Knee or Knee/Shin pads?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

Knee or Knee/Shin pads?

Im looking at getting some 661 race knee/shin or 661 kyle strait knee pads. i like the idea of having shin protection but it seems like the kyle straits are really popular with everyone including the pros. Are the pros just saving weight or is there any reason to get one over the other?

SamIAm
    the kyle straits are more "pro" cuz they are less pad.

that being said, i own both actually and use them both all the time.

the race are super nice wrap around, fit me well. light, but they dont pedal the best. i use them for all gravity induced entertainment.

the straits are super nice to pedal in, and u can just slide them down to ur shins if u really want to on a epic climb or something. i have used them for DH too but i seem to be good at kicking up rocks into my shins so that sucks.

also, i never put my snowboard boots on without putting the straits on first.
    never knew how good of an idea it is to wear pads boarding. i fall soo many time more than biking.

but yeah, they are both sweet. so get both!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

N* Bomber Crew
    I'm stingy with pads, but I make sure I always wear shin pads when doing some serious Downhill action. It's not just the pedals, but bushes, rocks, tree stumps, whatever smack your shins too.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just got a pair of the Kyle Straights, havent rode with them a lot but get them if you feel confident about not slipping pedals. Raptordude has a good point about other things too. Get Both!
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

pdh
    mtbr member
    I've got a pair of Dainese for DH. Knee shin combo that wrap around. They're great
    to fight off branches, shrubs, etc for DH Lots of protection. I've got the 661 Kyle Straights
    for dirt jumping. They fit awesome & so easy to pedal with, but offer no protection from getting shinned from a fresh set of platforms. I also use them for skiing. They fit right above
    my boots, and keep my creaky knees warm
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

Pin it
    I have the race lites and they provide very good protection. They cant pedal very well (as said above) but can save your shins from platform pedals.

Jul 2007
    do you mean they limit your movement so it makes pedaling difficult?

Pin it
    They don't bend at the knee very well, but if you un-do the top strap they aren't too bad. They tend to twist sometimes when pedaling too. I'll wear mine for short sections of climbing and flat, but I take them off for long climbs.

mtbr member
    I have a simple rule:

Clipless: knee pads
    Flats: knee/shin pads

I think 50% of my cuts have been from slipping a pedal.

Now with More Wood
    I run the Straits for everything (they're great), and throw on a pair of wraparound shin protectors in addition for more serious DH/FR-type stuff (I use a neoprene model from LizardSkins with a hard plastic plate in the front - but also check out the new 661 shin wraps, they look like they should be nice as well). This combo works great (you can still pedal with all of it on) and has the advantage of being modular, so you can ditch the shinguards when feeling confident or just hitting the dirt jumps, and throw them back on when you need 'em.

Commit or eat sh!t
    My brother broke his shin doing DH/FR. Now he wears it everytime if the terrain calls for it (anything more than XC/AM). Better safe than sorry, spending months (and $$$) rehabbing, assuming that they can fix your leg if you crash hard.

Glad to Be Alive
    Dh where the ones with shin protection

pedaling up hill and light, easy trails then get the knees
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got both, and use both for different stuff. the knee/shin gets used for stuff where I'm not pedaling so much, such as lift-access stuff, or just doing a more hardcore shuttle where crashing probability increases (as I'm WAY more likely to gash a shin when I crash, as opposed to just riding along).

the straights get used for everything else. pedaling stuff, racing, DJing, and anything else where I don't need as much armor, or don't want to sweat through full armor.

I also have some 661 veggie wrap shins that I can velcro right onto the bottom of my kyle straights for extra protection without sacrificing pedalability. those are just hotter n hell to ride in though

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A very wise point you made Cable0guy - I've nearly had my leg broken doing an xc/am ride by a surpisingly big rock flung up into my shin - horrible bone bruise that took many months to not hurt - and the likelyhood just goes up the more challenging the trail and the higher the speed....

