looking untils somthing looks good then jump on it.and while doing so save every penny.
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice. You guys have me convinced. I'm going to set aside a little more money and keep my eyes open for the right one. I'll probably be posting on here though as I don't trust my judgement/don't know enough about bikes yet. When I get a solid YES from the group I'll jump on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So..I wouldn't want an 07 rockhopper at $475? Is the deal that I pretty much should get a full suspension?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    So..I wouldn't want an 07 rockhopper at $475? Is the deal that I pretty much should get a full suspension?
    Not necessarily a full suspension, but once again, stay away from the XC frames. With the riding style you're describing, you want a more burly frame full or front suspension. Speaking from experience, the geometry of XC bikes makes DH/FR harder.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Okay gotcha no XC. Above an enduro was mentioned and I just found one in my area. It's a size medium but I asked them to measure the inches as I'm looking for something 15-16. This is the link.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/1204504406.html

DownCycles.com
    http://www.downcycles.com/store/2007...old-p-508.html

Talk to AJ, the owner. He hooked me up with an Iron Horse in 2007 for $500.00

A quality frame outfitted with entry level gear. It's great for the budget, and is completely upgradeable.
    Nothing is Permanent

ready to ride
    I dont think that that enduro would do that great. the older enduros arent built so well for your 6' drops my freind just got a JAMIS KOMODO 3 and its pretty nice he spent $725
    for it it would be a pretty good hardtail
    N* = <3 <3]

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    I've got a Norco Rampage, its the gnarliest hardtail FR bike Norco makes and I frikkin love it. Ive done up to about a 6' to flat and several 3-6' trannys. Its got a 55TST2 (160mm) and it honestly hasnt even flinched other than sheering off my derailleur last week. I picked it up, brand new from Norco and a shop in New Brunswick WITH shipping to Texas for $765! So thats something you could look into, they also make a Bigfoot, Manik, and Sasquach which are from bottom to top of the line and you can usually find them MUCH cheaper than the Rampage's $2100 MSRP.

However, for the bigger drops and to help save my knees from blowing out on the daily on stuff up to and bigger than 6' I grabbed an Iron Horse 7Point on closeout for $1500 and love it too...whole nother monster when it comes to hucking though...42lbs.

I'd suggest though for ease of the wallet, look into Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki's...6" frame and can take a 7" fork. My buddy just picked one up hardly ridden in perfect condition locally for $550 complete! New they are $1100. Craigslist is where he found that deal.

Also, ask your LBS about 'defective stuff from manufactuerers...sometimes they can pick up BRAND new frames for $50 or so and fix them if they are simple enough fixes...just depends. Some can be as small as paint defects...so just ask.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was just riding my buddy's wally world full suspension around and that is smoooooth even if it is crap. Then I thought I'd take it off the porch. Um. No. OTB and now I'm nursing a gash in my hand and wacked my elbow and shin pretty nicely. Ah well live and learn. I think I broke her bike though...

mtbr member

Upset Hey William42, go F yourself!

No, *******, somebody did not HAVE to do it. You are a slime bag. She posted on here asking for advice and didn't deserve this. Go crawl back into your hole you slimy little man. I hope you get kicked off MTBR for that.
    Last edited by zachdank; 06-09-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzchick
    No, *******, somebody did not HAVE to do it. You are a slime bag. She posted on here asking for advice and didn't deserve this. Go crawl back into your hole you slimy little man. I hope you get kicked off MTBR for that.

WTF?? That was pretty uncalled for . . . . some people.

mtbr member
    as uncalled for as spewing what he did at a person who came into this forum and asked a legitimate question? My guess is if a poster identified themselves as being African American and then someone jumped in with an insulting racial tirade that he would have been flamed by many more than just me, but since it was a woman posting and the unprovoked harassing comments were of a sexual/threatening nature then it's really no big deal?
    Some people indeed. . .

Ricky DH
    as uncalled for as spewing what he did at a person who came into this forum and asked a legitimate question? My guess is if a poster identified themselves as being African American and then someone jumped in with an insulting racial tirade that he would have been flamed by many more than just me, but since it was a woman posting and the unprovoked harassing comments were of a sexual/threatening nature then it's really no big deal?
    Some people indeed. . .

You missunderstood me. I meant what he said was uncalled for. Not what you said. Sorry about the confusion.

maker of trail
    Ah yes the good old "I quoted the wrong post" excuse when getting lynched

mtbr member
    Some people indeed. . .
    I don't condone what William42 said but the title of her original post was "Looking for Mr. Right Now".
    I don't know how it is in SantaCruz but Mr "Right Now" means looking to have short term relationship, possibly casual sex where I come from. So her first post wasn't exactly "mother theresa" like!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You could...but that would be lame. Wait till you find what your really looking for, rather than the 1st good deal you come across.

ready to ride
    anyway...........back to bikes.......
    N* = <3 <3]

err, 27.5+
    as uncalled for as spewing what he did at a person who came into this forum and asked a legitimate question?
    Hell hath no fury like a "liberated" woman in Santa Cruz with a bone to pick. I don't miss that part of SC at all. There is no excuse for blowing your top like you did. If you are wound that tight then maybe you can find a place on the internet to cast your net with less controversial folks around. On mtbr you will find real people. Some of whom will jest when the opportunity presents. The only uncalled for spewing here is yours
    This is a fairly well moderated forum. The original comment was a bit colorful, but was also cheeky and topical (at least in jest to the title of this thread). If it were out of line enough to raise more that a reasonable doubt it would be removed in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Chances are Mr. right now is going to wind up being an ironhorse warrior 4.0 if I can't find anything better on cl. I can't justify spending a grand on a bike at this time.

mtbr member
    "I dont think that that enduro would do that great. the older enduros arent built so well for your 6' drops my freind just got a JAMIS KOMODO 3 and its pretty nice he spent $725
    for it it would be a pretty good hardtail"

+1 for the komodo

expensive but good, jenson has one for i think 700.
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    woops! I thought it'd be funny, apologies to anybody offended. Didn't realize the OP was a women, although its ok to lighten up a little, somebody did post "looking for Mr. Right Now" in the DH forum, it is a bit of a funny title, I was just poking fun at it. Anyway, sorry to the OP if that was offensive and asinine, I didn't realize the sensitivity of the situation I guess.

Now with More Wood
    Is it too late to break out the popcorn or are you guys going to continue the PC-fight?

C'mon, 'tis the DH forum in here, only thick-skinned people allowed. And before anybody out there with actual thick skin feels offended, I meant that figuratively speaking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think only one person is offended.

Anyway, does anyone have anything absolutely terrible to say about the ironhorse warrior 4.0? Because I think I'm going with it.

maker of trail
    Nothing really wrong with it, its a pretty good little first bike. Head angle is a bit steep and the drive train and brakes a pretty average, ridem till they die and replace with decent stuff.

I'd say unless they (or their parrents) were made of cash, everyone here started on something like this or less. get it and have fun!

ready to ride
    I think only one person is offended.

Anyway, does anyone have anything absolutely terrible to say about the ironhorse warrior 4.0? Because I think I'm going with it.
    Not offended just stopping this thread from becoming a bad joke.
    anyway that might work with a few upgrades

Stroger cranks
    Brakes
    etc
    Last edited by ridefreeride; 06-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    N* = <3 <3]

Members who have read this thread: 0