Knee and shins or just plain knees?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Knee and shins or just plain knees?

This will be my first year running pads and I'm down to the leg protection. I hope to get to the lifts at least a dozen times or so. I ride clipless and do mostly FR riding with some DH thrown in. Since I'm riding clipless do I really need the shin protection? I'm worried that the knee/shins guards will be to hot and uncomfortable and then I'll end up not wearing them. I come from a skateboarding backround so I'm used to using my knees and elbows when I crash.

Jersey Hucker
    I would go with knee pads or something like the Fox short launch pads. Some lower leg protection is good for when you fall.

Mar 2007

This might shape an opinion.

TAJ
    mtbr member
    what kind of cut is that?

It is not even bleeding.

Though it does have a deepish look to it.

Any stitches?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    I just got a pair of Fox Launch Knee/Shin pads. I've always needed knee guards because I hug the trail edges to the max and usually clip trees and such and bang my kneeds up. Then, I needed some shin guards after a few bad cases of pedal bite. They are fantastic, hard plastic and very comfortable lining with a no slip design. Also, you mentioned heat. They are fully vented and keep you cool. =P
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    word! im old and i like the more is better plan. go full length.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    you can take the chance with just knees, but the one time u get hit hard in the shins by a flying rock, a stump, a boulder or a pedal you'll be like, " i wish i had shin pads"

if your just doing lift accessed downhill shinpads aren't that annoying

'All over it!'

I know this feeling.....

Quote Originally Posted by the desmondo

This might shape an opinion.
    The one day I don't take my pads and I had a similar thing happen to this guy, although not quite as bad - it's knee and shin all the way bro!

mtbr member
    THE Storm knee/shin, or Fox Launch knee/shin. You can't go wrong with either of the 2. The Launch looks more bad ass, though...

mtbr member
    Check out the newer six six one race knee/shin gaurds. I have them on order all ready.

mtbr member
    I'm all about the Knee+Shin. As a BMXer I pedal bashed my shins enough that the nerve damage would make a Muay-Thai kick boxer jealous. No more bloody shins for me.

Freeriding Feline
    Oowww, I feel that guy's pain in the pic.
    Loved my 661 KS knee guards but slipped off the pedals one day and ended up with a similar gash on the shin.
    Went with the Fox Launch Shorty, really great guards. Protect that shin part that usually gets sliced.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    661 Kyle Strait OR ONeal Knee (they are almost identical)

paired with

Oneal Shins

They velcro together and that way you have either just knees or knee/shin. Because they are multiple pieces, they stay in place REALLY well. But I have skinny lower legs.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    knee+shin FTW!

Slap happy crappiness
    I've been using the Sixsixone MXE Knee/Shin pads paired with the Sixsixone Padlock Knee Wrap. Cost is a bit less than a standard knee/shin combo and it stays in place far better IMO. I still use my Kyle Strait Kneepads once and a while but I've nailed my knee on too many rocks taking me out for the weekend with those pads; the soft pad protection just isn't enough if you're unlucky enough to land on a pointed rock (which seems to happen to me far too much). The plastic of knee/shins is worth the extra pad, especially if you're riding lifts.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAJ
    what kind of cut is that?

It is not even bleeding.

Though it does have a deepish look to it.

Any stitches?
    IIRC that's from when Fabian Barel dislocated his knee...the real damage isn't the cut, but rather the knee damage sustained.

mtbr member
    The consensus seems to be knee+shin. I can see your points on protection but I'm still concerned that I would end up not wearing them because of fit/bulk/chafing/overheating. I've done a ton of research and from what I've come up with is the Roach/RF Rally's are solid but kind of bulky. Fox's are cooler but might not fit as well. What would be recommended for me given that I'm 5'5" w/a 29" inseam and pretty stocky legs.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    The consensus seems to be knee+shin. I can see your points on protection but I'm still concerned that I would end up not wearing them because of fit/bulk/chafing/overheating. I've done a ton of research and from what I've come up with is the Roach/RF Rally's are solid but kind of bulky. Fox's are cooler but might not fit as well. What would be recommended for me given that I'm 5'5" w/a 29" inseam and pretty stocky legs.
    Look at the 661 products I posted about above. A lot less bulky than Roach stuff, once on, you hardly notice them. They are only half shin, only two straps on the back of the leg, and the Padlock is slightly thicker than lycra. When compared to my knee only pads, there is almost no difference in comfort. Cheap, far better protection than knee only, minimal difference in comfort.... I've ridden most options out there, this is the best combo I've found to date.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR
    Look at the 661 products I posted about above. A lot less bulky than Roach stuff, once on, you hardly notice them. They are only half shin, only two straps on the back of the leg, and the Padlock is slightly thicker than lycra. When compared to my knee only pads, there is almost no difference in comfort. Cheap, far better protection than knee only, minimal difference in comfort.... I've ridden most options out there, this is the best combo I've found to date.
    Hmmm? 661's low end knee/shin pads w/the Padlock to deal with slippage. So this is cooler and more comfortable than the Roach's? How much less protection does it provide?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    As previously mentioned, I ride the Fox Launch Knee Shins. They are plenty cool and protective. What do you mean by not fitting you as well? I'm 5'10" and Ride the sz. LG/XL and they're a little big, but im 17 and still growing. For someone 5'5" I would def. recommend the Sm/M.
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

