Landing placement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Landing placement

Me and a few friends are building a new spot with some jumps and a drop as our old spot got torn down. Our first jump has a 35 foot gap. it is a small step down. The landing and jump are on a slope so I was able to hit it without a landing and figure out where our landing would go. Today we finished building the takeoff for the jump after the 35 footer. I am not sure where our landing is going to go. I dont want to hit it without a landing because it is flat. Besides eyeballing it are there any other ways to figure out where to put the landing. And landing to flat also isnt very accurate because we will have a decent sized landing and I will have to subtract more distance as the landing gets higher. After hitting the first jump the one we just built comes up on us very quickly since we're hauling ass for the first jump and landing on a slope.

Thanks for your help everyone. I will be doing a lot of building during winter break so expect pics.
    Last edited by MTB_prodigy; 12-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    build a table....or just build the landing closer and then keep extending it out further

35 feet is a BIG gap
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    build a table....or just build the landing closer and then keep extending it out further

35 feet is a BIG gap

By small I meant how many feet you descend when you do the step down. I really would like to get it right the first time because its going to have a big landing so moving it and packing it in again would be LOTS of work.

moaaar shimz
    Use physics to get a rough idea

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_prodigy
    By small I meant how many feet you descend when you do the step down. I really would like to get it right the first time because its going to have a big landing so moving it and packing it in again would be LOTS of work.
    depends on how fast you are going.....if you go fast then the landing is further out....slower the landing is closer....if you have to move a huge mound to get it right then that is what you will have to do....it sucks but that is the way
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

~Disc~Golf~
    ... that is what you will have to do....it sucks but that is the way
    ahhh...but not w/ a bobcat
    Honestly... ahh I give up

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    depends on how fast you are going.....if you go fast then the landing is further out....slower the landing is closer....if you have to move a huge mound to get it right then that is what you will have to do....it sucks but that is the way
    thats physics for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

mtbr member
    I just thought of something. I could have my friend hit the first jump and as he passes by me I will roll a ball right next to him . I could do that a few times and try to keep the ball rolling at the same speed as him. I would then roll the ball at the landing at the same speed I rolled it to make it keep up with my buddy.

Can I Borrow Some Style?
    I just thought of something. I could have my friend hit the first jump and as he passes by me I will roll a ball right next to him . I could do that a few times and try to keep the ball rolling at the same speed as him. I would then roll the ball at the landing at the same speed I rolled it to make it keep up with my buddy.
    Wayyyy to much work. Just build it huge, step up to it, and then you won't have to move it. Always build bigger than what you are comfortable with, it's what pushes you.

And don't be afraid to move some dirt around once or twice
    Passion is what we all need, the rest is secondary.
    Yeah I ride fixed on occasion, get over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmooreboards
    Wayyyy to much work. Just build it huge, step up to it, and then you won't have to move it. Always build bigger than what you are comfortable with, it's what pushes you.

And don't be afraid to move some dirt around once or twice

Im not afraid to move some dirt around. Im actually the one that wants everything perfect out of all my friends. I already moved the landing for the 35 footer and made it bigger. I am not lazy.
    Rolling a ball a few times is not much work. Moving a giant landing and packing it in again is a lot more work.

Its not only moving the landing, I want to avoid eating sh.it

moaaar shimz
    Get a bike computer, mount it and record the speed of the bike as it approaches the jump. Now just measure the angle of the lip and input everything in the formulas you learned in high school physics. It WILL give you a rough, but very good, idea of where to put the landing.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    If you're truly a MTB_prodigy like your screen name says, you should know the answer to your question already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is it just me or should dudes that can hit 35 foot gaps be able figure out by look and feel where a fair placement for a landing should be?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    build a table
    Have you ever built a 35 foot table? I mean seriously, have you ever moved that much dirt for one jump?
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-15-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Trying a little
    The one I'm most familiar with is:

v=d*(sqr(g/((2*Cos(a))*(d*SIN(a)-h*cos(a)))))

Where:
    v = speed at launch (fps)
    g = 32.2 (gravity constant - acceleration rate of ft/sec/sec)
    d = throw distance (ft) = x
    a = launch angle (degrees) = 45
    h = height of landing point relative to point of impact = -1

1. No, I didn't come up with that myself.
    2. Figure out your fps etc. and so on.
    3. Solve for X.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer

Where:

3. Solve for X.

mtbr member
    A lot of you guys probably think that the 35 foot gap is huge but it really isnt. The bottom of my wheels are only about 7 feet high at the highest point while in midair.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801
    Is it just me or should dudes that can hit 35 foot gaps be able figure out by look and feel where a fair placement for a landing should be?
    yeah, that was my point exactly. Especially if you call yourself a "prodigy"

mtbr member
    For me the run in usually dictates where the landing will go. It is usually not so fluid if you have to drag the brakes on a jump because judging speed is hard. I tend to build a corner or a hip before a jump to get the speed just right. That usually means that you have to hit a corner flat out to hit the jump. That way you know what kind of speed you have to have going into a couple features before the big move.

