LIttle Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: LIttle Help

Les Ride!!!!

LIttle Help

Hey guys im just getting into freeridin now and ive been ridin for about 2 mounts i can already catwalk for about 70-100 feet, i just have a few questions for you more experienced ppl out there, wat are the basic for jumping and droping in off stuff, im not a ***** but i have my limits and so does my bike its only a garyfisher wahoo 04, i also have a dirtbike helmet will that hold up if i go over the bars or hit a tree? Im just lokking for any input from good riders, also does anyone know wat kind of bike would be good for me bc i dont think i will be leaving the sport anytime soon, Thanks alot, and i must say all the ppl on this site rock!!!!!!

Ryan>>>>

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRiDeR
    Hey guys im just getting into freeridin now and ive been ridin for about 2 mounts i can already catwalk for about 70-100 feet, i just have a few questions for you more experienced ppl out there, wat are the basic for jumping and droping in off stuff, im not a ***** but i have my limits and so does my bike its only a garyfisher wahoo 04, i also have a dirtbike helmet will that hold up if i go over the bars or hit a tree? Im just lokking for any input from good riders, also does anyone know wat kind of bike would be good for me bc i dont think i will be leaving the sport anytime soon, Thanks alot, and i must say all the ppl on this site rock!!!!!!

Ryan>>>>
    what do you mean by catwalk? for jumps you just figure out how much speed you need and when you go off the lip pull up on the bars a little so you don't go over the bars. for drops just pull up off the edge, try to make your tires land evenly with the tranny.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    what do you mean by catwalk? for jumps you just figure out how much speed you need and when you go off the lip pull up on the bars a little so you don't go over the bars. for drops just pull up off the edge, try to make your tires land evenly with the tranny.
    he means manualing when standing up, i usually see it done on bmx bikes

if you want to take it up a notch, then bunny hop off lips of jumps for more air and pro hop, j hop, bronco, or wutever u call if off ledges if u want a greater distance cleared

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    what bike you looking for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    what bike you looking for...
    he is looking at buying a ruckus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bootleg

bootleg cnyn is fun nothing to bad upper ginger is def the hardest but not bad once you know the place its a blast there is some real fun side trails i ride there all the time cause i have a biz in vegas i will be there fri and sat this week

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bamxbam
    bootleg cnyn is fun nothing to bad upper ginger is def the hardest but not bad once you know the place its a blast there is some real fun side trails i ride there all the time cause i have a biz in vegas i will be there fri and sat this week
    i think you got the wrong thread, this is about a guy wanting to get into freeriding....

hey bj, i made up the ruckus.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    hey bj, i made up the ruckus.
    ahhhhh...ok buddy keep it real...

(ur trippin man)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Les Ride!!!!
    ya im just wanting to know how to stay in a catwalk w/o pedaling, do i have to go down a hill or something?,, and about the bike i need to know wat bike i can get for about 1000-1500 for freeriding, keep in mind i live in ontario so there not real and big **** aroind here, unless i want to jump of walmart building or something,,, lol jokes, i just saying that u guys in bc and **** go the best ridding and i envy you alot, thanks for the hell bj abd others that posted,,, CHEERS

Rj

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ya im just wanting to know how to stay in a catwalk w/o pedaling, do i have to go down a hill or something?,, and about the bike i need to know wat bike i can get for about 1000-1500 for freeriding, keep in mind i live in ontario so there not real and big **** aroind here, unless i want to jump of walmart building or something,,, lol jokes, i just saying that u guys in bc and **** go the best ridding and i envy you alot, thanks for the hell bj abd others that posted,,, CHEERS

Rj
    stinky, big hits, a lot of things... would you be considering used also? if you are looking at used, you could find some great bikes for that much $$.

Les Ride!!!!
    stinky, big hits, a lot of things... would you be considering used also? if you are looking at used, you could find some great bikes for that much $$.
    used would be good, but i dont know if all used bike hold up as well as a new one would,, thanks matt
    Rj

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    used would be good, but i dont know if all used bike hold up as well as a new one would,, thanks matt
    Rj
    here is a link to the pinkbike full suspension bike complete ads:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/buys...ist&category=1

you could look through the bikes in there for things you like, or if you already know what you want do a search for it...

ridemonkey and this site also have classifieds...

just be careful looking over the bikes you want, i wouldn't recommend getting any karpiels if you see them, or frame companies that are out of business.

go big or go home
    wtf is it with this catwalking ****? I don't think you need to pay all this money just for doing a catwalk for 1000 feet or whatever. I think you need to read up and learn more about the sport, maybe visit a local bike shop and they'll tell you what you need.

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    wtf is it with this catwalking ****? I don't think you need to pay all this money just for doing a catwalk for 1000 feet or whatever. I think you need to read up and learn more about the sport, maybe visit a local bike shop and they'll tell you what you need.
    his post also mentioned that he wanted to get into drops and jumps too.

i think you should you encourage him a little more, maybe give some suggestions...

he doesn't really need to go to a LBS, he could just save himself the trip and post his question on here.

i think you could have avoided this if you just read more in his post then the part about catwalking.

take it easy on him, he just wants to learn to be a totally cool freerider like the rest of us cool guys.