Roll on Spring Time!
    Kyle Strait knee and seperate shin pads. Super comfy so I can pedal a couple o hours and then run the shin only for times when I dont feel the kneed for knee pads, I dread pedal bite as I came of clipless 1 year ago. Really flexable and no slippage at all, now if I can find elbow forearms that dont slip I will be stoked.

%$#$*!
    Try the TLD combat knee/shin pads. I'm similiar height to you and they fit great. They breathe well and don't slip.

In my experience, all the knee/shin pads I've used take a small time to break in and for you to get used to. After that, it feels weird not to have them on when riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you don't mind dropping some extra coin (ok, maybe more than a little), the 661 Evo series of protection is really nice. Lighter weight, well ventilated, and great range of movement. They also make the knee and elbow in a smaller/lighter cross country version as well. These are really comfortable and don't catch on your clothing causing shorts or jerseys to ride up (if you run longer 3/4 length short/jerseys). The d3o technology used in these pads is worth checking out. Hit up the 661 website and it links to video clips of the d3o technology at work.

Although you are clipped in, freeride/downhill demands really warrant full leg protection. Not to mention, the weight and flexibility of the 661 Evo series is such that you can strap them to your pack and not even notice them when you feel like taking them off. Another thing to consider is riding with flats for those extra burly days, and switch to your clips when you are going to put on more miles. At any rate, SAVE THE SHINS, a slipped pedal can place you in the ER in no time.
    Ride because you love it and for no other reason.

Still a child inside...
    Since I'm riding clipless do I really need the shin protection?
    ???
    Anyway, +1 to full protection against falls/rocks/PEDAL/stinging plants.
    I'm using LizardSkins SoftCell.

Perpetual Hack
    661 EVO elbows.
    661 Kyle Strait knees.
    I just picked up a pair of 661 EVO shins.

Have not yet ridden with them in anger, but on initial impressions...
    They feel nice, but are a bit tight. I'm 6'2" tho... I'm hoping for a bit of stretch in the bindings, as the Large length is perfect so the XL would be good in dia, but a bit long.

The KS's are awesome, especially if you have to pedal, but they do leave your shins waiting for a bite. Hopefully I will be as happy with the EVO shins...

m

Glad to Be Alive
    depends on trail....easier trails knee pads...more difficult knee/shin

favorites are the roach/raceface DH pads with mesh on back
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

wait...what?
    knee/shin. just bought them today and was glad I had them today. the shin guard saved me lots of pain.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Knee+Shin, definitely. But I will buy a pair of Kyle Strait pads for everyday use, as my Azonic knee-shin pads can get uncomfortable sometimes.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Apr 2009
    I would definitely go with knee and shin. I have this massive medal forte pedals with screen grips on my bike now that I got rid of the egg beaters. I had a small crash and the pedal came around and hit my shin perfectly and I was done walking for a couple days.

I use fox launch knee/shin guards. They are pretty cheap compared to some pads, and when you get into the riding you won't remember how uncomfortable they might be. I am used to mine, I like them a lot!

btw, If I was going to buy another pair, I would get the Race Face Rally FR Knee/Shin Guards, they are extremely well made, and much more comfortable than anything I have ever tried on.

Feb 2009
    unless your at a bike park and/or hardcore you don't really need shins. Yeah, shin hurt like hell, but it's just the pain. The knee needs to be protected.. SixSixOne knee pads is what i have. light, durable, and supposedly harden up on impact

inner peace to make peace
    less is more: knee pads for simplicity

broken knee's harder to heal than shin. broken knee could be more of a life changing event.

physical pain, on shins, goes away (usually)

you can condition your shins by rolling a heavy wood pin or glass coke bottle up and down your shins...perhaps while watching TV. muai thai people may know what I'm referring to

fwiw: "I hurt, there for I am" a hapkido motto
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

Now with More Wood
    Separate knee and shin combo for sure.That way you can run knees only when you are hitting less nasty stuff, and add the skin protection for the gnar. I run the 661 Kyle Straits for the knee protection, they are really comfy yet do a good job when crashing. I use these (old school) shin guards....they are totally amazing if a little bit hot (but easy to take off and strap to the pack for climbs or whatever):

http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=2

They look weird in that picture, but there's actually 2 of them there. Is basically a neoprene sheet that wraps around your leg, with a hard plastic insert shaped like a V that sits really securely on your shin, yet never gets uncomfortable. I keep looking at more "modern" versions of this set-up, but I can't find a valid reason to ditch this product.

Members who have read this thread: 0