Lets talk forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lets talk forks

VIA
    banned

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Lets talk forks

Things are getting crazy with forks...
    Now we have SC forks with 170mm of travel with 34mm stanchions ...so my question is... still better a DC fork for DH...there is anything that still make DC forks better than SC or is the other way arround.
    What do you think ... with thos now 1 1.5 steer tuves and huge 32+ stanchions are SC getting over DC forks in the FR/DH world.

Now with flavor!!
    X-ups.

That's it. Maybe when I learn barspins or tailwhips, maybe I'll feel differently.........wait......barspins or tailwhips on a 40+ pound bike.....never mind.

X-ups.

That's all. Long travel SC forks are teh stoopid as long as they are in the same cost and weight range as a comparable DC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't know it seems like everyone who has them loves the performance over DC. Then again just see how many people actually hate things and post a review.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MX 887
    I don't know it seems like everyone who has them loves the performance over DC. Then again just see how many people actually hate things and post a review.

I got a chance to ride a 170mm 66 on a friends bullit and it felt well.......like my 888, just a little flexier fore and aft. I really liked it. It seems most of the SCs are working off of an existing DC platform that came out either previously or concurrently but I'm really curious how you could love the perfomance OVER that of a DC............other than x-ups and maybe fitting bikes together easier in the back of a van or something. Turning radius?

VIA
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I got a chance to ride a 170mm 66 on a friends bullit and it felt well.......like my 888, just a little flexier fore and aft. I really liked it. It seems most of the SCs are working off of an existing DC platform that came out either previously or concurrently but I'm really curious how you could love the perfomance OVER that of a DC............other than x-ups and maybe fitting bikes together easier in the back of a van or something. Turning radius?

SC pros
    turning radius
    lighter
    less stress for the frame
    cheaper?
    DC pros
    more travel?
    stiffer?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VIA
    SC pros
    turning radius
    lighter
    less stress for the frame
    cheaper?
    DC pros
    more travel?
    stiffer?
    Are they really lighter? I'm not up on all the fork weights but I was under the impression that a 170mm 66 or sherman breakout were pretty close to an 888 and slider respectively.

As far as turning raidius, I've never hit my stanchions on my frame turning on any frame or DC fork I've had.........5 forks on 5 frames with some crossover, nor my knees now that I think about it.....maybe other people do?

As far as less stress for the frame, that just means a flexier fork to me .....not good. I guess that could be a good one though for bikes without the surface contact welds of a 1.5 headtube.

Me personally........price and x-ups are it.

Disco-Superfly
    I prefer a dual crown... It's just me...
    Some people prefer a single crown... It's just them...

Having the option of a big SC fork is a good thing for people that like them.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I prefer a dual crown... It's just me...
    Some people prefer a single crown... It's just them...

Having the option of a big SC fork is a good thing for people that like them.
    Yeah I started thinking about it.............wouldn't you just love the be the first guy who actually does do a tail whip on a DH bike? I would.

.........tailwhips......hmmmmmmm

Just roll it......

Well, I'm about to move from a Super T to a 66 RC....so I'll explain my motives.

I actually wasn't sold on the whole long-travel single crown thing either. Then, last labor day weekend, I hooked up with an established rider who was riding a 66 on his RMX. I rode about 3 hours with the dude (he was a single and so was I) and I was BARELY able to keep up. But, as a result, I got a lot of time to ask talk to him about the 66 and various other topics.

Yes, he said he was riding it primarily so he could do X-ups that day and was tweaking his airs a bunch / throwing his bike all over the place, but he was saying that he was riding the 66 a ton except for really hairy stuff (e.g. redbull rampage) or for super big hucks. Seeing him ride that day pretty much sold me on the single-crown's capablities. He told me a few of his buddies (Robbie Bourdon, Randy Spangler, etc.) were riding the 66 for pretty much the entire summer and hadn't even switched back to their 888's once. Sure enough, I picked up the latest NWD film this fall and Bourdon is doing huge ladder gaps with the 66.....

I have a Stinky with a Super T and haven't had issues with the turning radius - even on tight switchbacks. At times, I may have to track stand, but whatever. I'm gonna sell my Super T and pick up a 66 in the next couple of weeks and intend to put it on a VP-Free. It will be about a 1 lb. lighter than my Super T, but I'm mainly looking to be able to have more freedom in the air with my bike. FWIW, I plan to run either a King, Race Face or FSA steel headset just to reinforce the headtube a bit more.....

EB

Former Noob Herder
    minor nit-pick, even with identical weights, the SC will have a lower CG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    I don't care bout 'nothing only DC for me unless i start dirt jumping
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days