leg protection- Mtbr.com

Thread: leg protection

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

leg protection

I'm looking to get some leg protection after I took a spill last week and got a nasty bruise on my knee and some smaller ones on my leg after I hit some leaves. I'm trying to decide between a minimal knee pad like a 661 veggie wrap or a full leg protection like the roach/race face freeride leg armor. Any suggestions for me. I'm only doing small drops of 3-4 feet. thanks for your help

Kevin

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Rallius
    I'm looking to get some leg protection after I took a spill last week and got a nasty bruise on my knee and some smaller ones on my leg after I hit some leaves. I'm trying to decide between a minimal knee pad like a 661 veggie wrap or a full leg protection like the roach/race face freeride leg armor. Any suggestions for me. I'm only doing small drops of 3-4 feet. thanks for your help

Kevin

I guess what I'm asking is what do you use / recommend for my level of riding for leg protection?

mtbr member
    well. I recomend getting some kind of hard armor. I rock the roach rally DH but almost anything like it will work. Look at dianese, roach, troy lee, rockgrdn, fox. I wouldn't go for padding stuff because you will just want something else if you start progressing and a lot of stuff like the dianese are more comfortable in the first place.

Jul 2005
    I just recieved my 06 Rock Gardn Knee/shin guards. Their really nice as far as quality and I've worn them around the house and it seems like their going no where. Heres a link if ur interested in how they look. Landing Zone Knee shin

ride hard take risks
    Ditto on the hard armor, EVS, Fox get knee & shin guards. You will only get better & drop higher the more you practice.

Glad to Be Alive
    roach/Raceface DH pads...never slip off your knees
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Apr 2004

roach fr

or you could get the fr instead of the dh they have a little less with an open back for slightly less aggressive riding. i have them and love them don't move around you hardly notice your wearing them and they provide great protection.

yeah, uh............bikes
    I finally started using my Fox North Shore knee/shin guards over the summer on some small stuff. The felt pretty stable on my knees once I figured out how to do the velcro straps set up. They didn't move around much when pedaling or "hike a bike"ing either.

If you're prone to "pedal bites" I would definately suggest the the full wrap around style.

Sep 2005
    definitely the fox launches they dont move at all but theyre pretty stiff when u 1st get them

Faster the Better!
    Apr 2005
    second the FOX Launch Pads!!! I wear them on every ride! LOVE them!!!

Eric

J_B

Mar 2004
    Been wearing the crap outta my 661 DJ knee pads. They're great but then again, my friggin shins are getting thrashed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you arn't looking for all out DH protection look into the Dainese Knee Pro's - super comfortable , great fit, pedalling can be done all day. I have a set of Fox Launch's for DH but they rub my knee caps raw.

Faster the Better!
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    If you arn't looking for all out DH protection look into the Dainese Knee Pro's - super comfortable , great fit, pedalling can be done all day. I have a set of Fox Launch's for DH but they rub my knee caps raw.

There is a product called Body Glide that will Totally take care of this problem. Mine Rub my Knees also but Body Glide Totally took care of the problem

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've been looking at the full knee/shin guards. Is it me or does the knee part of the full armor fit a lot differently then just knee pads.. specifically above the knee.. I hope I explained myself clearly.

Do the pads break in much?

Probably going with the race face model.

Thanks for all the advie so far.

Check out Lee's answer to my question
    http://www.leelikesbikes.com/choosing-knee-guards.html

Kevin

ride hard take risks
    Lee said prety much the same thing every one else in suggesting. I saw your post on his sight last week.
    The knee/shin guards do fit different & yes they break in & get warm & cozzy. Best thing to do is go to your local shop & try them on just for the feel, then you can order whatever you want. Be aware they all fit different thats why everyone has a personal oppinion. Pads that X across the back of knee rub ya raw just like the elbows do.

mtbr member
    boys veggies are the only way to go. i had hard shin pads and when i did a drop my feet slipped off and the back of my legs got cut up like shat. you could pretty much match up all the pins on the pedal to an inch long cut on my calf. then i got veggies, cause they protect the back and the front.
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    boys veggies are the only way to go. i had hard shin pads and when i did a drop my feet slipped off and the back of my legs got cut up like shat. you could pretty much match up all the pins on the pedal to an inch long cut on my calf. then i got veggies, cause they protect the back and the front.
    I gotta second a look at the new Rockgardn's. Last year I said I had a feeling Rockgardn was gonna come out strong in 06 and it looks like they did some serious R & D for this years line. The new Flak Jacket and LZ's look sweet. Their gear is built rugged as hell but the 05 LZ's fit like crap. The new design looks way more flexible...I'd give 'em a look.

Or you could take the safe bet and order some Rally DH's.

Road/XC/Freeride
    I in your position a lil bit ago...

I ended up going for Race Face / Roach FR Knee / Shin Guards. Really nice from what I could tell... I got them in the wrong size so I've waiting to be sent some bigger ones... the I can really have a blast with them!

From what I could tell, definately worth looking into (whether the FR or DH ones) adn worth the extra cash!
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    hey everyone

Picked up the Raceface FR leg armor.

thanks

mechmann_mtb
    i just picked up a set of the new Specialized knee/shins today. they are super nice. due to softer materials (the kevlar is very flexible) they fit my legs better.

i can't give any feedback on the performance yet, but after trying roach and TLD and several others, these are by far the most comfortable i have found.

mechmann_mtb
    i rode with my new specialized leg protection today. almost 16miles with 2800 feet of climbing and some fast fun descents including The Luge. i rode the whole time with my pads on to test them out. they were pretty comfortable but i did get some chaffing on the top of my kneecap(i think that some nice soft material placed properly on the inside can fix this). no crashes so i can't report to their ability to fend off rocks but the few times i had manzanita trees scrape my legs there was no pain or blood associated with the incidents. i would suggest these pads to anyone that doesn't feel comfortable in hard plastic armor like roach pads.

Road/XC/Freeride
    My larger sized RaceFace leg guards arrived yesterday... first used earlier today...

Really nice fit, very light, comfortable and not hot (though it's hardly hot here in the UK this time of year!). I was wearing 3/4 length shorts earlier which were perhaps not quite baggy enough and got caught under the top of the knee guard a few times which was anoying but not really an issue if I'd been wearing bike shorts.

Overall I'm really happy with them and am confident that they'll save me from more than aa few injuries over the course of time!
    I'm on the Twitter.

Members who have read this thread: 0