Let's see some pics of those crazy I-9's- Mtbr.com
    The Beaver

Let's see some pics of those crazy I-9's

Just wanted to see what crazy colors you guys were able to come up with..... AND how have they been treating you?
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Ive had my set of pewter (light purple) for over a year. Have no camera ATM so no pics, sorry.

Have had to true them once in that time. What else is there to say, light, strong, blingy. Both hub bearings are still smooooooth as silk. The rear makes a cool buzzing noise that alters others to your presence...

I've seen pictures of I9's with 4/5 spoke colors, wonder what they look like spinning?

peace,
    Marc
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

Pro Crastinator
    i've ridden a few sets. i'm not sure what all the hype is, they don't seem to perform any better that other wheelsets i currently own. the rear wheel buzzing sounds more like a car wheel without grease in the bearings. more of a screetching howl that rivals squeaky brakes in the annoyance department than a coolness factor (if you're into loud rickety sounding bikes) eveyone i've ever talked to about thier wheels has nothing more to say that what the I9 guys re-gurgitate into your ear when you ask them about them. but, if someone snookered me out of a grand for a wheelset, i'd be too embarrassed to say anything negative about them too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i've ridden a few sets. i'm not sure what all the hype is, they don't seem to perform any better that other wheelsets i currently own. the rear wheel buzzing sounds more like a car wheel without grease in the bearings. more of a screetching howl that rivals squeaky brakes in the annoyance department than a coolness factor (if you're into loud rickety sounding bikes) eveyone i've ever talked to about thier wheels has nothing more to say that what the I9 guys re-gurgitate into your ear when you ask them about them. but, if someone snookered me out of a grand for a wheelset, i'd be too embarrassed to say anything negative about them too...
    Agreed, the sound of the freehub on those things makes me want to shoot myself in the face. And this is coming from a guy who has a Hope Pro II hubset, which has to have the loudest freehub possible. They're blingy, and the engagement is nice, but I don't think they're worth the extra money, at least for me. If budget wasn't an issue, I'd consider them, but I can think of a lot of better things to spend money on.

banned
    It's cool to see them coming through with a conventional flanged hub for those not ready to take the plunge into the proprietary spokes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    It's cool to see them coming through with a conventional flanged hub for those not ready to take the plunge into the proprietary spokes.
    I am looking into that right now, been talking to Chad at Red Barn about it.

I am just wondering what the difference is stiffness would be b/w the proprietary straight pull hubs on an Enduro set, as opposed to say the standard flange hubs laced to 5.1 DT rims and double-butted DT dpokes (assuming the latter would provide the stiffest build while still maintaining a decent weight.)

I know everyone who has the straight pull versions love them, but there is something great about a custom handmade set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They are kinda cool, but totally not worth it.

[Flame-proof underwear on]
    IMO they are just the new hot bling item that anyone who logs onto this site with money burning a hole in their pocket wants. It seems that I9's are the first thing that the aforementioned "rich" people see and they just got to have. It reminds me alot of the whole 22" rims on Escalade's fad from a couple years ago. Don't get me wrong I don't mind expensive wheelsets(although I would never buy them myself) I just think that a good custom wheelset is so much cooler.

Now if you want class, lace your favorite rim to a set of Kings using Sapim CX-Rays with alloy nips.

[Flame-proof underwear off]

keystone addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    [Flame-proof underwear off]

jk. I've always thought they were pretty cool, but waaaay to expensive. I mean, it's inevitable that you're gonna blow up some wheels once in a while in dh, so do you really want to do it on a thousand dollar set? I saw a guy blow his gold I9's once, and all I could think about was how much i would hate myself forever if I did that.

and what's the point of spending that much on a front wheel anyway? when was the last time you got on a bike and went "whoa! This front wheel really blows my mind!"? Ya know?
    I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?

Premium Member
    How are Kings "classy" where as I9s are for "rich" people, when Kings are 600 bones a set?

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Damn seriously, I can think of a lot better hubs to pick up for under 600 smackeroos, especially some that are user serviceable!

I HUCK WITH CHUCK
    The I9s actually are really cool in some aspects. You can take apart the whole freehub body by hand once you loosen one bolt. They're very serviceable and easy to work on, plus any hub of the same width can be quickly and easily swapped between 20mm,qr, 12x10,12x135, etc...

Pricey, but they are innovative, and you get what you pay for. A set of kings built to nice rims is gonna run you nearly as much.

The engagement IS better than my hadleys was, but it's not like I was cruising around on my hadleys thinking about how terrible the engagement was.

Bottom line, I've got two sets and they rule. And for those that complained about the noise, my 2 year old hub is loud as hell and in need of a rebuild, but my brand new set is nearly silent, so it all depends on whether you're keeping them lubed and tightened or not.

Since most people seem to prefer a nice handbuilt standard wheelset....BUY MINE!!!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0