Last minute second guessing Taka vs. Vexx- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Last minute second guessing Taka vs. Vexx

Looking to buy my first downhill rig and I am second guessing things here. I am torn between the Sette Vexx DH on pricepoint or an Airborne Taka. Pretty much looking to spend $2300 at most for a capable DH bike to ride at Platty and Whiteface. Help me figure this out!
    Been trying to look around ebay and this forum but these DH rigs are so damn expensive. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Vexx.
    It's a well put together bike.

T.W.O
    i wouldn't mind rockin' that sette at ALL. pricepoint is a good deal and if you somehow broke the frame you would be taken care of, they have a great track record for me
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

T.W.O
    double post....
    Last edited by pfox90; 07-12-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    why not look at a used bike? you can get alot for 2K and have 300 bux to buy a leatt!
    pinkbike buy/sell has alot

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Out of the two you mention I would pick the vexx. If it was my money I would find used stinky, session77, bottlerocket, bighit ect. You can find great deals here.... http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list...n=3&category=1
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just looked at the Vexx and they are offering a 15 day trial period..... If that matters at all to you.

CoolArrow
    Last year, I was eyeballing the Vexx too. Pretty keen set-up for the price. I've not ridden it so can't comment on that part.

I've been on the Taka for a couple months now (via the Airborne Flight Crew program). Though it's not spec'd as nicely as the Sette, it's a very capable ride - and for the price, you can upgrade things you might not be too keen on, or buy a couple season passes. worth checking out.

Either way, I'd rather spend my bank on a brand new ride, when spending that much...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Out of curiosity, what have you felt the need to upgrade so far?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It has juicy 3s on it lol of corse your gonna have to upgrade
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Obviously haha. I am switching my formula ones to it. I was just curious what a rider that gets his taka for free upgraded
    Last edited by bkboom123; 07-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Formula one should be sweet on the bike! Every bike gonna need something upgraded. If you really like the taka go ahead an get it. It's all about gettin out an riding anyway.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode a Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho for a few years, same exact frame as the Taka. It was my first real DH bike, and you definitely won't be disappointed if you go that route. Very capable bike, I replaced many things on it but that was just because i rode it for so long. If I was to recommend one over the other I would have to go with the Vexx, the link looks more thought out and the frame just looks tougher overall. Now that I said that though, bare in mind I NEVER had any problems with my Yakuza. Both should be great starter bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I read today that Huffy purchased Airborne USA. Huffy decided to no longer offer Airborne bike so the old Airborne USA owner, Jamie Raddin, decided to keep producing Airborne bikes and license the name from Huffy. Huffy then decided to not renew that agreement so Jamie started Flyte.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    One of the older members did some tweaks to his Vexx and churned out a pretty nice bike...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=vexx

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yeah the vexx looks like the mongoose pinnr frame
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkboom123 View Post
    Looking to buy my first downhill rig and I am second guessing things here. I am torn between the Sette Vexx DH on pricepoint or an Airborne Taka. Pretty much looking to spend $2300 at most for a capable DH bike to ride at Platty and Whiteface. Help me figure this out!
    Been trying to look around ebay and this forum but these DH rigs are so damn expensive. Thanks for the help

I know of a used Canfield Bros Jedi you can get a great deal on. The Jedi is one of the best dh rigs out there too. Dante Harmony's wife Jackie just had her Jedi stolen at Windham after her World Cup race run. To raise funds for a new bike for Jackie so she can continue on her WC tour her husband is selling his Jedi. I think Dante wants less than your budget is too?

PM me or call me at Whiteface if your interested (518-946-2223 X 375).

Not only you'd score a sweet dh bike you would be helping out Jackie Harmony on the WC tour!

Update: I just spoke with Dante regarding his bike. Frame, shock, Manitou Dorado fork, chainguide, and Chris King headset for 2 grand! All you need is a wheel set and some components. Figure another $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 and you have yourself one heckuva bike!
    Last edited by downhill mike; 07-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID View Post
    why not look at a used bike? you can get alot for 2K and have 300 bux to buy a leatt!
    pinkbike buy/sell has alot
    This.

2k gets you a lot of DH bike used, put my wifes intense ss together for around $1500, my canfield lucky for around $1400, I'd do that every time over a new budget frame!