Kona StabDelux vs. Trek Session 88 DH?- Mtbr.com
    inner peace to make peace

New question here. Kona StabDelux vs. Trek Session 88 DH?

For racing at Sport DH, "Masters/Veterin" Class, Is the '08 Trek Session 88 DH that much faster than a '09 Kona StabDelux bike? Trek's more than twice the cost of a Kona.

I have a 24# steel HT now (and also plan to buy a Remedy 9, the AM bike I pan to spend the most $$$ to trick it out, as my main ride...)
    Last edited by TrailNut; 10-05-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    twice the price because of the more expensive fork and shock probably. Fox vs Marz

along with other components...

mtbr member
    The Trek costs twice as much because they have to pay for R&D, while the Stab has remained unchanged for like 10 years.

New question here. But is it really faster?

Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    The Trek costs twice as much because they have to pay for R&D, while the Stab has remained unchanged for like 10 years.

for an early 40ish XC rider on a budget like myself who wants a DH specific bike as his 3rd MTB, to race DH events, would the Trek be noticeably faster (and safer)?

If there's a good enough reason, i can dig deeper for the 88 DH...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    is this your first DH bike and first time riding DH race?

if so...i dont think you'd notice.

any reason why your choosing between the 2? there are plenty of other similarly spec'd bikes out there for cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    for an early 40ish XC rider on a budget like myself who wants a DH specific bike as his 3rd MTB, to race DH events, would the Trek be noticeably faster (and safer)?

If there's a good enough reason, i can dig deeper for the 88 DH...
    At the end of the day it's the rider, not the bike. How many people with M3's, V10's and Sundays do you think Fabien beat when he won the World Championships on a Kona?

If you've got the money available and don't have anything else to spend it on, then obviously get the best you can, otherwise the Stab fits the bill. I wouldn't say that there is a good enough reason. Get the Stab and then upgrade the fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    At the end of the day it's the rider, not the bike. How many people with M3's, V10's and Sundays do you think Fabien beat when he won the World Championships on a Kona?
    though his bike doesnt have much to do with the stock stab anymore...

@topic 88 is sexy, but yeah - its the rider who makes a bike fast not anything else, but there are other bikes that u will be able to get on a budget that aren't konas

New question here. "good" DH bikes on a budget that aren't Konas?

Quote Originally Posted by daday
    though his bike doesnt have much to do with the stock stab anymore...

@topic 88 is sexy, but yeah - its the rider who makes a bike fast not anything else, but there are other bikes that u will be able to get on a budget that aren't konas
    oh yeah, like what?

I'm comfortable with Kona. Our son rides a Kona Kiakapu XC FS with Fox Vanilla fork...we both like it, a lot, esp. for what I paid for. Could pedal better, perhaps (all theory to me since I'm a steel hardtail fan since 1998), and could be set up lighter with component upgrades, but sure descends well as a fun trail bike.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! reviews on 88 DH

Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    is this your first DH bike and first time riding DH race?

if so...i dont think you'd notice.

any reason why your choosing between the 2? there are plenty of other similarly spec'd bikes out there for cheaper.
    Trek seems to represent the cool new technology while Kona represents the tried-and-true good value.

Yup, will be my 1st DH bike and 1st DH races...hope I don't suck into tree trunks too hard.

mtbr member
    oh yeah, like what?

I'm comfortable with Kona. Our son rides a Kona Kiakapu XC FS with Fox Vanilla fork...we both like it, a lot, esp. for what I paid for. Could pedal better, perhaps (all theory to me since I'm a steel hardtail fan since 1998), and could be set up lighter with component upgrades, but sure descends well as a fun trail bike.
    Well you could always get a Norco

Truth be told, I think you should look for a used one. There are some deals out there that you will not be able to believe. Look hard enough and you will find a far better bike than the Kona for far less money.

mtbr member

don't think its faster

For racing at Sport DH, "Masters/Veterin" Class, Is the '08 Trek Session 88 DH that much faster than a '09 Kona StabDelux bike? Trek's more than twice the cost of a Kona.

I have a 24# steel HT now (and also plan to buy a Remedy 9, the AM bike I pan to spend the most $$$ to trick it out, as my main ride...)
    I have to agree with the other post that said it mainly the rider that wins races! Now ..if its a race for looks...the Trek takes it hands down I rode a kona for two days on the backside(dirt fireroads and singletrack) of Haleakala mtn on Maui. It had a **** busted out(bearings) BB and the rear shock was ****...but I FELT fast on it and pretty comfertable. I have not riden the 88...but my son has the Session 7 with a lot of upgraded parts and has been bomb proof. I would try to demo both and then make your decision.

Members who have read this thread: 0