Kona the best?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Whats the better bike for $1600

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Kona the best?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Kona the best?

Alright which is the best bike for $1600, A 2006 Kona Stinky or a 2006 Specialized Big Hit FSR 2? please help

My arm hurts a little
    Ok when I saw this thread title I LOL!!! And I ride Kona's!!!

I have never been on a bighit so I can't tell you. But $1,600. for a Stinky is not that bad.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Glad to Be Alive
    I am a fan of the FSR suspension

I rode both bikes (2002 Kona Stinky and 2002 Big Hit 24 inch rear wheel)

depends on what you want to do.........but hands down the Big Hit is day and night better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Stinky's have uncomfortably short cockpits. I haven't ridden a Bighit so I can't talk about the geometry of them. Componentry wise, the Bighit is better.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Bighit I'd say, but a lot of that depends on the component spec. I'd say the geometry is a little more dialed than the Stinky though.

mmmm, caffeine!
    I'm rather patial to Specialized, so I love the BigHit

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    I'd go for the bighit, but I'm a little biased, as I already have one

Solid bike, decent spec - pretty heavy though....
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you upgrade the fork, I'd go Stinky. With a chainguide, some 66, and maybe better tires... but if you wanna leave it stock, I'd go Bighit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Another BH vote here. I'm a little biased as well since my last 4 bikes have been FSR designs, but that is because they pedal so well. I've ridden a Stinky before, and I didn't like the way the faux 4 bar felt. I do think Kona offers a good product as well, but I prefer the way the BH rides.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "The Stinky's have uncomfortably short cockpits. I haven't ridden a Bighit so I can't talk about the geometry of them. Componentry wise, the Bighit is better."

I totally agree

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Faith ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i would go w/ a Stinky, but ya i am a Kona whore. if this was a old Big Hit frame back when they still had the 24'' rear wheel i would say that fo sho, but ever since they redid the frame, i have not liked it at all. ya the Big Hit has X.9 RD but i have never had a problem w/ my LX, and the Big Hit has Jucy 5's whick are great, but again my HFX Nines work just as good (i got lucky, i had to warrenty 2 pares but my 3rd works great) but mostly over all i just like the feel of the Stinky better, exspecialy on DHs. i say if u are gonna be doing DH/FR get the Stinky but if u strickly FR get the Big Hit. just my personaly opinion

mtbr member
    stinky for sure,spec wise spesh is better but kona make better frames and kona are cool spesh are not

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    i say if u are gonna be doing DH/FR get the Stinky but if u strickly FR get the Big Hit. just my personaly opinion
    The Stinky I rode didn't seem to do so well on the downhill. It was hard to drift and didn't feel to stable at high speeds. It also had a fair amount of brake jake but luckily for you the 2007s have floating brakes (actually, not too sure about the entry level one).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollapalooza
    The Stinky I rode didn't seem to do so well on the downhill. It was hard to drift and didn't feel to stable at high speeds. It also had a fair amount of brake jake but luckily for you the 2007s have floating brakes (actually, not too sure about the entry level one).
    ahh, guess i should have mentioned that i have an 05 Stinky whick had a slacker HA. And i beleive it also has a slightly longer wheel base and lower BB hight (i could be wrong on that part)then the 06 and 07 Stinky's. but i also put on a 05 66RC which is tall and racked out the HA even more. and yes the Stinky has break jack but i hardly notice because the only real time i ever use the breaks is at the end of a run when im stoping so i can go back up fo another run.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Bighit I'd say, but a lot of that depends on the component spec. I'd say the geometry is a little more dialed than the Stinky though.
    Are you kidding? Stinkys have terrible geo. They're really short and really tall.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Stinky for sure, ride it for a while, throw a 66 on the front end and a chainguide and you'd have yourself a sick ride

My arm hurts a little
    I was going to say post the pics ($hitspacebarjustbroke) Dam!

All the $hit people talk about Kona most have prob. never spent a week on one. And what ever you get it won't matter because you always adjust to whatever bike. But I do have to say that bighit is butt ugly. And I'm not a fan of the 06 Kona stuff. I like the 04 stuff alot better. My 04 colier with a 66 and roco will eat both those bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member

This one!

For $1725 shipped.

