and the lesson for the day is:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

and the lesson for the day is:

just because somebody is legally obliged to stop at an all way stop doesn't mean they will.

also, just because somebody legally obliged to stop and check in after they hit somebody with their car doesn't mean they will. And you won't always be able to ride after them, so a cellphone camera is a great idea.

this message was brought to you by the guy who just got hit by that person.

I've been hit by a car 4 times now and every time it was from somebody running a stop sign or rolling through a right hand turn without slowing down. I guess i should have learned my lesson by now but maybe somebody else can learn from it.

ps: i'm ok, and after a half hour of trueing my wheels, so is my bike.

Master of None
    I've noticed lately that people rolling right hand stops has become extremely common here. It's all those people from socal moving up here

Turkey Vulture N Training
    that sucks bro
    Rolling Down Trails.... Slowly
    06 Iron Horse Yakuza
    06 Kona Stuff
    www.pedalshop.com

Bum Buzzer
    you forgot to pack yo nine! I pity de fool....

Thunder Chunky
    incase anybody missed it yesterdays lesson was make sure your shoes are tied...shoe falling off right before going off a drop = bad...glad to hear you are ok
    Purple Popcorn

Pivotal figure
    I quit commuting to work for the same reasons. It was almost running the gauntlet everytime I got on the bike. When I found myself memorizing everyone's license plate #, I realized it wasn't fun anymore. At least I never actually got nailed, just close calls and got egged twice. The second time I got egged I chased them through a neighborhood and got the license plate. Cops nailed them 30 mins. later and I got to see them whole thing.

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear...hopefully you caught em
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    didn't catch her, i'm actually riding injured as it is from northstar last weekend so she was able to drive away....it wouldn't have pissed me off so much except she was on her cellphone the whole time, and drove away laughing...since i don't have a camera and can't really sprint on my bike, i just kinda had to curse, and ride back to work and retrue my wheels

mtbr member
    sorry to hear man.
    I have almost ran over a lot of riders at the local university, as for some reason, they don't understand they have to follow the car laws and stop at stop signs and what not
    glad you are ok.

Shane

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i agree, most bikers are clueless here (i live in davis, where its 90% of people's first time ever riding a bike) - which is why i expect more people to pay attention, or there to be way more deaths, i'm still scratching my head as to why i'm the one who always gets hit when i ALWAYS follow regular traffic laws, and when in doubt give the cars right of way. This girl just drove through a stop sign and didn't slow down to make a left hand turn.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Did you actually stop yourself? I always make sure an intersection is 100% clear before entering.

dirt rules
    I've collided with cars a half a dozen times over the years. About 50% the time it was my own fault.

mtbr member
    It seems im tempting fate every time I ride downtown, I should stop riding to work but its better in every other way.

I've had so many narrow misses at stop-sign intersections lately, yet for some reason everything always seems slow motion and easy to avoid, if that makes sense?

I weave and dodge traffic though I shouldn't, but for as many close calls I've had, they've never really seemed accidental or surprises like in a car. I think you are automatically more aware on a bike compared with in a car, which gives you an edge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    Did you actually stop yourself? I always make sure an intersection is 100% clear before entering.
    yeah, after being hit 2 twice i took the rules of the road quite seriously, but apparently i needed more icing on the cake so i subsequently got hit two more times. so yes, very much a full stop, i can't say i put a foot down because my hip is bum and its easier for me to do a track stand than it is to put a foot down, but given that i came to a stop, moved backwords slightly, then moved out into the intersection before she was within 20 feet of the stop, i feel pretty justified in saying it was entirely her fault.

i donno, it weirds me out that the kids who don't stop for stop signs and are all over the place are the ones who get hit....maybe they're just more visable.

anyway i'm glad i didn't get more hurt so i guess it had an acceptable ending afterall

Members who have read this thread: 0