Kona -Rocky Mountain -Giant- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Kona -Rocky Mountain -Giant

I am looking for a freeride bike that is able to hold up to bigh hucks and some downhill without having a serious flaw in the bike but is also able to pedal easy like up hills (Thats not totaly necessary since it is a freeride bike, pedaling won't perfect ). I was looking at Kona's, Rocky Mountain's and Giant's. What bike out of those makes would be the best? (other brand suggestions appreciated)
    Thanks

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    how much are you looking to spend...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No price limit

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...mmmmmm....

...nice pic of your mom, BJ....

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Most freeride Horst 4 bars are pedal better

Not really any specifc help but I have found that my Horst 4 bars generally pedal better than any of my long travel single pivots, although this is my opinion and this subject always sparks debate.

Norco 6 is my vote. I have a Fluid, which is just a little smaller. the new Giants look nice but I haven't had a chance to test ride. A test rode a buddies Kona Stinky and it pedalled not too badly either, like my old 4 bar Rocky.

Hope that helps. BTW, you may want to help us out - how much travel are you looking for ?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    when the skys the limit...

all the top end bikes from the companys you mentioned (or most in general) would all do what you asking...the Rocky Mountain RMX and Kona Stinky Supreme (from the ones you mentioned) might do it better than the Giant DH Team/Comp as there more race orientated bikes...

but really most high end DH bikes can take a beating and as long as there set-up correctly then would all do what your asking...the reaosn i say that is some bikes are set to run alot of sag for racing and that sometimes makes them a little difficult to DJ and ride north shore etc...

look around and when you find something you like...then get back to us...good luck...

SXtreem now
    do you want to buy new or used? there is a 04' RMX Team for sale in the MTBR classifieds, it is a sweet bike, and hes got it priced right too. i love my Team, iv riddin alot of DH bikes and for my size and style of ridding it fits me just right. im 6.1 and 165lbs. i have no complaints on my RM. my 2cents......

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    im looking for a bike with lots of travel because i will be doing a lot of jumps, drops, etc. I was looking an the 2004 Kona Primo, because in reality, i don't actually have an unlimited amount of money to buy anything.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie226
    im looking for a bike with lots of travel because i will be doing a lot of jumps, drops, etc. I was looking an the 2004 Kona Primo, because in reality, i don't actually have an unlimited amount of money to buy anything.
    the 04' Kona Stinky Primo (7"s Front and Rear) is and was a great bike...

if you can pick one up for cheap then i doubt youd be able to get a better deal on a new bike as they came specd very well (complete Saint Gruppo) and would be a steal now the newer bikes have all come out...well they were great apart from the dual control XT levers...

other than that an RMX Team (8"s Front and Rear) like "RMXtreem" said would be one hell of a bike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    is the RMX the downhill addition of the rocky mountains compared to the switch which is the freeride bike. Or is the RMX a freeride bike as well where it won't soak up the jumps and stuff the way a downhill bike should.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    is the RMX the downhill addition of the rocky mountains compared to the switch which is the freeride bike. Or is the RMX a freeride bike as well where it won't soak up the jumps and stuff the way a downhill bike should.
    an RMX is a full on FR/DH bike...

sorry dude but i cant answer your question properly "Or is the RMX a freeride bike as well where it won't soak up the jumps and stuff the way a downhill bike should." as i dont understand that part...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I ment is it a bike that will soak up jumps and drops like a downhill bike.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    I ment is it a bike that will soak up jumps and drops like a downhill bike.
    well of course...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i want a bike that is able to do DJ, drops, hucks and not have a lot of sag so it is easier to pedal. If the RMX soaks up jumps and acts as a Downhill bike with lots of sag, i would'nt want it. OR is it able to do DJ and pedal easy due to limited sag?Can it be rided as a freeride bike, or just downhilll?

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    well of course...
    I would say the RMX is more of a "freeride" bike, it just doesnt have the deep, bottomless feel that most DH bikes have. In answer to the above question, both the RMX and Switch are freeride bikes, one just is lighter/less travel.

