Leg Injury's ftw- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Leg Injury's ftw

so guys, i blew out my leg pretty good yesterday, and i get to spend the next 6 weeks in a full leg cast which is a downer since i make my living as a Class 3 Semi rolloff driver. Just curious how many of you guys have had a similar injury and were u able to come back from it quicker ? i was talking to the ER doctor my tibia is cracked 3/4 the way through on my right leg, i also dislocated my knee and tore the ligaments on the inner knee....

The most annoying thing was this happened on the Easiest part of the hill! i didn't even crash from it! i was going full speed tearing through the turns when my bike slid out on a route, rear end slid out to the left, i put down my right leg to kick off and straighten me out, well that worked but when i did that i guess i planted it so hard i caused the injury i immediately felt my knee pop and my leg become useless, but didn't actually crash i rolled up to a tree infront of me and just used it to fall over onto my side, so pissed!.

i was the last in a train of about 6 guys going full tilt on our 6th run of the day so when i went down they were still shredding for the 3 minutes it took to complete the trail on a bike it took em about 20 to get back up, i spent that 20 min dragging me and my bike very slowly down the hill until they made it back up to help me out! at first i thought it was just the dislocated knee... but to find out i broke my leg and ligaments ontop of this for such an easy spot to go down.... looking back i still dont think i hit it that hard... just hit it just right i guess.

I have to go in for some follow ups in the next 1-2 weeks she said if the crack in my leg heals up quickly i might get lucky and atleast be able to roll a removable cast after 2-3 weeks so i can get a bit more mobility,, full cast up to the crotch sucks!!

anybody else bounce back quicker ? i shoulda got copies of my Xra i guess lol.

LDH
    mtbr member
    your number just came up. the bone will heal but the fact you hurt the joint is going to cause your recovery to be prolonged once you get out of the cast. i have tore up my lower legs 2x and each time i had to work through getting the joints going again after the bones have healed. The first time it was my knee and this time it is my ankle needing the rehab. good luck

yeah, uh............bikes
    yikes, that's one of the injuries that scares me. I've had a few "stinger" moments from planting a foot, and it is not cool. Ligaments will be your longest parts to heal and in my professional medical opinion I would not advise you to try and speed it up.

good luck

Glad to Be Alive
    take your time coming back....let it heal right then have partial healing and letting it reset wrong and then problems further down the road.......
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    be patient....you will get back to fitness eventually. My spiral tibia broken leg took seven months to heal enough before I could think about riding again. Eating calcium rich foods may help. Ligaments take time. If you are up and running in six weeks that would be a short recovery for this type of injury. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    don't rush it... be aggressive with therapy, but listen to your docs. They did go to school for like 12 years or something.

I'm still coming back from a broken tib/fib - 8 months out. I've been riding, but nowhere near the level of where I was. It's IS coming back though, just be patient and give it the time it needs.

and if you want to compare xRays... i bet mine's scarier than yours :P

Glad to Be Alive
    one other thing....vibrations from riding a bike...make tiny breaks where it is healing....then it takes longer to fully heal and 2 it makes a weak point in leg
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks for some of the info guys, i got even worse news though after i got off after posting this on sunday i think it was i got a phone call from the orthopedic surgeon from the hospital who asked me to come back immediately i ended up getting surgury saturday night after they did a CT scan my tib was broken in 2 spots, my ligaments on the inside of my knee were torn, and my ACL was dislodged they tell me 4 months before i can walk up stairs~

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    [QUOTE=AKRida]thanks for some of the info guys, i got even worse news though after i got off after posting this on sunday i think it was i got a phone call from the orthopedic surgeon from the hospital who asked me to come back immediately i ended up getting surgury saturday night after they did a CT scan and had a better look at my injury my tibia was broken in 2 spots, my ligaments on the inside of my knee were torn, and my ACL was dislodged though not tore it was the bone it was surrounding that got massacred so i got a plate some new bolts in my leg and now they tell me 4 months before i can walk up stairs.... so much for the quick recovery =/ ahh well always next season i guess.

mtbr member
    I've had both of my ACL's replaced due to MTB accidents; I now wear metal hinged braces to protect them. The braces don't get in the way; I forget about them now. I just don't want to reinjure my knees.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    for a fast healing fix, might be worth checking out EXOGEN ultrasound....the top footballers use it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by htpride
    I've had both of my ACL's replaced due to MTB accidents; I now wear metal hinged braces to protect them. The braces don't get in the way; I forget about them now. I just don't want to reinjure my knees.

Good luck.
    that's what i was thinking, isn't there mtb specific knee brace / armor setups ? i've always had sort of weak knee's i hyper extended my left knee a cple years ago, now i obliterated my right leg i wouldn't mind getting a good pair of em if they exist!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRida
    that's what i was thinking, isn't there mtb specific knee brace / armor setups ? i've always had sort of weak knee's i hyper extended my left knee a cple years ago, now i obliterated my right leg i wouldn't mind getting a good pair of em if they exist!
    My pair of braces I bought at a Physiotherapy/Orthotics (sp.?) place; they are neo-prene sleeve; small open circle at the knee; with hinges on both sides. I originally had a custom brace (Generation 2 brand) and it was a clunker and could not get the armour over it; it would get snagged on the seat in the steeps. I find the neo-prene ones I can where the soft leg armour over them. I've had some moments where I "felt" the brace work; where the knee tried to slip to the side but the hinges kept it in place. I tried some of the Raceface hard plastic shell ones...they were too tightly molded with little give. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mtbr member
    If you want to see the braces I'm currently using go to:

www.ortho-active.com

go into the "knee support" section; product number 32P "Hinged Knee Brace". The one shown is in white, but comes in black, grey.

Not trying to push this product; just letting you know what it looks like, etc. I think Ortho-Active is a Canadian company.

wretch
    Don Joy Defiance III With the Knee Shin Accessory, I'll find a pic. It rubs a little, its expensive as hell, it's like strapping a bike on to your knee. . . It also rubs on the frame, the knee hinge area. But I don't (can't) do anything w/o it. There is also the off the shelf Armor brace from DJ cheaper, beefier, just not custom.

The Armor w/ the Impact Guard

The Defiance (work's w/ guard)

Then there is Asterix. . . moto/ski inspired. . . lot's more protection, a heck of a lot bigger and I can assume heavier. If I could compare the two styles/companies DJ is about movement prevention and support of the specified ligaments, etc. Whereas the Asterix is all about protection of the knee as a whole.

I think there is a reason Don Joy is all over the place and prescribed post op quite often for athletes. The construction is also bomb proof.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    those look like good options, i like the looks of the above with the knee support and armor built into one rather than trying to find 3 types that are comftorable! i'll try to put some pics up of the gore in the next cple days when i get to my camera, for now i'm just chillin on my bed rockin UFC undisputed, watching movies, and a hell of alot of sleeping camera is all the way down the hall haha.

Members who have read this thread: 0