It's in the MTBR classifieds.

inner peace to make peace
    Kona rules
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL
    Faith ?
    i second this...

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    I was going to say post the pics ($hitspacebarjustbroke) Dam!

All the $hit people talk about Kona most have prob. never spent a week on one. And what ever you get it won't matter because you always adjust to whatever bike. But I do have to say that bighit is butt ugly. And I'm not a fan of the 06 Kona stuff. I like the 04 stuff alot better. My 04 colier with a 66 and roco will eat both those bikes.
    so its the look of the bike why we buy them?
    have you rode the bighit to compare to your coiler?
    how did it compare?
    these should be the factors, not just I like my kona, the bighit is ugly....
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Yummy
    I don't like Konas, I think the quality is shite and I think the Stinky suspension is nothing to write home about either. Just another single-pivot "faux bar".

Specialized would be better, but I find their business practices unethical. I won't buy from a company that uses lawyers to put legitimate competitors out of business. Period.

So my vote goes to 'none of the above'.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Riding with...
    check out the Giant Faith 3. Maestro is amazing and the geometry is better than both of those bikes combined, and you can flip the link to make it slacker and lower if you like to race alot. Plus, its Giant. Just check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    I don't like Konas, I think the quality is shite and I think the Stinky suspension is nothing to write home about either. Just another single-pivot "faux bar".

Specialized would be better, but I find their business practices unethical. I won't buy from a company that uses lawyers to put legitimate competitors out of business. Period.

So my vote goes to 'none of the above'.

Kn.
    first off what is wrong w/ single-pivot? nothing... not everyone needs a top of the line bike that most ppl will never use to its full potential. also, even though single pivots have some draw backs such as pedal bob (which w/ all these new shocks w/ really good pedaling platforms, its really not an problem.) and break jack (can easily be fixed w/ floating break) some ppl just like the plain simplicity of a single pivot. Plus just look at the success of the MoreWood Izuma, the Santa Cruz Heckler and Bullit, the Cannondale Gemini, Judge, and Prophet, all the Foes frames, and all of the Orange bikes suck as the Patriot . Secondly , how can u say that Kona’s
    Quality is ****? Seriously have u ever once ridden a Kona, they make some of the strongest, most durable, and reliable bike out there. Ok ya the 1st batch of 06 Stinky’s had weak swing arms but they got that all fixed and have not had any other problems. Other then that Kona’s have never really had any major or minor problems w/ their design or function or anything about them. Specialized on the other had has, the Enduro SX has had bad chain stays for acuple years now.
    But I do have to say I don’t like the feel of the 06 Stinky compared to the 05 Stinky. But the BigHit feels just as bad. The Big Hit has felt bad ever since they redid the design and changed the geo and switched out to a 26’’ rear wheel (which they needed to do) and y would u buy a bike from a company that tells you that a HardRock will hold up to DH and FR. Ya they told my friend that, and it snapped at the chain stay while just doing a bunny hop. WTF?

So ya just save up and get a Faith.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    first off what is wrong w/ single-pivot? nothing... not everyone needs a top of the line bike that most ppl will never use to its full potential. also, even though single pivots have some draw backs such as pedal bob (which w/ all these new shocks w/ really good pedaling platforms, its really not an problem.) and break jack (can easily be fixed w/ floating break) some ppl just like the plain simplicity of a single pivot. Plus just look at the success of the MoreWood Izuma, the Santa Cruz Heckler and Bullit, the Cannondale Gemini, Judge, and Prophet, all the Foes frames, and all of the Orange bikes suck as the Patriot . Secondly , how can u say that Kona’s
    Quality is ****? Seriously have u ever once ridden a Kona, they make some of the strongest, most durable, and reliable bike out there. Ok ya the 1st batch of 06 Stinky’s had weak swing arms but they got that all fixed and have not had any other problems. Other then that Kona’s have never really had any major or minor problems w/ their design or function or anything about them. Specialized on the other had has, the Enduro SX has had bad chain stays for acuple years now.
    But I do have to say I don’t like the feel of the 06 Stinky compared to the 05 Stinky. But the BigHit feels just as bad. The Big Hit has felt bad ever since they redid the design and changed the geo and switched out to a 26’’ rear wheel (which they needed to do) and y would u buy a bike from a company that tells you that a HardRock will hold up to DH and FR. Ya they told my friend that, and it snapped at the chain stay while just doing a bunny hop. WTF?

