Light FR rig- Mtbr.com

Thread: Light FR rig

Youngbuck

Light FR rig

Ive posted a couple threads before about my next bike but its winter and i cant ride and ill have to do is think about what im gonna buy so heres another . Next season i want to buy a dualie,i can get a deal on most makes of bikes.I dont really do Dh just mostly FR and DJ.Im going to have a HT too but its more trail oriented.I would want to be able to take the FR rig out and ride it around all day, but still be able to do drops(nothing over 8 feet probly) and jumps.Im thinking maybe a bike with a SC fork?..Ya so there you have it..what bike would you guys recomend?

Thanks alot
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Ive posted a couple threads before about my next bike but its winter and i cant ride and ill have to do is think about what im gonna buy so heres another . Next season i want to buy a dualie,i can get a deal on most makes of bikes.I dont really do Dh just mostly FR and DJ.Im going to have a HT too but its more trail oriented.I would want to be able to take the FR rig out and ride it around all day, but still be able to do drops(nothing over 8 feet probly) and jumps.Im thinking maybe a bike with a SC fork?..Ya so there you have it..what bike would you guys recomend?

Thanks alot
    theres another thread like this thats active, go check that out

id also hate to ask this but price range?

everyone seems to be excited about the sx trail

others to consider: vps 6, coiler........... ahhh do ur own search
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

Youngbuck
    Price range?Well about 2000 dollars canadian give or take

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Price range?Well about 2000 dollars canadian give or take
    Well that changes everything. Coiler is your best bet, it might be a little iffy on the 8 footers, but thats all in the rider's skill level. I was going to say Gemini 900, but thats way over the price range. Also look into Norcos and Stinkys. Only reason id take the Coiler over the Stinky is because the extra weight and DC fork doesnt help on the DJs. Ask Red Bull about that though, he DJs on a Stinky.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    Only reason id take the Coiler over the Stinky is because the extra weight and DC fork doesnt help on the DJs. Ask Red Bull about that though, he DJs on a Stinky.
    hey hey hey, so do i, so i geuss ill just put in my 0.02

djin with the DOT is lame cuz the fork has crappy dampening and preloadin will do little to help cuz of the bad rebound, therefore, i just bunnyhop, it works everytime and i seem to get as much air as my buddies on hard tails (too bad no pics)
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Gemini 900 can be found for 2000$ Tx included in canada. I found a '04 that I bought a few weeks ago

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CanadianHooligan, I seem to recall that you are in mississauga, right? Where do you ride, or want to ride? Do you want to take regular trips out to Blue Mountain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Try the Ram DH/FR

Custom travel and geometry. Frame pictured has 11" travel and is 4 pounds lighter than the Giant team DH.

Ram Cycles
    916-568-0952
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Sanchez
    Cable routing on that bike is non existent. Talk about lack of attention to detail. Also, 3.67 to 1 compression ratio? I'd look elsewhere.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Need I remind you......

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Cable routing on that bike is non existent. Talk about lack of attention to detail. Also, 3.67 to 1 compression ratio? I'd look elsewhere.
    Need I remind you, everything you mentioned is what the customer wanted. Have a nice day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Yeah that's def not anything I'd want to ride. Let's see a custom bike that bottoms off a 2" drop, no cable guides and steep as sh!t headangle. Sure doesn't sound like a dream ride to me. Whomever the guy was that asked for this beast to be built obviously only had one thing in mind, 11" in the rear. .

But hey, who am I too judge, if he likes it that's all that matters.

Youngbuck
    Good try but i dont live in missisauga lol.Im in the oshawa area.

How would the Devinci Johnson be?I would want to replace the DOT though..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 'shwa, eh? Unless you're frequenting Blue Mountain or making the hike to Quebec for some shuttle runs, I think you'd be suffering more than benefitting with a really big bike. Seriously, far too hilly in these parts. If you like Devinci, why not look at the Guzzler or Magma, or something like the Kona Coiler, or a SX Trail would be the sweetest, probably. These bikes can take quite a bit of abuse, it's not like there are 20 foot drops all over the place around here. I've seen too many guys from Hamilton, K/W, Toronto areas get big travel bikes because that's what's cool, and it ends up weighing them down for the bulk of their ride. Remember, you said "light freeride".

But if you must have a big bike, make sure that it's a good peddler. The Devinci's are supposed to be good, but WTF is that rear shock on the Johnson...Manitou Metel?

Also, check out Dropmachine and Pinkbike, there are good deals to be had on used bikes around here, esp. bigger ones, as a lot of people bite off more than they can chew when it comes to riding, then they ditch near-mint rides. The classifieds are a little barren for Ontario about now though, being fricking freezing out (except yesterday, of course).

Youngbuck
    Thanks shibby.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Yeah that's def not anything I'd want to ride. Let's see a custom bike that bottoms off a 2" drop, no cable guides and steep as sh!t headangle. Sure doesn't sound like a dream ride to me. Whomever the guy was that asked for this beast to be built obviously only had one thing in mind, 11" in the rear. .

But hey, who am I too judge, if he likes it that's all that matters.
    I'm guessing that its since he posted 'custom geometry/travel' that this is a specific order and doesn't necessarily mean all their bikes are like this.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    I'm guessing that its since he posted 'custom geometry/travel' that this is a specific order and doesn't necessarily mean all their bikes are like this.
    Yeah I got that. Did you miss the part in my post were I said...
    Let's see a custom bike that bottoms off a 2" drop, no cable guides and steep as sh!t headangle.

Cynical Bystander
    Yeah I got that. Did you miss the part in my post were I said...
    Yea I saw that, I just figured you were making a generalization that all their bikes were like that and figured I'd say that its an individual bike to save the company from the flames from others.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

livin' large
    What about the rocky mountain switch sl, I know a couple of guys who have them and love them for freeriding and trail riding (in ontario, hilton falls, blue mountain etc.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Forgot about the switches...yeah, there are a number of those around...nice and burly, a good choice if you think you will be hard on the bike. I'd throw in the Norco Six as a contender too....frame is beefy beefy and it's pretty versatile. the FSR is nice too

Youngbuck
    Yeah i like the Switch better than the coiler,it looks abit to non-beefy(if thats a word)