light for night riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. light for night riding

What lights do you use for night riding? I am looking to buy the cheapest, brightest light for all uses(xc,fr,dh). I want to ride at night. Fast. Are LED lights an option? -thankx

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Banshee
    What lights do you use for night riding? I am looking to buy the cheapest, brightest light for all uses(xc,fr,dh). I want to ride at night. Fast. Are LED lights an option? -thankx
    I prefer light & motion, and friends use night riders with no problems.

Take a look at the reviews...
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I prefer light & motion, and friends use night riders with no problems.

Take a look at the reviews...
    Would that be HID models or LED?

wheeeee!!!
    I ride the trailtech hid from batteryspace.com. hid light+ li-ion battery+ charger for less than 250$. Other (cheaper) options include using aftermarket halogen fog lights wired to the appropriate nimh or nicad packs. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can make your own this way, but I highly recommend the trailtech if you're interested in a truly bright light for less money. The l&M and NR HIDs are just fine if money isn't a huge issue..

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Banshee

suspension whore

5c from a weekly night rider- 5 years and riding

buy one good light once
    if you get a cheap one chances are you will be upgrading soon- that is if you plan to use it on a regulat basis.
    i would recommend a 4hr charge hid night rider as a serious entry level very effective light for fast dh/ xc riding. If you ride everyweek its lots more cost effective than injuring your self. go handle bar mount, less dust problems and better contrast and shaddow deffinition for thos split second fast decisions.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

JetLite Phantom i13

these lights rock. get the 20W halogen they're under 300bills and get the helmet mount

Barlights suck on twisty technical trails, helmet light is pointed where your looking not where the bars are turned to. Downhill runs at night are a blast

http://www.jetlites.com/psb_ss_fg.html

mtbr member

New question here. What do you guys think about Petzl myo xp?

Is this LED light going to be bright enough for bike lighting? Any experience with this light?

Who pickin the banjo?
    Nope. Petzl is good for hiking and camping not riding.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are serious about going fast on technical trails, HID is your only option. LED and halogens systems just aren't bright enough. I have a NiteRider Storm with helmet mount. It's bright enough to do technical trails on my motorcycle at high speed, and works great for biking too. Get a battery with at least a 4 hour burn time, so that you can do long rides and don't have to charge the battery completely before every ride. Here's a good helmet-vs-bar-mount pros and cons:

http://www.jetlites.com/support.html

BS wtrmoc

Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    If you are serious about going fast on technical trails, HID is your only option. LED and halogens systems just aren't bright enough.

http://www.jetlites.com/support.html
    A 20watt Halogen is plenty bright enough! HIDs are not the only option. Personally i don't like the stark white light of the HIDs.... like riding thru the woods with an Acetylene Torch on your head.

agree the LED aint an option.

Silence! I kill you!
    I ride with 2 Niterider HIDs when I go out at night. I use one on the helmet running all the time (Unless its a full moon, then no lights) while I'm climbing, then I switch on the handlebar one as well for bombing decents. I have some friends who use the light & motion lights while on the mtb as well as their road rides. (am I allowed to say road ride in the downhill forum? )
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member

thankx

Quote Originally Posted by menachite
    Nope. Petzl is good for hiking and camping not riding.
    Thanks for letting me know. I haven't used anything except flashlights and my (HEAVY)12lb homebrew. Flashlights didn't work too well.
    Last edited by Psycho Banshee; 10-11-2005 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member

New question here. Does anyone know how bright 13w HID

How bright is a 13w HID compared to my homebrew which has 20w+50w halogen overvolted? Is there any way to compare? I don't want to spend alot of money on something that is not bright enough.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    A 20watt Halogen is plenty bright enough! HIDs are not the only option. Personally i don't like the stark white light of the HIDs.... like riding thru the woods with an Acetylene Torch on your head.

agree the LED aint an option.
    I agree. The hue of the HID is a purplish/bluish/white, while the halogen is a nice natural color.

I run a 3 year old light and motion halogen, and have no gripes with it.

When it's time to replace it'll prolly be another halogen.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=brado1]A 20watt Halogen is plenty bright enough! HIDs are not the only option.

Is that 20watt halogen overvolted? How bright is it compared to HID? I only used my 20watt halogen for dusk and at night I used it for climbs and nontechnical sections. It didn't seem to go far enough for fast technical trails. Maybe this was because I had it as a bar mount?

[QUOTE=Psycho Banshee]
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    A 20watt Halogen is plenty bright enough! HIDs are not the only option.

Is that 20watt halogen overvolted? How bright is it compared to HID? I only used my 20watt halogen for dusk and at night I used it for climbs and nontechnical sections. It didn't seem to go far enough for fast technical trails. Maybe this was because I had it as a bar mount?
    Not overvolted, just standard battery that came with the i13 phantom 20watt. I ride with a lot of riders all with different light systems as far as the halogens mine's brighter, 1 guy w/ a HID Blowtorch and another with a LM HID Cabasa... yeah mines not as bright, but like i said earlier, i prefer a warmer (yellow) light.. the shadows the HIDs create are too harsh for my taste, (personal choice). HIDs for some reason F' me up riding especially if i get a rider behind me w/ HID. Halogens no prob. Maybe i'm F'd up.

As mentioned above one disadvantage with the helmet light is dust. not as noticeable w/ a bar light. Also with a helmet light, your headlamp is the target for every bug in the woods.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Laugh if you want...

This is my homebrew. Should I try to ride with it? Will the 70+ watts of halogens get to hot and melt my helmet, then burn my head. I really want to ride tonight while I wait to decide on a HID or halogen, but I don't want to go to the hospital with my hair on fire. I am a little worried because the lamp bodies are to hot to touch when turned on. Advice, please as I will be leaving in a few hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Your setup looks like it should be fine as long as it isnt raining. Be careful of bumping it and messing up the wiring or something so you dont end up stuck in the dark.

I always used to electrical tape maglights to my helmet/bars/pack and that worked ok as long as you didnt need to go fast. Now I've got a trail tech hid I put togethor about a year ago. It works great, is really bright, and they are fairly cheap too. Also, with the lithium ion battery it weighs almost nothing. You can get just the light from trailtech.net and then figure out your own battery setup or you can get it with a battery all wired up here
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1398

Members who have read this thread: 0