Light FR rig- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Light FR rig

  1. #1
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766

    Light FR rig

    Ive posted a couple threads before about my next bike but its winter and i cant ride and ill have to do is think about what im gonna buy so heres another . Next season i want to buy a dualie,i can get a deal on most makes of bikes.I dont really do Dh just mostly FR and DJ.Im going to have a HT too but its more trail oriented.I would want to be able to take the FR rig out and ride it around all day, but still be able to do drops(nothing over 8 feet probly) and jumps.Im thinking maybe a bike with a SC fork?..Ya so there you have it..what bike would you guys recomend?

    Thanks alot
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

  2. #2
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Ive posted a couple threads before about my next bike but its winter and i cant ride and ill have to do is think about what im gonna buy so heres another . Next season i want to buy a dualie,i can get a deal on most makes of bikes.I dont really do Dh just mostly FR and DJ.Im going to have a HT too but its more trail oriented.I would want to be able to take the FR rig out and ride it around all day, but still be able to do drops(nothing over 8 feet probly) and jumps.Im thinking maybe a bike with a SC fork?..Ya so there you have it..what bike would you guys recomend?

    Thanks alot
    theres another thread like this thats active, go check that out

    id also hate to ask this but price range?

    everyone seems to be excited about the sx trail

    others to consider: vps 6, coiler........... ahhh do ur own search
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

  3. #3
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    Price range?Well about 2000 dollars canadian give or take
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Price range?Well about 2000 dollars canadian give or take
    Well that changes everything. Coiler is your best bet, it might be a little iffy on the 8 footers, but thats all in the rider's skill level. I was going to say Gemini 900, but thats way over the price range. Also look into Norcos and Stinkys. Only reason id take the Coiler over the Stinky is because the extra weight and DC fork doesnt help on the DJs. Ask Red Bull about that though, he DJs on a Stinky.

  5. #5
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    Only reason id take the Coiler over the Stinky is because the extra weight and DC fork doesnt help on the DJs. Ask Red Bull about that though, he DJs on a Stinky.
    hey hey hey, so do i, so i geuss ill just put in my 0.02

    djin with the DOT is lame cuz the fork has crappy dampening and preloadin will do little to help cuz of the bad rebound, therefore, i just bunnyhop, it works everytime and i seem to get as much air as my buddies on hard tails (too bad no pics)
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    144
    Gemini 900 can be found for 2000$ Tx included in canada. I found a '04 that I bought a few weeks ago

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    CanadianHooligan, I seem to recall that you are in mississauga, right? Where do you ride, or want to ride? Do you want to take regular trips out to Blue Mountain?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    106

    Try the Ram DH/FR

    Custom travel and geometry. Frame pictured has 11" travel and is 4 pounds lighter than the Giant team DH.

    Ram Cycles
    916-568-0952
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Team Sanchez
    Reputation: El Chingon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,368
    Cable routing on that bike is non existent. Talk about lack of attention to detail. Also, 3.67 to 1 compression ratio? I'd look elsewhere.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    106

    Need I remind you......

    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Cable routing on that bike is non existent. Talk about lack of attention to detail. Also, 3.67 to 1 compression ratio? I'd look elsewhere.
    Need I remind you, everything you mentioned is what the customer wanted. Have a nice day.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    680

  12. #12
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Cable routing on that bike is non existent. Talk about lack of attention to detail. Also, 3.67 to 1 compression ratio? I'd look elsewhere.
    Yeah that's def not anything I'd want to ride. Let's see a custom bike that bottoms off a 2" drop, no cable guides and steep as sh!t headangle. Sure doesn't sound like a dream ride to me. Whomever the guy was that asked for this beast to be built obviously only had one thing in mind, 11" in the rear. .

    But hey, who am I too judge, if he likes it that's all that matters.

  13. #13
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    Good try but i dont live in missisauga lol.Im in the oshawa area.

    How would the Devinci Johnson be?I would want to replace the DOT though..
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    The 'shwa, eh? Unless you're frequenting Blue Mountain or making the hike to Quebec for some shuttle runs, I think you'd be suffering more than benefitting with a really big bike. Seriously, far too hilly in these parts. If you like Devinci, why not look at the Guzzler or Magma, or something like the Kona Coiler, or a SX Trail would be the sweetest, probably. These bikes can take quite a bit of abuse, it's not like there are 20 foot drops all over the place around here. I've seen too many guys from Hamilton, K/W, Toronto areas get big travel bikes because that's what's cool, and it ends up weighing them down for the bulk of their ride. Remember, you said "light freeride".

    But if you must have a big bike, make sure that it's a good peddler. The Devinci's are supposed to be good, but WTF is that rear shock on the Johnson...Manitou Metel?

    Also, check out Dropmachine and Pinkbike, there are good deals to be had on used bikes around here, esp. bigger ones, as a lot of people bite off more than they can chew when it comes to riding, then they ditch near-mint rides. The classifieds are a little barren for Ontario about now though, being fricking freezing out (except yesterday, of course).

  15. #15
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    Thanks shibby.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

  16. #16
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Yeah that's def not anything I'd want to ride. Let's see a custom bike that bottoms off a 2" drop, no cable guides and steep as sh!t headangle. Sure doesn't sound like a dream ride to me. Whomever the guy was that asked for this beast to be built obviously only had one thing in mind, 11" in the rear. .

    But hey, who am I too judge, if he likes it that's all that matters.
    I'm guessing that its since he posted 'custom geometry/travel' that this is a specific order and doesn't necessarily mean all their bikes are like this.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  17. #17
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,025
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I'm guessing that its since he posted 'custom geometry/travel' that this is a specific order and doesn't necessarily mean all their bikes are like this.
    Yeah I got that. Did you miss the part in my post were I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Let's see a custom bike that bottoms off a 2" drop, no cable guides and steep as sh!t headangle.

  18. #18
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Yeah I got that. Did you miss the part in my post were I said...
    Yea I saw that, I just figured you were making a generalization that all their bikes were like that and figured I'd say that its an individual bike to save the company from the flames from others.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  19. #19
    livin' large
    Reputation: canadian-clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    What about the rocky mountain switch sl, I know a couple of guys who have them and love them for freeriding and trail riding (in ontario, hilton falls, blue mountain etc.)

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Forgot about the switches...yeah, there are a number of those around...nice and burly, a good choice if you think you will be hard on the bike. I'd throw in the Norco Six as a contender too....frame is beefy beefy and it's pretty versatile. the FSR is nice too

  21. #21
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    Yeah i like the Switch better than the coiler,it looks abit to non-beefy(if thats a word)
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

Similar Threads

  1. Wheelsets for light FR
    By snoozeball in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 06:37 AM
  2. Lights for night riding
    By Jeff_FLG in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 05:15 PM
  3. Just built a homemade light.
    By Gondo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 05:07 PM
  4. Help with picking compenents for a FR rig- go light or beefy?
    By mgelber in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 08:29 PM
  5. Phoenix light rail opinions?
    By Flyinturbo in forum Arizona
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2004, 07:58 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.