Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008

kona five-o and drop off

Is this a bad idea?

i read the kona isnt bad for freeride/DH

but will a 170/200mm fork kill it?

check your six

Five-O geo and picture

I have never seen the Five-O, but I like the way they look. The bike is a KONA, which are very durable and versitle. I do not think that it would be an issue with running the Drop off on it. It comes spec. with a 140mm Zoke 55. You might have to watch the head tube, but I think it will be just fine.

Here are the detail of the 2008 Five-O. I am sure someone will be able to give you a more specific answer with the geo numbers.

Geometry : Five-O
    Frame sizes 14 16 18 20 22
    Head angle 68 68 68 68 68
    Seat angle 72 72 72 72 72
    Top tube 21.9 22.8 24.1 25.2 26.1
    Chain stay 17 17 17 17 17
    Head tube 4.3 4.7 4.9 5.3 5.7
    BB height 12.2 12.2 12.2 12.2 12.2
    Standover 29.6 28.9 30 31.2 32.7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    I have ridden my Fisher X-Cal down hill and it worked pretty good, just dont hit too big of jumps or you will wreck as I did...

having a FS bike really helps absorb those big drops.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    im building a new hardtail downhill...but i cant readilly find a vagrant

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Don't do it to the Kona, it won't take it. Plus is would handle real weird. Find yourself an Imperial or Banshee Morphine, or a Soul Cycles Sluggo if you want to put a fork on that long. BTW for a long time a ran a travis 180mil on my HT and got tired of. Now I am running a Nixon 145, and with some other changes the bike an amazing trail ripper. I hit all the same gaps, jumps, steeps as before, but faster. Here are before and after shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    ill prolly wait for a vagrant to come up
    i dunno
    im impatient

and my ****ing stinky isnt here yet

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Get the five o the and ride it the way it is, it will be dope. Keep the Stinky for those "really crazy" days, or when you're feeling lazy. A HT, with good geo, and 140-160 of travel is a lot of fun Seriously you won't regret it, just make sure that you get it one to two sizes to small for you so can really chuck the son of a *****.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    all my days are crazy

i go to shuttle DH courses.....
    i rarely ride normal trails.

i like the way a hardtail is DH more than a FS, much more of a challenge. thats why i want a freeride/dh capable hardtail

my hardrock works fine, but i want more travel, and its gonna break soon im sure of it. so i sold it ot a coworker

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by balling
    ill prolly wait for a vagrant to come up
    i dunno
    im impatient

and my ****ing stinky isnt here yet
    Wait for the Vagrant, it's a killer frame at a great price and made to take the abuse.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    A good 140-160 mil fork is way better than an entry level dual crown fork. I have had drop-offs in the past, they are reliable and will take a hit, but they track terrible! One of the lousiest riding forks. The five o can do FR/DH/Park riding. I too would rather have a Vagrant, I am not a Kona fan, but the five o would be a good bike and a vagrant with a Pike or 36 would be even better.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    its not actually gonna be a drop off....its just the fork i haev laying around at the moment

im going ot get a pair of the midgrade boxxers for my kona and whatever hardtail i get

General Rabble-Rouser
    its not actually gonna be a drop off....its just the fork i haev laying around at the moment

im going ot get a pair of the midgrade boxxers for my kona and whatever hardtail i get

I wanted a dh hardtail, and ended up building a Scratch and a Domain 318

It's not the lightest option, but the dampening is a lot better than a drop off, and the Uturn lets me ride the bike at 115mm setting for normal riding.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008

read much?

General Rabble-Rouser
    read much?

Yes, I read, and I gave you a suggestion on how I run a long travel hardtail but have the option not to be stuck with screwy geometry all the time.

I wouldn't put a 7-8" travel dc fork on a 5-0 until I got a clear from Kona, and even still I'd have to reconsider...

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    how come kona touts it as a freeride.DH bike then?

i mean the page on the site shows i hucking off a 30 ft drop of sorts.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    you do NOT need 7-8 inches to do those drops. Does it help, yep. But it is not necessary you can FR on the Five-o the way it is. Personally I very much dislike Konas and would never buy one, however, they are correct to say the five o is a fr bike. The Vagrant is cleared for 200 mil dual crowns, but, the Transition crew will tell you it will handle funny and the bike is really designed for 140-160 singles. Call them, I did, a year ago to talk to them about this very subject. Bailling, there is a reason many companys offer these HTs built around 140-160mil, they ride great and can tackle all the same stuff with a good rider. If you like the five o great, get it, ride the crap out it as it sits, put a longer fork on it, and if you have any clue how to ride, you will soon regret the long travel decision on that bike, even if Kona says it can be done. If Kona wanted to put 180mils on them they would have set up the geo diff. I am done with my two cents, do what you want, you'll end up stimulating the economy regardless.

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    im not like stuck on a kona.....i was just lookin around and didnt see many articles/reviews on it

im not like a die hard any brand kinda guy, so it was just an inquiry

Taco Flavored Kisses
    how come kona touts it as a freeride.DH bike then?

i mean the page on the site shows i hucking off a 30 ft drop of sorts.
    Straight from the product page for the Five-O on Kona's website:

"New this year to the Kona Out of Bounds line-up is the Five-O hardtail trail bike. The Five-O features more landing gear up front, and a mail in coupon for 50cc's of Bovine Testosterone."

mtbr member
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1679419/

why would you need more travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0