Lets talk DH geometry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Lets talk DH geometry

We all know what geometry feels like, but explain to me what the engineers are thinking, because there are some big disperaties on some of the popular models. I'm focusing on two of the more critical measurements for ride characteristics.

MODEL ........................Head Angle........Bottom bracket height

V10.....................................67........ ..................14.8"
    Iron Horse Sunday................65.5....................... 13.9"
    Giant Glory..........................67................. ..........N/A
    Kona Stab Supreme.............63.7-64.9................13.5-14.1"
    Cannondale Judge................64..........................1 4.7
    Intense M1..........................66.5.................. ......14.125

My question is this, I know these measurements are unsagged, but are they compensating for final ride heights and angles when they are at the proper sag amount?? Hense some bikes ride a ton of sag like the V10. If so, how then do you know what the actual (assuming recommended amounts of sag) ride angles/heights are?

Premium Member
    You've really got to get on a bike an measure w/ proper sag to know what the characteristics are.

CS length is another important thing that changes as the suspension cycles. If it grows/shrinks and where it starts are two important things to know.

There are definately different philosophies there regarding geometry. The V10 takes into account lots of sag, where as the M3 (with almost the same travel) doesn't so much. The Sunday is super low, for cornering and stability. The Judge is a limo for uber-fast stuff. The Stab, again, is for fast, fast stuff. (Although your #s look a bit off).

The best way to determine what geo works for you is to try things, and consider the types of things you ride. For instance, I ride a mix of tech rocky yet fast terrain and wide open sketchy stuff, so I like a pretty low and slack bike but nothing too extreme as to where I'll get hung up in the tech stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0