So ya just save up and get a Faith.
    Agree.

Kona bikes are very well made. The swingarms were not weak, the majority of people did not have issues with them. A few pictures on the internet, and it's an epidemic. They're very very solid frames. You'll still see plenty of people with o1 Stinky frames, and they're beating the living hell out of them. The frames are very stiff and strong (nice forged bb/shock mount area helps). It's true that the design has not changed much over the years, but it works, so why bother? The bike does behave like a single pivot as far as brake jack goes, but the linkage adds rigidity and helps with progressitivity.

If I remember correctly, Kona bikes are produced by Kinesis, who makes frames for just about everybody. This includes Santa Cruz, Turner, Mountain Cycle (Portland plant), among many many others.

I think the Horst Link is a poorly placed pivot, and though it helps to isolate some braking forces, it does allow for more flex. Though the flex is really barely perceivable.

A lot of the "benefits" are in your head. It's true that FSR helps to reduce brake jack, but I think that a large part of it is similar to the placebo effect.

Both are good bikes. I don't like Specialized's business practices (cutting costs wherever possible, sue happy, jacking up prices, etc.) I've worked for both Kona and Specialized dealers. I think the Kona CS guys are easier and better to deal with. They just seem like cooler guys all around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Agree.

Kona bikes are very well made. The swingarms were not weak, the majority of people did not have issues with them. A few pictures on the internet, and it's an epidemic. They're very very solid frames. You'll still see plenty of people with o1 Stinky frames, and they're beating the living hell out of them. The frames are very stiff and strong (nice forged bb/shock mount area helps). It's true that the design has not changed much over the years, but it works, so why bother? The bike does behave like a single pivot as far as brake jack goes, but the linkage adds rigidity and helps with progressitivity.

If I remember correctly, Kona bikes are produced by Kinesis, who makes frames for just about everybody. This includes Santa Cruz, Turner, Mountain Cycle (Portland plant), among many many others.

I think the Horst Link is a poorly placed pivot, and though it helps to isolate some braking forces, it does allow for more flex. Though the flex is really barely perceivable.

A lot of the "benefits" are in your head. It's true that FSR helps to reduce brake jack, but I think that a large part of it is similar to the placebo effect.

Both are good bikes. I don't like Specialized's business practices (cutting costs wherever possible, sue happy, jacking up prices, etc.) I've worked for both Kona and Specialized dealers. I think the Kona CS guys are easier and better to deal with. They just seem like cooler guys all around.
    I'm with XSL_Will, well said! I'd also like to add that "hometown" type CS is what makes me buy the bike. Just like the Transition dude's, they will continue to blow up because of their "we are riders too bro" mentality and their willingness to strive for CS. Specialized bikes are good, but you know they are on crack with the sh!t they've been pulling on other companies and this year's paint jobs...

mtbr member

hmm

idk i ride an 05 stinky but that bighit looks pretty sweet ....both?

Portland, OR
    I've spent a fair amount of time on bolth.

the stinky is actually a pretty more decient bike than most people give it credit for. the component spec I think is a tiny bit nicer on the stinky. BUT, I think the big hit is a better frame. I spent some time on a 06 BH 1 last weekend. really actually a nice bike. I wasnt a fan of the bighits untill I rode one. if you want a stinky, find a 05 or older one. I think the frame design was a lot better. a little more trail friendly. and a little more stable in the air.

But I would suggest either a Bighit, Giant Faith or maybe even a Ibex Zone ? Ibex have a pretty nice bike going for what you pay for it.

heres mine back at whistler, bought it for $999.99 spent $200.00 on the 66 ...project total = $1299.99 (and yea, in the second picture it looks way raked out, and it is ...but thats a 170mm 05 66 on there, so it'll do that to any bike)
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    I have been on a Stinky since 2004 and no issues...add some upgrades and the bike does very well. On the other hand, the Specialized bikes are very nice...demo 8 makes me drool.
    H.D. Smith Montana bound, Aug 2007
    05 Giant DH Comp
    B40Huckers.com

Members who have read this thread: 0