kona stinky- Mtbr.com

Thread: kona stinky

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

kona stinky

i have been looking at buying a used 04 stinky frame...im just wondering if i want to use this for AM/XC riding as well will i regret getting it? does the frame suffer from pedal bob really bad? also the frame is a 16" so i think that means its a M, and im 5' 8", would this frame be to large for me? i know that kona has a wierd think with how they measure there frames

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    the stinky is more of a freeride bike but im sure with the right spec it would be a great do-it-all bike. 16in is a large for kona. I used to have a coiler, 19in for trail riding etc and it was a bit big (i was about 5'8"). 16in should be fine for you. my coiler had some pedal bob but am I correct in thinking the stinky has a boost valve? which shock is in it? if it has a boost valve they help loads reducing pedal bob

Glad to Be Alive
    my buddy is 5'8' and he loves the 16 inch .........bob can be reduced with a good shock (pro pedal)
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 11-01-2006 at 10:50 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    good to know, my thoughts are to make it a do-it-all bike because i cant afford to have a FR and AM bike. the frame has a fox vanilla shock on it, its a coil design. how much would yall pay for a frame? is $150-200 a good deal? the frame has no dents but does scratches/scuffs and wear in spots that down to the metal.

mtbr member
    The Stinky is a good FR bike, but on the heavy...and short cockpit side for an AM bike. I added some upgrades and use mine as a DH bike to learn on.
    H.D. Smith Montana bound, Aug 2007
    05 Giant DH Comp
    B40Huckers.com

clyde in training
    If you wanted a do it all bike, and you like the stinky, why not just go for a coiler? It pedals a lot better

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    well i can get the stinky for $150 which i think is a good deal and i dont know of any deals around me for a coiler

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a stinky set-up for freeride/do it all machine. Its a great bike and is awesome on drops/freeride type stuff. Like you I use mine for everything and do alot of xc on it as well. It does absorb alot of your pedal power and is a slow accelerator, but I run a 2.7 front and a 2.6 rear and it weighs about 45 pounds. If you set it up with lighter tires (Continental Diesel 2.5) and lighter wheels it can be a very fast and capable all mountain type bike. For the money you can't beat this frame and can set it up any way you like. For me the cockpit is a little cramped, I ride a 16.5 but am 6'2". A 16 would probably fit you nicely and for $200 you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a 2004 Stinky for around 2 years and it was my do it all bike. Even with Dh tires it was still a good climber. Takes a little time to get your strength up but once you're there you don't even realize you're riding a heavy bike and the downs are so much more fun than an XC machine.

Gotta ask yourself do you care about how fast you get to the top or are you just happy to get there and start the downhill. Need to also look at what your buddies ride like - if they're all riding lightweight XC bikes and getting to the top is a bit of a race you could get a little annoyed.

I ended up getting an XC bike and a dedicated DH bike but really wish that I'd kept the Stinky as my AM bike. I'm now looking to sell the XC bike and get a Demo7 for AM/Freeride.

The 16" in 2004 was the small - should fit you fine.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    bob can be reduced with a good shock
    Ill have to remember that.

mmmm, caffeine!
    It should fit you okay... I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    my buddy is 5'8' and he loves the 16 inch .........bob can be reduced with a good shock (pro pedal)
    this may be the wrong forum for your statement

Members who have read this thread: 0