I like the kyles and have used them a lot for dirt jumping (more flexible and I find when I go down dj'ing, they are enough protection) - for freeride I like the Roach Rally FR - they stay put and seem to do the job
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

Pivotal figure
    I wear my Strait's all the time, even when climbing. I can't count how many times I've spun out in a tech section and smashed my knee into the stem/bar/shifter. I don't wear the full knee-shin pads much unless I'm racing at Bootleg Canyon. My shins have enough scar tissue to qualify as their own padding
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Slap happy crappiness
    Beyond the lack of shin protection, the Strait's lack good knee protection too. The soft pad and super thin shell make for great freedom of movement, but can't take a hard blow from a rock or hard pack without really hurting. I normaly rock the 661 moto guards and the 661 Pad Locs, unless I'm wearing pants, then the Strait's go on because they're less bulky. I still sometimes rock the Strait's in shorts though, I've only had 3 bad crashes when I wished I had on the hard shell moto guards.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Sorry if I'm the only one who feels this way, but it seems like the guy asking the question is comparing apples with oranges.
    If you want to save your shins from pedals, rocks, forest objects, small animals, etc, get knee-shin ones. If you want to be less restricted, more breathable, and look like the "pros," get the Straits.
    22Pride

mtbr member
    I use to have roach knee/shin pads. They restricted sprinting way too much so i switched to the straight pads and love them. Wearing 5.10's my feet pretty much never slip so im not worried about my shins.

EastBaySteez
    I tried on and used some Kyle Straits for awhile. Didnt dig um at all.
    In the end I went with TLD T Bones. More protection that Straits, but less than a full length pad.

I ride both flats and clipless. Use T bones for both.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    LOL I noticed how you said small animals... maybe where your shin guards just in case you get bit by a snake on the ride LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I agree with most comments here. Get both. On a smooth trail id go for the Knees because they offer freedom. But if the track gets rough then go for Shins. Shins have saved me alot when riding in terms of falling on rocks, and pedals smacking your shin etc.

SamIAm
    unless you want a compromise and you could get the 661 4x4s which are a full-length softpad basicaly
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    the kyle straits are more "pro" cuz they are less pad.

that being said, i own both actually and use them both all the time.

the race are super nice wrap around, fit me well. light, but they dont pedal the best. i use them for all gravity induced entertainment.

the straits are super nice to pedal in, and u can just slide them down to ur shins if u really want to on a epic climb or something. i have used them for DH too but i seem to be good at kicking up rocks into my shins so that sucks.

also, i never put my snowboard boots on without putting the straits on first.
    never knew how good of an idea it is to wear pads boarding. i fall soo many time more than biking.

but yeah, they are both sweet. so get both!
    Man I wish I had some knee pads on last week when I went boarding. Got a knarly tibial contusion from falling on my knee off a jump. Doctors visit alone was $170. That could have bought me several sets....
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

Urban Ninja
    After a trip to Whistler with only my Kyle Straits my shins paid the price. I just bought the Brian Lopes Signature TLD. Gives you apples and oranges er... Light knee pad for DJ and lighter freeride days and knee pad and hard shin and knee guard for full on DH. Bends at the knee real well. I highly recommend this:
    https://catalog.troyleedesigns.com/c...oducts_id=1417

dirt visionary
    I have the 06 661 race lite shine/knee and while they have done a great job and I love the coverage them bastards won't stay put ......My buddy has the fox launch and while the protection isn't as great they don't move.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    if you are doin XC stuff just go with the knee

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005

For absolute shin protection...

...these have got to be the best. The "V" shaped plastic distributes the force of a pedal strike to the shin to the sides of your legs. Personally tested by yours truly. Pair these with your favorite BMX/Skate knee pad and you're good to go.
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Dec 2008
    i like the knee
    but use shin on the big drops/jumps

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227
    unless you want a compromise and you could get the 661 4x4s which are a full-length softpad basicaly
    the 4x4 /4x2 get my vote too, the cool wick cloth actually works in summer (well our summer might not be as hot as others lol), they breath well, are a "semi soft" pad, ie they have foam with a nylon outer that's not fully ridgid.

They have taken some pretty decent impacts, I mean you feel it, but that was it.

I have a nice scar on my arm when I used a tree as a brake coming off a drop, the scar starts where the pad ended lol.

The leg pads have a big friction melt where my shin would have been destroyed by a bit of 2X4 that I crashed into...

They are comfortable enough that I wear them when ever I ride, esp the knee pads because I have a habit of smashing my knee into the fork crowns...

Members who have read this thread: 0