Let's talk chainguides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Let's talk chainguides

I'll start by saying I'm pretty sick of e.thirteen. I'm on my second LG1+ Direct Mount Bashguard / Lower Arm this month and at $41 for this dumb piece of plastic, it's getting silly. On the positive side I've never dropped a chain, so I guess I would be happy if I was sponsored. I mostly ride super chunky So. AZ singletrack and it's hard on parts. I also use a clutch derailleur which may be adding to the stresses.

I just ordered a MRP S4 and wondered what you guys thought of this more traditional guide, or if you had any other suggestions.

M.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    im running my old one with no issues... what exactly keeps braking?

mtbr member
    You'll find the S4 much more survivable than the back plate mounted taco on the LG1+. Direct mount guards tend to snap if you ground out a lot, there's no movement in the system, normal bash guards rotate and slide much better so they deal with lot's of impact more reliably.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    im running my old one with no issues... what exactly keeps braking?
    This:
    DMB.LG1.36.B : LG1+ Direct Mount Bashguard / Lower Arm - 32-36T range * Black * 32-36T

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    You'll find the S4 much more survivable than the back plate mounted taco on the LG1+. Direct mount guards tend to snap if you ground out a lot, there's no movement in the system, normal bash guards rotate and slide much better so they deal with lot's of impact more reliably.
    Cool! Glad to hear!

mtbr member
    I don't think it's going to be the last time you need to buy replacement parts, but it might be better than the e*thirteen. Just make sure your chain lube is compatible with MRP's plastic. There is a list of approved brands floating around the internet somewhere. But even with an approved lube, it still isn't going to be bombproof. My lower pulley housing broke without ever being hit by anything at all. Not a mark/scratch on it, but the housing cracked in half after a few months. In my opinion, MRP's plastic is just plain brittle. Never owned an e*thirteen, but the plastic felt pretty similar in my LBS. I'm really hoping somebody will make a durable guide someday.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Slap happy crappiness
    If you keep breaking plastic guides maybe your next purchase should be this - Chainguides

Curious, is your bike undersprung?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    If you keep breaking plastic guides maybe your next purchase should be this - Chainguides

Curious, is your bike undersprung?
    I'll keep it in mind if my MRP blows up before its due date. Bike (V10c) is sprung correctly for my weight. It takes a HARD hit to blow through it.

M.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should have tried the SRS+ guide instead of the LG-1.... In my experience, the LG-1 is good for racing but not much else. The SRS+ guide can withstand waaay more abuse before anything needs to be replaced

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highrevkev View Post
    Maybe you should have tried the SRS+ guide instead of the LG-1.... In my experience, the LG-1 is good for racing but not much else. The SRS+ guide can withstand waaay more abuse before anything needs to be replaced
    Had one on another bike actually. Kept dropping chains (flexy back plate caused chain to slip out between the upper guide and bash ring). It did hold up much better to rock strikes.

M.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm on my 3rd MRP lower taco and chain guide for the summer. I have the G2 SL Micro and as already said, the plastic just seems brittle. I broke the first one so I did a full clean and swapped lubes to a for sure approved one and it broke again within a month. At $70 for all the parts, which you have to buy all separately, I considered changing to a more durable one. The LG1 was on my list but I guess I'll keep looking...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    :/ mine has chunks missing but hasn't broken yet