a little wheelie help needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

a little wheelie help needed

Hey guys, I know a lot of you are good at riding walking-speed and long distance wheelies so I figured I'd ask for a little help. I can find my bike'sf orward/back balance point just fine using the brake and pedalstroke. If don't tip to the side can sometimes get 100ft, but other times I tip sideways in 10ft. My problem is that often I find myself tipping to one side or the other and have to bring the wheel down to keep from tipping over sideways, never forward/back. No matter how much I try to use my knees or twist the bars I can't seem to stay straight. A lot of the time I feel like I'm tipped from the second I get the wheel up.

Any suggestions?

If I'm tipping to my right, should I put out my left knee and turn the bars to the left as well? It seems like there is a lot of conflicting info out there about which way to turn the bars when you are tipping( some say if tipping right turn bars right, other say if tipping right turn them left). THANKS GUYS!!!

jonny carson isn't dead
    you gotta actually balance by steering with your rear wheel

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sarcon69
    you gotta actually balance by steering with your rear wheel
    what if I just want to straighten myself out from tipping though?

Glad to Be Alive
    just keep practicing and you will figure it out
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    just keep practicing and you will figure it out
    so which way would you turn the bars if you were straightening yourself out from tipping right?

Yay! Bikes !
    use your hips.

If you are seated, and I'm assuming you are, push the bike to the side with your hips/butt to correct a lean.

I actually used to practice wheelies while rocking side to side with my butt, exagerating the motion. This move also makes riding wheelies through turns easier. Lean, correct ... lean, correct ...

DIG OR DIE
    ITS ALL ON YOU do it enought and youll get it .i have a bro that can throw down on his bike but he could not ride wheelies to save his life. so every time he road wich is every day he would spend an hour just trying to ride wheelies.after 1 monthy he can ride them forevery.i got wheelis the same way.it works.try messing with your seat hight good luck.

Riding with...

tsk..tsk..

like said, alot of practice is almost everything, heres a tip though.

feel relaxed, just chill. if u start to fall to the right, lean ur but or hips to the right, or whichever way u are falling, then the bike should striaten out some then lean a little to the opposite way then in the middle again. keep practicing. turn ur wheel as ur leaning also and vise versa combonation, but the more u practice the more ur going to figure out little ways to stop yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

Jersey Hucker
    its all in the run up. you gotta relax and make sure your body is straight (especially your hips and stomach) as you lift up the wheel to start the wheelie. just keep practicing this and especially note the position you sit in as you wheelie. looking ahead as you wheelie also helps because a lot of balance is in your head (ears). to work on your side to side balance just practice trackstands and blancing with your bike stopped. keep even pedeling in mind as well as you wheelie into the sunset.

I post too much.
    Your strength should be equal on each side when lifting up the front end, then it's all practice and balance, next step: rolling down a steep hill while on a manual and steering through some traffic

Riding with...
    hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxRider77
    its all in the run up.
    you gotta relax,
    and make sure your body is straight.(especially your hips and stomach)
    as you lift up the wheel to start the wheelie.
    just keep practicing this,
    and especially note the position you sit in as you wheelie.
    looking ahead as you wheelie also helps because a lot of balance is in your head (ears). to work on your side to side balance,
    just practice trackstands and blancing with your bike stopped.
    keep even pedeling in mind,
    as well as you wheelie into the sunset.
    idk.. i thought it was kinda poetic somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    ok, cool. Thanks for all the help. It seems like people have quite a few different strategies and there is no one uniform way to learn side to side balance....Except practice! I'm good with trial and error, but figured it might be easier to skip a couple steps and get tips from people that could do it well. The one thing that confused me is the comment about leaning to the right if you are tipping to the right...Is this right or a typo? Wouldn't that exaggerate the tipping even more instead of straightening out?

mtbr member
    Break out the uni.. I heard it helps ones balance... It also seems easier to practicing wheeling going uphills.. but I suck at them :0 welcome to the board
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0