Lightest Hubs for my 823 ?? help plz- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Lightest Hubs for my 823 ?? help plz

I'm racing DH, i want to know whats the lightest hubs for my 823 ...

is it :

Hadleys
    Chris King
    Dt swiss 440
    Hope pro II

Thanks ! i did use the search button btw ! :P

-Frank

-> SickLines.com <-
    If weight is your only concern, Hope's are the lightest of the ones you've selected.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    are they any good too ?or the bearing wear off fast .. is it a strong hub ?

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard4620383
    are they any good too ?or the bearing wear off fast .. is it a strong hub ?
    Yep they're quite good and are reliable. Only real downside i see is the low engagement that the rear hub has. Bearings are good, seals are solid. Troublefree maintenance in my experience.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ah i didnt look the how the engagement was .. mmm is the Hadley that much heavier than the Hope ??

mtbr member
    Hope Pro rear 295gr..... Hadley Rear 355gr. Only difference is engagment from what i have been told. I have been debating this for 2 weeks now talked to tons of people that have been riding both for a while all types of riding and it was pretty much preference. I went with the Hope Pro 2 today they are just as good a bit lighter and CHEAPER.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    alright .. im gonna with Hope Pro 2 hubs .. with a 888 ATA WC on my lapierre 230 DH .. i think im gonna be set :P

mtbr member

I like hope products but

there is no way their hubs match hadley or kk quality. My bike shop mechanic says hadleys are the best hubs out there for free ride dh aplications

mtbr member
    Hope products are just as good as Hadley's and CK's stuff. Once you get into the high end stuff, you will not be able to tell the difference between them when your riding. Hell, other than sound, when im riding I can't tell between my POS Shimano Deore and my friends CK.

And engagement is only important on online forums.

take it or leave it. it's my opinion.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Hope products are just as good as Hadley's and CK's stuff. Once you get into the high end stuff, you will not be able to tell the difference between them when your riding. Hell, other than sound, when im riding I can't tell between my POS Shimano Deore and my friends CK.

24pt engagement is very noticeable if you've used to higher engaging hubs. Slow speed moves and quick pedal kicks to get the front end up take considerably less effort.

If you're all about fun, engagement doesn't matter so much. You must be in that boat and higher end parts aren't needed for your riding.

mtbr member
    You got it. I'd rather be shredding the steeps on an okay rig than dragging my brakes on the beginner trails on a $6k rig any day

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard4620383
    alright .. im gonna with Hope Pro 2 hubs .. with a 888 ATA WC on my lapierre 230 DH .. i think im gonna be set :P

a good choice, but I would still get the Hadleys
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Once you get into the high end stuff, you will not be able to tell the difference between them when your riding. Hell, other than sound, when im riding I can't tell between my POS Shimano Deore and my friends CK.

100% agreed. The last thing i think about when riding another persons bike with better components... is the components. If the geo isnt right, you could throw all the nicest stuff on it and it still rides like a polished turd. Just get the best hubs you can afford and still have change on the side to go riding alot. as is always said, 95% rider, 5% bike.

to put some informative use to this post, check out the new Ringle Jumping flea hubs - 192gr front, 330gr rear. 47.34 clicks of engagement... ON BOTH. ok that last part was a lie, but their cheap and light, and should hold up just fine. unless you clean your bike with brake cleaner fluid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    a good choice, but I would still get the Hadleys
    What makes hthe Hadleys better?

Meh.
    Hadleys have nice engagement - very solid, lots of engagement points. They're easy to service. And they hold up.

When going from my near instant engagement to XTs, I notice a big difference. I hate that my foot just lurches forward until it clicks, especially when doing pedal kicks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile chernobyl
    100% agreed. The last thing i think about when riding another persons bike with better components... is the components. If the geo isnt right, you could throw all the nicest stuff on it and it still rides like a polished turd. Just get the best hubs you can afford and still have change on the side to go riding alot. as is always said, 95% rider, 5% bike.

to put some informative use to this post, check out the new Ringle Jumping flea hubs - 192gr front, 330gr rear. 47.34 clicks of engagement... ON BOTH. ok that last part was a lie, but their cheap and light, and should hold up just fine. unless you clean your bike with brake cleaner fluid.

THe fleas are pretty pricey for no? I have been looking for new set of hubs for a while and almost everyone i talked to said the flea hubs were pretty crappy. Do you have any experience with them?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i might get the hadleys then SMT ... your not the first one or the last one that told me the exact same thing ... to be honnest i prefer a Higher engagement hubs than a one who have less to be honnest ... and it only weight something like 50 gram more .. i think i might just put the Hadley in the back and the hope upfront .. asi need and want more engagement possible in my rear hub ..

Meh.
    Front hubs don't have engagement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo
    THe fleas are pretty pricey for no? I have been looking for new set of hubs for a while and almost everyone i talked to said the flea hubs were pretty crappy. Do you have any experience with them?
    The "Fleas" your talking about are the dirty fleas which predated the jumping fleas. The jumping fleas are relatively new, and therefore dont have a solid track record, but do have many reports of being pretty darn good. That and theyre light. I geuss they are a little expensive tho I forgot i got a deal with them but at regular store cost they are still a good deal compared to the hadleys or more expensive brands. The hopes are a solid price and deal tho, i've found them pretty cheap, if i didnt get a deal with ringle' products I'd most likely of spend the money on hopes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Front hubs don't have engagement.

i know Will lol ... the hope front hub is cheaper and lighter than the hadley .. so thats why i says i wanted to put the hope in front and prolly a hadley in the back :P

you prolly miss understand me in my sentence .. english is my 3rd language ... sorry

mtbr member
    Ahh so much money spent needlessly on these hubs....

Members who have read this thread: 0