Les Ride!!!!
    Thanks again matt, and to the guy who thinks i want a better bike to do catwalks on, your wrong all i wanted was some tips and stuff on bikes tricks and evrey thing to do with free riding so next time dont make stupid post and read the post before u say that kind of stuff. Anyways i just have one more question for matt. Ok i was riding last nite and i found this drop id say its 15 feet down and its realy smooth, i just dont know if i can build a good landing rap and if i did land it clean would my bike hold up? (04 GAryfisher Wahoo)man i love this drop its sweet lso anyone who bikes around oshawa email me and ill show u it, but getting back to the point matt i just need to know how do i tell where i put the landing ramp? ill try to get a pic to show u guy it realy awsome,, oh ya i think if i can get like 1000 buck ill try to get a used stinky,, is that a good choice?..... thanks boys

Rj

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks again matt, and to the guy who thinks i want a better bike to do catwalks on, your wrong all i wanted was some tips and stuff on bikes tricks and evrey thing to do with free riding so next time dont make stupid post and read the post before u say that kind of stuff. Anyways i just have one more question for matt. Ok i was riding last nite and i found this drop id say its 15 feet down and its realy smooth, i just dont know if i can build a good landing rap and if i did land it clean would my bike hold up? (04 GAryfisher Wahoo)man i love this drop its sweet lso anyone who bikes around oshawa email me and ill show u it, but getting back to the point matt i just need to know how do i tell where i put the landing ramp? ill try to get a pic to show u guy it realy awsome,, oh ya i think if i can get like 1000 buck ill try to get a used stinky,, is that a good choice?..... thanks boys

Rj
    a pic would help...

anyway, i don't think that a fisher wahoo would hold up to it. it seems to be a bike designed more for recreation, much like my first mountain bike (trek 4100) if it's a 15 foot drop i would not do it. the fork, judy, i think is more of an xc/cruising around town deal...

it would put way too much stress on the frame and stuff to hit a drop that big. i can safely say that you would ride away with some part of your bike broken (rims, cranks, possibly frame, fork) etc...

try to get a pic of the drop on here and i can give you some advice. props to you if you hit it on that bike (even if something does go wrong).

on the stinky thing that's a good bike for starting out, stinkys can take a pretty good beating although some of the components are not the best (i have a 2003 stinky)
    i assume you are talking canadian dollars. i'll look around for you to try and find some other bikes that you may be interested in...

good luck with the drop and finding a bike.

Les Ride!!!!
    Thanks again, thing is i dont think i have the skills do do this drop just yet but im practising. Plus about the bike if you do find one it will be a about a year before i could buy it because i have to get a job first. Non the less i love freeriding and im not going to give up just cause my bike cant handle it. My dad said if i did break it id get my ass kicked,, when he says thathe means it so.... anyways im going to get some pics if i can ill post them when i get em

Thanks matt
    Also matt where do u live?Is it near canada?

Rj

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks again, thing is i dont think i have the skills do do this drop just yet but im practising. Plus about the bike if you do find one it will be a about a year before i could buy it because i have to get a job first. Non the less i love freeriding and im not going to give up just cause my bike cant handle it. My dad said if i did break it id get my ass kicked,, when he says thathe means it so.... anyways im going to get some pics if i can ill post them when i get em

Thanks matt
    Also matt where do u live?Is it near canada?

Rj
    no unfortunately i don't live in or near canada (i'm trying to get my parents to move there)
    i live in california.

have fun, and don't break your bike.

Les Ride!!!!
    no unfortunately i don't live in or near canada (i'm trying to get my parents to move there)
    i live in california.

have fun, and don't break your bike.
    opps... lol i broke my shocks,,, sigh!!!!!
    i was riding around and hitting so drop and **** like just little ones like 2 feet 3 feet thats it. i dont know if there busted bu the thingy to ajust the pressure doesnt do much but the shock feels alot loser than it has been i dont know if it supposed too be this good but i like the way if feels, cause b4 it was stiff and i didnt like the way i feelt, matt i just need to know in this case will it wreck my shcock if my spring is out of place ? cause thats wat i think happened to it anyways thanks man Pce,,,

Rj

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    opps... lol i broke my shocks,,, sigh!!!!!
    i was riding around and hitting so drop and **** like just little ones like 2 feet 3 feet thats it. i dont know if there busted bu the thingy to ajust the pressure doesnt do much but the shock feels alot loser than it has been i dont know if it supposed too be this good but i like the way if feels, cause b4 it was stiff and i didnt like the way i feelt, matt i just need to know in this case will it wreck my shcock if my spring is out of place ? cause thats wat i think happened to it anyways thanks man Pce,,,

Rj
    i don't think it's messed up...

is it really bouncy?
    you may have blown it out.

maybe take it to your lbs or the place where you bought it, it should be under warranty. have them take a look at it. i can't really give you good instructions without seeing or feeling it.

Les Ride!!!!
    rgr that matt. im going to take some pic of the drop ill have to scan them and it might take a week or two so ill ahve the pics up soon and u guys can tell me if its a cool drop and if your would hit it

Rj
    If your gona live hardcore, your gona die hardcore!

Members who have read this thread: 0