mtbr member
    I would just hit it to flat and figure out the landing from there, that's what shocks are for. With distance speed is your friend go fast it's smoother when flat landing. Good luck with that, and keep us posted.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    yes good idea, have someone take one for the team

mtbr member

Where:

3. Solve for X.
    Does this equation still work in "pinkbike feet", because I'm pretty sure that is the measurement he's using.
    Team _________

moaaar shimz
    For Pinkbike feet just multiply everything by 3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    For Pinkbike feet just multiply everything by 3.
    For pinkbike feet he's gonna want to divide by three. If not he is gonna come up way short!
    Waitin on the weekend

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnyg801

Yes

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by trail bait
    I would just hit it to flat and figure out the landing from there, that's what shocks are for. With distance speed is your friend go fast it's smoother when flat landing. Good luck with that, and keep us posted.

video tape it too

NOT Team Sanchez
    Wow dude 35' is big but definitely do-able, we've got an 18'x5' stepdown that I accidentally overshot for spine jarring 25'x8' flat landing on my first go, I didn't think I was going that fast at all (although I also added a little boost to the take-off), so yeah 35' with the right geo of the jump and proper speed should do it, although I will say the longer you go the more the thought of casing creeps in, hahaha that's why I overshot 'cause casing it would've sucked worse than a rough landing
    I like bikes.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKg
    For pinkbike feet he's gonna want to divide by three. If not he is gonna come up way short!
    That's the point

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    build the landing 2 feet past where you think it should go, leave the landing soft hit it so there is very little consequence, move landing out if needed then pack, remember when your lip and run in pack down your speed goes way up and a gap that was near impossible before you will over shot later.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Hit it flat, each time going faster. When the bike bottoms out and you hit your head on the bars that is where you put the landing. It's jumping not science. Or stand at the the take off and toss rocks underhand at the landing to gauge speed and loft. once you have the nerve remove rocks from the landing and hit it. Are not jumping a shark tank or ill tempered sea bass with freaking lasers on there heads? Can you jump to flat?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.rider
    build the landing 2 feet past where you think it should go, leave the landing soft hit it so there is very little consequence, move landing out if needed then pack, remember when your lip and run in pack down your speed goes way up and a gap that was near impossible before you will over shot later.

Very bad idea for the jump we're building. I did that before, landed perfectly, but because it was too soft the bike pretty much got jerked from underneath me, I nose wheelied for about 10 feet and proceeded to go OTB. Thats a bad idea because I have a LOT of speed going into this jump.

Ive decided to just hit it and land to flat.

mtbr member
    use physics like a couple said. It's way less work than building a huge table and guessing. All you really need is a speedometer so you know what your takeoff speed will be. I do it with everything i build. I have never cased a jump (knock on wood).

SamIAm
    rock paper sissors for the guinnie pig.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This sounds like where a bunch of kids build a double in the middle of nothing. Stand around and look at it all day until one goes back, pedals with all his might, just prays he doesn't case it, then they all go home.

oh Jolina!!!
    how about rolling a tire to the drop and see where it lands? would it work?

mtbr member

Where:

3. Solve for X.

I had an exam on that lol. You can split that up and draw a diagram to make it more user friendly. Ex. vf=vi+at and dh (horizontal distance)=vh/t. Your trying to find dh, so solve for t (time) in the first equation. Remember -vi=vf so you can use substitution. a in the first equation is the acc. due to gravity. Use tan, cos, and sin with the angle of the jump to find vh; and plug vh and t into dh=vh/t and get the distance from the take off to the landing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This is how we judge the distance on our hucks:
    We get shitty wally bike from someones basemnt add whatever weights we can find (dive belt weights, sand bags, pillow sheets with dirt stuffed in them) Then we attatche it to the down tube of the wall bike, we then go at the jump at the speed we want and ghost ride it off. The weaghted bag makes it more human like. We get a really good estimate of wher the landing should be. Try it no joke. (the vids are funny as hell!!!)

You said 2 days ago you would huck it to flat. Did You?
    Hucks to Fackie

SamIAm
    ghost ride the whip
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Alien Surf Team
    Wow. We know you take guys took Physics 1. Now let's move on.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorfish
    Wow. We know you take guys took Physics 1. Now let's move on.
    Wow, we know you skipped English 1. Now let's move on.

jk

mtbr member
    I can't believe this troll job thread is still going. I want to see pics of this jump or GTFO!
    Team _________

NOT Team Sanchez
    I'm with rollertoaster, show me pics!!!! Dude one of you needs to man up and launch it, frankly if you're already launching the other stepdown then you should know how to work it out........make it a modified table meaning make the first five feet of your landin fairly flat then angle it down after that so if you come up short or long you'll still be ok, if you're not worried abou the work and don't wanna get tossed too bad then this is the way.
    I like bikes.

Alien Surf Team
    Wow, we know you skipped English 1. Now let's move on.

jk
    Actually I put the sexy in dyslexia. Check my sig. But I don't mind... 40 years of people making fun of me has made me numb. hahaha. I own at Physics 1 though. Physics 2 pretty good. Physics 3 not so great but I passed.

