A little help needed with choosing a chain guide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

A little help needed with choosing a chain guide

I'm dropping my bike down to 1 chain ring, and am thinking about getting a chain guide for it. I want this partly for obvious reason of stopping my chain dropping off, but there is another reason I want one. I get awfully fed up when I go through rock gardens and just bumpy aras in general, I can constantly hear my chain clattering against the chain stay. I figure going to a single ring and shortening the chain a bit will probably help this, but will a chain guide further reduce it at all? I should probably mention at this point that I ride a hardtail.

Either way I'm slightly stuck on which guide to get. I have a few criteria it needs to fill.

First off I need it to fit fine on my SC chameleon. It doesn't have an ISCG so I'd need to either get a guide that will fit on to the BB, or get an adapter. How does fitting it onto the BB work? There doesn't appear to be any gap between the BB and frame, does this mean I'd have to get a different BB. I should probably also mention here that I'm a complete noob when it comes to bike mechanics, but I'm eager to learn.

Secondly I want it to either come with, or be able to fit with a bashguard.

From this it seems that the obvious choice would be either the SRS, SS, ST or STS from E-13, or the system 3 from MRP. Can someone explain the difference between the E-13 guides, is it just the differene chain ring sizes that they can fit? Also how does the MRP guide compare with them?

Sorry, thats quite a large amount of text to read through.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    im too lazy and tired to go in to the whole chain guide - guide...but i will tell you it probably wont stop the chain slap.

get an old tube, wrap it around the chain stay and secure with a zip tie. if you take your time, you can make it look neat and clean.

proper length of your chain helps too. chain around big cog in back and big cog in front(in your case, the only cog) with out going through the derailleur...then add two links.

mtbr member
    If it is just the noise you are concerned about, do as brillantesdv says, that will muffle the noise from chainslap. If you still want to go ahead and get a chainguide, most companies make bb mounted guides, pick your choice.
    You don't mention dropping your chain as a concern but noise, if you still want to buy a chainguide I swear by Gamut, the p20 is a wonderful and lite device.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lalocotequinta
    If it is just the noise you are concerned about, do as brillantesdv says, that will muffle the noise from chainslap. If you still want to go ahead and get a chainguide, most companies make bb mounted guides, pick your choice.
    You don't mention dropping your chain as a concern but noise, if you still want to buy a chainguide I swear by Gamut, the p20 is a wonderful and lite device.
    I already have a very soft neophene like chain stay protector and the noise still annoys me. So a chain guide won't help at all with chain slap?

Also just a technicallity but

Quote Originally Posted by Dheorl
    I want this partly for obvious reason of stopping my chain dropping off

mtbr member
    I wonder if the sound you are hearing is the chain hitting the front derailleur? the chain with slap the rear stay as well but padding it shuts it up almost totally.

If its the front D then removing it and replacing it with a guide make it dead silent... I use the MRP system 3 MINI ME, its made for smaller 32t front rings on my trail bike.

The BB mount guides get sandwiched between you BB and the frame, you probably have either a spacer or E type derailleur in there now so the guide will replace it.

All you will need to know is how to remove cranks and BB and put them back, you could get your shop to do it but like I said sometimes you can smack that lower roller up to high going over logs and being able to move it back yourself will be nice.

I already have a very soft neophene like chain stay protector and the noise still annoys me. So a chain guide won't help at all with chain slap?

check your six
    You can't go wrong with E.13. They have a new line this year for the more "budget" orientated rider. Slap an SRS on there and wrap your chainstay and you should be set.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Capricious youth...
    Gamut. DONE.

www.gamutusa.com

On a side note, I use super-sticky Velcro tape and slap the soft side on my chainstay. Protects as good if not better than anything else.
    Meh.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Dheorl,
    Depending on what ring size you want to run, and how much weight is a concern, I would suggest our new steel line of guides.

The SS guide (either in 36T or 40T max sizes) offers the same performance as our traditional SRS guide, only with a steel backplate. This adds a little weight, but is a very solid guide.
    http://www.e13components.com/product_ss.html

If weight is a concern, then you can step it up and go with either our new LG1+ or SRS+ in the 36T max size. Both are sub 200g, and designed to withstand the rigors of the top riders in the world.
    http://www.e13components.com/product_lg1plus.html

You would need the ISCG-05 version of whichever guide you choose, as it comes with the ISCG adapter you'd need.

As to keeping chainslap to a minimum, the tube method is traditionally the best way...with 2-3 zip ties to keep it in place. You can also use velcro...I like the spikey side, as it doesn't hold the mud in as much as the soft side.

Also, with a hardtail and a single ring up front, you can drastically shorten your chain.

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen

Glad to Be Alive
    what derailer you running...the cheaper derailers give you trouble like the deores...I recommend the X9's by sram....stronger springs hold it in place better......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think I probably want to run a 36T ring.

I am quite a weight weenie both bike wise and in person. I'm trying to get my bike down to 10kg, although I'm not sure I'll ever make it.

I've kinda written off the LG1 because as mentioned in my OP (don't blame you if you didn't read it all) I want a full bash guard, to try and stop some of the grease marks/cuts on my legs if I hit my chain.

The SRS+ did seem like the most likely choice when looking at your website, but I got a bit confussed. When I looked on chain reaction cycles which is where I get most of my bike parts, there were quite alot of SRS chain guides, but no SRS+. They had the SRS East Cost, SRS MTX, SRS MTX Extra wide, SRS MTX GT i-Drive, SRS MTX Ltd Edition, SRS MTX Wide and lastly the SRS MTX Wide Ltd Edition. None of these looked like the SRS+ on your website, what are they all?

Also with the SRS+, is the weight listed including the TurboCharger bash guard?

1 last question, sorry, but is the weight for the SuperCharger a type?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008

I run a Gamut-P30, 9spd and single ring and i still get chainslap. Don't get me wrong, running a shorter chain (1x9) and a chainguide does HELP, it doesn't cure the chainslap completely. When your booking through a rock garden, or roots, chainslap is pretty much inevitable.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Members who have read this thread: 0