layback seatposts?- Mtbr.com
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

layback seatposts?

I could use about an inch more space when I sit down and pedal. Is there a slightly set back seatpost that would be suitable for DH?

TNC
    noMAD man

For strength...

Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    I could use about an inch more space when I sit down and pedal. Is there a slightly set back seatpost that would be suitable for DH?
    The Titec Hellbent is plenty tough enough. There are also others that give an inch of setback that are supposed to be pretty tough, but I haven't tried them. The Thomson layback is pretty good, but it only offers 16mm.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    thanks for the insight. I just looked at the stock post on my bike and it has about 1/2" setback already. No need to throw $70 at a problem to end up with only slightly better results. Plus, I learned that the Thomson requires 4" of post to stick out above the clamp...thanks Go-ride. That's too high for me.

I pushed my stock Specialized saddle back as far as possible and got about 3/8". Maybe there are other saddles out there that allow for further adjustment?

TNC
    noMAD man

The Titec Hellbent...

thanks for the insight. I just looked at the stock post on my bike and it has about 1/2" setback already. No need to throw $70 at a problem to end up with only slightly better results. Plus, I learned that the Thomson requires 4" of post to stick out above the clamp...thanks Go-ride. That's too high for me.

I pushed my stock Specialized saddle back as far as possible and got about 3/8". Maybe there are other saddles out there that allow for further adjustment?
    Actually provides 1.5" of setback, so maybe that would be even better. Here's a pic of one. The Azonic Love Seat on the post kinda skews the size of the setback because it's a huge saddle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certified Moots Whore...

Thomson requires 4 inches of post to be UNDER the clamp (inside the frame) NOT above the clamp...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Clever...
    Thomson requires 4 inches of post to be UNDER the clamp (inside the frame) NOT above the clamp...
    That's great news. Here's what I read on go-ride's site. **1" Offset post requires at least 4" of seatpost extending from seat collar.**

So, they mean into the seat tube, not above it? How much of the Thomson layback sticks out when you have it as low as it will go?

TNC
    noMAD man

Here's a Thomson.

That's great news. Here's what I read on go-ride's site. **1" Offset post requires at least 4" of seatpost extending from seat collar.**

So, they mean into the seat tube, not above it? How much of the Thomson layback sticks out when you have it as low as it will go?
    Here's the same bike built into an aggressive trail bike with a Thomsom setback. What Go-Ride means by that statement is that because of the bend in the post, you will have to have at least 4" of post protruding from the seat tube. I guess they warn the buyer of this in case the buyer is one who demands a complete "slam" or lowering of the post. The Thomson doesn't provide much setback, but it's ideal if you need just a little. If you already have a 1/2" of setback on your post, that's about 12mm and the Thomson provides 16mm, so you won't gain much. It's a nice post anyway. I don't know of a tougher post with as much setback of a Hellbent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    What Go-Ride means by that statement is that because of the bend in the post, you will have to have at least 4" of post protruding from the seat tube. I guess they warn the buyer of this in case the buyer is one who demands a complete "slam" or lowering of the post.
    yeah, that's exactly what I thought they were saying too. my only problem with the hellbent is that it looks like it would have to stick way up. I like my seatpost to protrude about 2", 3" max. The hellbent looks like a good 5" minimum right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Yeah.

yeah, that's exactly what I thought they were saying too. my only problem with the hellbent is that it looks like it would have to stick way up. I like my seatpost to protrude about 2", 3" max. The hellbent looks like a good 5" minimum right?
    (TNC posting under TexHeckler at the shop) That is an issue. It's not for me, but riders who slam their posts won't like this one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Check out...

Race Face Diabolus - strong, sexy, 3/4" setback that can be fully slammed down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    FSA's SL220 has got the setback you're looking for and it's all in the head, so you can drop the post to the nub.

FSA claims "Lightweight for road & ATB but freeride-strong" & I'd have to agree with that. I go ~220 and have had no issues with mine so far - but I guess I should add the discalimer, I've never had an issue with any reasonably chosen part either. (ie- no carbon fibre anything, etc)

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Descalzo
    FSA's SL220 has got the setback you're looking for and it's all in the head, so you can drop the post to the nub.

FSA claims "Lightweight for road & ATB but freeride-strong" & I'd have to agree with that. I go ~220 and have had no issues with mine so far - but I guess I should add the discalimer, I've never had an issue with any reasonably chosen part either. (ie- no carbon fibre anything, etc)
    I was definitely looking closely at this one. I've always had good luck with FSA. I couldn't find any reviews anywhere so this really helps. thanks.

Damn...just discovered that they don't make the SL220 in a 30.9 diameter. Maybe I can BFH a 31.6 in there...(just kidding)
    Last edited by RTM; 01-17-2006 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added content

Members who have read this thread: 0