Keystone?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Keystone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Keystone?

Went to Whistler last year and would love to go again but thinking I could save a few bucks and a little time by going to Keystone instead. Is it worth considoring or should I just suck it up and go to Whistler? How are the runs? I skied there long ago and the runs were nice and long but there wasn't much to do or eat. Heard it's grown alot since mid 90's. Lay it on me, the facts and nothin but the facts.

i drink shower water
    keystone is a lot of jumps and free ride stuff. there are dh trails too. its fun i dont think you would hate it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Come on people, need info

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roxie
    Come on people, need info
    For crap sake give the people some time....

Glad to Be Alive
    whistler is mecca of the bike world ....keystone is way way cool but it isn't whistler
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Oh, So Interesting!
    Keystone is fun, they are building new trails, so it will only get better... There is a lot of CO backcountry riding in the are too if you bring a bike you can pedal up with, like Kenosha to Breck and Searle Pass on the CO trail. Vail, Winter Park, Silverton and Crested Butte offer DH Biking too, so there is a lot in CO to ride. Keystone has the most DH trails in the area, probably the best lift served area...

eci
    Keystone has 3 actual dh trails. none are the same caliber as whistler but definetly fun. This summer they are adding on more dh trails one like a line. it prolly wont be built until late summer but they are definetly expanding. The new trail they built last year is super fun with some doubles a few step downs 2 rocking hips a drainage gap and a thread the needle step up.

The race course is pretty mellow with a few nice features and a fun rock garden. The old race course is an old jeep road that is super super fast with a wall ride a nice 6 foot drop and some other cool features.

The super D course(mosquito coast) is one of the most fun courses around has lots of berms flows, whoops and a few mixed doubles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm going over to Co. this summer to visit family. I guess keystone is like 10 min. from where they live. Just wondering if there are a lot of a-hole mt. bikers there. I've heard that they can be kind of rude. And from reading some of the trail reviews on here I'm starting to believe that. I'm not trying to piss of any of you CO riders though, and I'm super stoked to ride somewhere new.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Keystone is a close second to whister - the way i understand it.
    My first summer time trip the W will be this august. However I will be a season pass holder to keystone this summer. As far as trails go they added a few at the end of last season i believe the dh trails number more like 6 now with atleast a few more opening mid summer. The dude building the trails really knows what he is duing. Videos of W show wide trails and at key there are more single track. There are about 2 dozen stunts on various trail.
    Where the problems lie is that the trails are skinny and if you are slow you might get ran over. Yes even on the pedal trails not at the resort.
    CO is incredibly steep with rocks.
    The mountain scene is good with many riders taking turns at keystone all sumer. It has the longest race course in the rockey mountain states cup race seriese. Keystone is very progressive in what they offer riders in this relatively new sport.
    VAIL if you can handle the vibes also offers DH and hase a few good trail that are steep as well. They will be less busy but more pricey.
    Keystone has a decent night life - i would prefer breckonridge for the familey style with more bars to walk into.
    One draw back is that you can mostlikely ride the entire mountain in a weekend, but the technicality of it all lies in how hard you push yourself and yes you can cross that line at keystone.
    There are no 50' tables but there are 20-30 tables and drops.
    You will enjoy it - and you can bet on sunshine.
    See you out here. you can PM me for info and conects if you want to suttle one day without lifts.

Bike Ninja |||
    Keystone is awesome. I ride there every week during the summer (so far 7 weeks of blizzard here in colorado has probably pushed the season back a bit) But so far they staff at keystone has told us that they are adding 5 more trails, one or two of which are going to be a-line knock offs, but there is riding to be had of all levels. Sick freeride stuff like TNT, crazy rock gardens on Cowboy-up, and mello runs on Mosquito Coast. The trails are kept in great shape, and are pretty recently made. Whistler is the best, but keystone is a good second place. Moab isn't bad either. Look into riding there as well if you are traveling here to ride keystone.

Oh, So Interesting!
    At Keystone? No, I don't get that at all. I'm not even close to the skill level some of the pros and guys who race dh are at, and I've never had an issue. I try to stay out of the way on the double black trails, pull off if someone catches up, etc... Away from the lifts, all the trail riders I've met have been great too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That would be cool to shuttle on day without lifts. Do you hit different trails? By the way, how much are lift tickets and rentals? How late do the lifts stay open?

Bike Ninja |||
    The lifts run all week, and they don't allow you to shuttle there, as it's private property. There is like 3-5 ways to get down the mountain, but they all end up in the river run portion of the mountain. Lift tickets are reasonable, I rock a season pass because we get them through our team. As far as rentals, I don't know, i know they rent all-mountain bikes, but not really sure if they have a downhill fleet like whistler. It's probably the best resort in colorado, i know vail is going to be pretty sick though this season. Bender has been workin' and digging at all the resorts here.

Where's the chair lift?

Good job! Keystone & Whistler good in their own ways.