But that sounds like what you want, less sag/etc for DJs and whatnot. Go for it.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i want a bike that is able to do DJ, drops, hucks and not have a lot of sag so it is easier to pedal. If the RMX soaks up jumps and acts as a Downhill bike with lots of sag, i would'nt want it. OR is it able to do DJ and pedal easy due to limited sag?Can it be rided as a freeride bike, or just downhilll?
    any DH/FR bike can be set up to do what you want it to...

and like "the kadvang" said its a FR bike...so its primarily made to run less sag than a DH bike so its able to be pedaled on north shore and be thrown of cliffs but still at the same time be taken to a local DH race and ridden quite competativly...

i do exactly what you want to do on a DEMO9 with 9" of travel...and ensuring its set-up properly the bike is more than up to the task...

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    If price is no limit and you want decent climbing capability, I'd recommend taking a look at the Santa Cruz VP-Free...I believe they can be had in the low $4000's built up quite nicely. (Actually you could probably built one up in the low $3000's if you shopped around heavily for components and built it yourself...e.g. go get a leftover 04 Super T for $500, non-ano frame, etc).

Take this info with a grain of salt as I'm passing this knowledge along secondhand from VP-Free owners who are happy with 'em... I don't own one myself.
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Idea! Specialized!!!

while reading down the thread i couldn't believe nobody had mentioned a demo 9 or demo 8 yet!

i picked one up just over a week ago and have been doing chailift downhill runs on tracks with north shore sections, wall-rides, drops on the bigger side of big (3-5 metres), really technical rock sections, and a few bits where you can clock over 70 kilometres per hour (i think that's about 40-50 mp/hr) and it just soakes everything up! where i went was within ridding distance to a sweet jump park and all i had to do there was play with the rebound knobs for a whole 20 seconds and i was ripping up the trails - and embarresing some local DJers.

the RMX bikes are great too, but as far as i can tell nothing is as strong as the Demos.

the Demo 8 is more of a DH race bike, but again it offers all the knobs to let you use it for whatever the f*** you want to!

oh, and don't forget Banshee! or if you can find one, a Balfa BB7 - if you haven't heard of them that's a shame, they're f***ing good bikes! rocky mountain just bought balfa and shut them down . i don't know if they was as big where you are as they were in Australia.

make a shortlist of the bikes you are looking at, testride them and ask around about them (be warry of sponsored opinions or bike stores etc. they're rarely completeley honest) and make a proper decision. And don't rush it!

DOME Freeride Mafia

Rocky Mountain

Go with a Rocky Mountain; either the Switch (6" RW travel) or the RMX (8" RW travel).
    They're super burly.
    They're super well-built.
    They'll make you super happy you have one.

-P

VIA
    banned
    Get one of thos Giant Teem DH...
    I'm sure that you gonna be able to do all thos things that you have mention before.
    What you think about the Yeti DH-9 ... that will do it too.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygrounder
    If price is no limit and you want decent climbing capability, I'd recommend taking a look at the Santa Cruz VP-Free...I believe they can be had in the low $4000's built up quite nicely. (Actually you could probably built one up in the low $3000's if you shopped around heavily for components and built it yourself...e.g. go get a leftover 04 Super T for $500, non-ano frame, etc).

Take this info with a grain of salt as I'm passing this knowledge along secondhand from VP-Free owners who are happy with 'em... I don't own one myself.
    great choice here also a Bullit is a good choice too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Do the RMX's still have the problem of the rear linkage breaking or did they fix that
    "~PuNkTuRe HaTs~"
    ~Chase Williams
    ~Tyler Stripp
    ~Neil Streiff

Check This For Custom Hats http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1445112#post1445112

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ram Bike

Ram cycles of Sacramento, CA. Lighter than a Giant Team DH by 4 lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New question here. so what are you thinking?

so papa wheelie, what do u think you're going to go for?

all the bikes mentioned are totally bombproof and will handle anything you want to throw at it/them (except maybe the Giant).

i personaly would go 4 the Demo 9 because of travel, frame strength, and pedaling effeiciency. but that is a heavy bike. and it's expensive, but i have found that retailers are happy to do some bargaining, i paid $5400 for mine, and in Aus it retails for $6800. stores have a big mark up on Specialized.

but is is heavy, if it's too heavy either demo 8 or look at one of the other sweet bikes above mentioned.

tell us what you end up with!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I am really thinking of one of the Kona Stinky models or if I can find a good deal on a Demo 9 or RMX. I really don't know much of the other models that were mentioned so I feel a little unsure about buying one.