lightweight ish 2.5-2.6 tire- Mtbr.com
    rider
    Feb 2008

New question here. lightweight ish 2.5-2.6 tire

I am building up my new bullit, and i have some tire questions.
    Here in norcal, we don't have chairlifts, so i need it to be light 1000 or bellow grams.

I want to use this tire for everything from DH races, to Whistler and Northstar trips, to local stuff in the bay area.

Some tires I was looking at were the
    WTB Werewolf- lightest, but i don't know if its any good for DH.
    Kenda nevengal- Used on all my bikes but can't help but think that there is something better.
    Wtb prowler- a little heaver but looks meaty
    and the Conti Diesel - seems cool, don't know much about it.

I was thinking of running a 2.4 in the back to save weight... do you guys think this would hold up for whistler? i'm about 125 with full gear and i do medium stuff, but looking to go big.

Durability and price aren't so much an issue because I work at a shop and get everything at wholesale. I am just worried about performance and weight.

any advise is aprecaiated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like my specialized chunders for bay riding, and I would definitely take them up to whistler (I ran 2.7's last summer, no probs, that place is smooth) and northstar, and I'm racing in them.

Even though they're 2.35's, they feel like 2.5's.

moaaar shimz
    Less than 1000 grams for downhill? Hard to find... maybe single plys which you must use thick tubes, so the light isn't so light..

Light XC tubes + 1250g Maxxis Highroller dual ply 2.5 (it is actually 1200g) is nice.

General Rabble-Rouser
    You're always taking a bit of a gamble running single ply sidewalls for DH. If you don't mind bringing a spare tire, the added weight savings sure spin nice

Maxxis Advantage are working well for my friends preston, and Highroller 2.5s come in single ply

There's the Intense FRO dh tires too.

Look at the time!
    Schwalbe Big Betty (they call it 2.4", but its actually wider and taller than most 2.5" tires)

It's relatively pinch-flat proof due to its high volume. A lot of people run it on DH/FR bikes. Comparable to Maxxis Advantage, and around 900g each.

Personally, I like the 2.5" minion single ply better (same weight, more grip, a little less pinch protection though), but Maxxis doesn't sell that one as an aftermarket tire in the US.

Consider running dual ply rear, single ply front as a compromise.

Edit: isn't there also a single ply version of the 2.35 or 2.5" Nevegal?
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I've had good luck so far with Kenda Kinetics 2.6 stick-E folding bead for general trail riding. I wouldn't trust them in North* conditions, for that you need a two-ply DH casing. The best part is Jenson blew them out for $9 each a few months ago! I wish I had stocked up.

Pivotal figure
    Lightweight and DH worthy is a pretty tall order. I'm running 2.35's in UST version just to get the thicker sidewall without too much weight (Highroller, Minion or Ignitor). Not running tubeless, just the tires.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

rider
    Feb 2008
    anybody use the Michelin Mountain Xtreme?

EastBaySteez
    The WTB line of tires are light and BIG.
    Check them out.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

N* Bomber Crew
    Single Ply, Northstar? LOLOCAUST.

Sure, you'll save weight by going single ply, but you'll also save weight by sweating your ass off changing so many damn tires. If you want to, you know, ride your bike at Northstar then you need 2 Ply. If you want to walk your bike down, blow money on tubes, and change tires every other run, then yeah, single ply!

For the record, Weirwolfs I never liked. Nevegals suck at Northstar too, they're way too slow.

Look into Maxxis.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

I heart the drops
    Best idea is set up two types of tires for different conditions. That bieng said I only have 5 rides on my prowler mx and they work great and at your weight you might get away with kevlar all the time.

1. light tires with a tubeless set up, works great for light fr and trails
    2. Heavy sidewalls tubeless also, works great for lift ticket days
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

rider
    Feb 2008
    Thanks everybody for the advise.

I am leaning towards the wtb dissent 2.5 race. at just over 1000 grams it fits the bill. does anyone else have any last minute recomedations?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I like the new intense ex/dc lite tires

I am running the 2.5 909 front and the edge 2.35 rear. The front is single ply but intense single ply is stout. My rear is dual but the single is available and close to the weights you are looking for. I ran the Advantage before and pretty much hate them. So thin and with such high volume you have to run stupid high pressures to keep the tire from rolling. Fine for trail riding as long as you aren't cornering too hard, lacking everywhere else. Do not like weirwolf's, have only ridden the light version. Very vague with the grip. Roll well but slide a lot and no noticeable threshhold between kinda sliding and totally loosing it. Not much experience with the others you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Specialized Chunder Control (1-ply) 2bliss 2.3 (actual size is slightly bigger than a 2.5 minion) = 910g. Sidewalls are inbetween a traditional single ply and a DH casing due to the 2bliss construction. sidewalls are noticeably thicker than single ply nevegals/kendas... sets up tubeless/getto/stans instantly... long term durability unknown at this point though... great all around DH/FR tread pattern, dual compound, don't really need anything bigger IMO, really light tubeless setup

If that doesn't hold up for you, UST Minions at 1200g setup tubeless are the lightest bomber setup IMO...

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Single Ply, Northstar? LOLOCAUST.
    I rode a 2.5 Timberwolf all summer at N*. (Front tire) Didnt get one flat.
    This year I will be going to a 2.7 Minion front and either a 2ply highroller, or mobster for the rear. maxxis kicks a$$ at N*.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    I rode a 2.5 Timberwolf all summer at N*. (Front tire) Didnt get one flat.
    This year I will be going to a 2.7 Minion front and either a 2ply highroller, or mobster for the rear. maxxis kicks a$$ at N*.
    Front tire is okay. Rear tire though? Weak sauce.

Plus WTB makes pretty decent tires. I'm talking Single Ply Nevegals here, those suck, I might as well ride the flippin tube.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    WTB Prowler MX 2.5 (as giantsaam mentioned). I believe they are @ 960 grams and get great reviews. They are designed for drier weather. For mud season I picked up Timberwolf 2.7 Race which are also under 1000 grams.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

Members who have read this thread: 2