Trying a little
    f--k that stupid f-k-n jump let's talk physics!!!

mtbr member
    Pics by monday, I hit it to flat today but not at full speed. We also changed the step down and made the take off bigger so that the jump doesnt shoot us out and so that its not so poppy. I also went up there wednesday and today and I packed all the jumps in after all the rain we've been getting.

Trying a little
    Will your pics look anything like this?

mtbr member
    Man that jump had a violent lip on it at speed. The video of Justin looked like Super Dave with his multiple somersaults, he may have rag dolled as far as he launched.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    well? lets see it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsman
    well? lets see it!

It's been raining. Im going up there tomorow.
    will take pics and going to start building the landing.
    I rode all day saturday and sunday so no work got done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hit it flat, each time going faster. When the bike bottoms out and you hit your head on the bars that is where you put the landing. It's jumping not science. Or stand at the the take off and toss rocks underhand at the landing to gauge speed and loft. once you have the nerve remove rocks from the landing and hit it. Are not jumping a shark tank or ill tempered sea bass with freaking lasers on there heads? Can you jump to flat?
    LOL!!!
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    or just build the landing closer and then keep extending it out further
    That's pretty much what I was thinking.

35 feet is a BIG gap
    yep. 35 feet is a decent gap for a Motocross jump, let alone an MTB.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    I don't have the footage Dusthuffer's camera. I was busy crashing too. Here's another one of the lab rats.

But this was the money shot from the weekend

Glad to Be Alive
    Pics by monday, I hit it to flat today but not at full speed. We also didn't do a thing its not so poppy. I also went up there wednesday and today and I didn't do a thing in after all the rain we've been getting.
    ummm....you should edit your post and never, I mean NEVER have in wrting anything you have done....all this could be used against you if you are ever caught

mtbr member
    editing pics and videos right now

mtbr member
    I added the video on youtube but it is being processed. I dont know how long it will take for the video to show.

mtbr member
    ummm....you should edit your post and never, I mean NEVER have in wrting anything you have done....all this could be used against you if you are ever caught
    Don't let this discourage you, keep building and keep posting. He's on some sort of saftey crusade now that he can't ride.

mtbr member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbEz6kUlSc

Lip to lip it is 33 feet.
    There is about 6 to 7 ft of safety landing that my buddies built just in case they case it. 2 of them havent hit it yet.
    From lip to where my back wheel lands it is 38 ft.

I measured it today. Im NOT using pinkbike feet.

I also started building the landing today.

In the video the jump looks kinda small but in the pictures it looks huge. I had trouble getting both the landing and the takeoff when i took pictures from the side.

1:13 really shows the size of the jump. My rear tire is aligned with the lip of the takeoff.
    Last edited by MTB_prodigy; 12-23-2008 at 07:23 PM.

moaaar shimz
    It looks like 38 feet, dont worry.

Tacubaya's Seal of Approval.

mtbr member

Thank you good sir

mtbr member
    Nice job, the jump below looks cool too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    you should have edited out the GO at the beg of each shot, lol

I gotta pee

I was guessin more 27 feet... And make your tranny bigger off the first jump. Thats a straight Evil Kenivel landing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamatt
    I was guessin more 27 feet... And make your tranny bigger off the first jump. Thats a straight Evil Kenivel landing

The landing does look small but its perfect. I dont come down hard or anything so its fine. Like I said, I measured it. not making **** up.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamatt
    Dude... it has my seal of approval... shut up.

mtbr member
    Dude... it has my seal of approval... shut up.

The nerve people have these days!

Trying a little
    let's see the barhump come on

StraightOuttaCompton
    nice jump
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    Don't let this discourage you, keep building and keep posting. He's on some sort of saftey crusade now that he can't ride.

how is that safety crusade....just trying to helpso he doesn't get busted by the man

Glad to Be Alive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbEz6kUlSc

Lip to lip it is 33 feet.
    There is about 6 to 7 ft of safety landing that my buddies built just in case they case it. 2 of them havent hit it yet.
    From lip to where my back wheel lands it is 38 ft.

I measured it today. Im NOT using pinkbike feet.

I also started building the landing today.

In the video the jump looks kinda small but in the pictures it looks huge. I had trouble getting both the landing and the takeoff when i took pictures from the side.

1:13 really shows the size of the jump. My rear tire is aligned with the lip of the takeoff.
    very nice

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks good but there's room for much more. Build across the fall line, put in some berms and you'd have a nice, swoopy, flowy, downhill, DJ run instead of just 2 big gaps. And if you lay it out right--you can dig down instead of having those big ugly pits just sitting there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Looks good but there's room for much more. Build across the fall line, put in some berms and you'd have a nice, swoopy, flowy, downhill, DJ run instead of just 2 big gaps. And if you lay it out right--you can dig down instead of having those big ugly pits just sitting there.

I'm pretty sure ill have a line like that after I build my next line which is going to be a 6 foot skinny drop to a few doubles.
    I had already thought of a similar line but it isnt very wide and there is a 25ft vertical drop into someones backyard if you miss the berm

Members who have read this thread: 0