I know a few of us will be hitting Keystoner this summer before we go to Whistler around the Crankworx time. Been hitting Whistler for about the last 7 years and times before the actual bike park was created and we had to have guides take us up. Have been to a Keystone a few times as well and made a few friends there too. We look forward to metting more new friends at Keystone this year. I like both places! Whistler is just going to be a bit more difficult for riders to get to now that everyone will have to shell out cash for a US passport. Whistler has the nite life and day life thats for sure! But Keystone is more mellow and way shorter lift lines. Lift passes are cheaper than Whistler too. Your US medical insurance will work since you are in the states vs. it wont work for you while you are in Canada and payment is due before you leave the ER at Whistler. I know! I was there a couple seasons ago. Lucky i had a credit card with enough room on it to pay. The ER staff rocked. The Doc was a DHer too. Anyway, my friends and I enjoy both resorts! I know we need to support our best local US DH resorts in order to show them that they need to expand to our kind of riding, and show them that if they build it riders will come! In turn they will make more money to aff more things! Just like Whistler! They built it and riders came, by the thousands locally and now from all over the world. It would be awesome to have Keystone take a spot as another Dh/ Freeride mecca destination. See some video footage shot from there in vids like NWD 8 and Collective. Some may not want Keystone as popular as Whistler but things have their pros and cons.Also people would need to quit the whole suing resorts when they crash and get hurt. Thats part of our problem in the US being scared to follow Whistlers lead. All the Canadian riders have health care from their gov. so they dont have to sue to pay their medical costs. Either way both places are cool in their own ways! Have a good 07 season ladies and gentlemen! Ride fast and Ride Safe!! Hmm.. How would that work??

Keep Keystone going forward! Ride there too! RIde both places if you can!!

http://keystone.snow.com/info/summer.biking.asp

Have a safe season!!
    IntenseRdr
    07 SOCOM

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromedToast
    For crap sake give the people some time....

LFMAO! I can connect with this guy though, sometimes it takes damn forever for people to write, especially when you are waiting

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ecgravity
    Just wondering if there are a lot of a-hole mt. bikers there. I've heard that they can be kind of rude. to .
    Just be courdeous ......basically if you pull off to the side and let the faster riders go by....not hanging them up or slowling them down.........if they are still a-holes....then forget them

it is only frustrating to faster riders when slow riders interupt their flow
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

what nice teeth you have
    I got to spend about a half a day riding Whistler a few summers ago during a road trip. Spent 9 days last summer at Keystone.

Whistler definitely has more terrain and more varied terrain. The big differences are more skinnies and boardwalks atwhistler and some trails that are really smooth and bermy that are fun to rip down. Keystone has more natural terrain. Think big boulders and rough single track w/ a few drops thrown in for fun. They are adding more trails. The trail they were working on at the end of last season was just one jump after another. I expect they will have even more this summer (one of the problems keystone has with new trails is getting permission from the forest service, they lease the property from govt). One big plus is they are open all week. Keystone is not whistler but it is the real deal. Definitly worth a visit.
    ND

Stand back
    Nobody mentioned it yet, but if it gives KS more street cred - Bender was working on the trail crew last year and helped design the new trails. My grade on the new trail opened last year is an A.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks, lots of good info. I can get to Co. a lot cheaper than I can get to BC and a lot faster also. Couple more questions, how are the rentals and how are the restaurants? Whistler had great rentals but they weren't cheap. May ship my bike anyway.

Bike Ninja |||
    Food is great. lots of good spots to eat, bistros, gourmet places, pizza places. grocery stores (strapped on cash food ) yea. it's good there.

Where's the chair lift?

Smile Rentals @ Keystone vs. Whistler

Hey Roxie, When we were at Keystone a burryd of ours only had an all-mountain bike and wanted to rent a DH rig. Selection was very limited and not too cheap either. Cheaper than Whistler though. I think there were only a few shops renting Dh bikes and they were in Breck. I cant remember what brand though. I know the bike he rented was not kept up very well. The tires were worn pretty bad, we had to adj the brakes, tighten the crank arms, the the fork srping was too soft. He did like 3 runs and then quit because the bike just wasnt set up right. So i would say take you own bike so you know what you have to ride and how the bike set up works for you. The Whistler rides are much better more abundant since they have a lot more people visiting the bike park and a lot more bike shops in the village than Keystone. So, I would say take your own bike if you really want to have a good time and not worry about what you will be able to find locally. As for places to eat in Keystone, if i remember it was a little bit limited in the resort itself. found a good pizza place there but couldnt remember the name. We were staying in Silverthorne just a few miles down from Keystone and we ate at the Dillon Dam Brewery! It had some good food and some pretty good house beers, brewed there in there. Fresh!! Plenty of places to eat in Dillon and Silverthorne. You would need to drive. Not like Whistler where you could hit the GLC, Wild Bills etc there at the base of lifts. All walking distance. But its been a couple years since we were at Keystone. So things may have changed since then. Any suggestions from the local riders on good places to hit for good food would be nice! Since we plan to visit for about 8 days end of June depending on the snow melting off. Hope this helps a bit and thanks to you local riders for anymore info!

IntenseRdr
    07 SOCOM

what nice teeth you have
    Rentals at the mountain are kind or limited. If I remember right they had either a 5 or 6 inch trek's (not sure which one). Good bikes but not very aggresive. I personally would want to ride something more aggresive. As for food there are a few spots in the village. Even more about 15 minutes down the road in Dillon Silverthorn. If you want the whole resort town feel head over to Brekenridge (20 min).

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    I like Keystone a lot, I've been riding there quite a bit the past 2 summers, and am psyched to ride there a bunch this summer.
    That said.....theres just no comparison to Whistler.
    Keystone is great for what it is, and it will definitely be getting better every year, Whistler wasn't built in a day either, but they are about 5 years ahead. You just can't beat the scale of A line and Dirt Merchant....soooo many medium to large perfect jumps.
    BUT, I've heard from many people who traveled up to Whistler last summer was that the upper mtn was all screwed up from construction of the Olympic DH courses. Thats most of the natural trail terrain. Plus theres a million people and bikes get stolen like music on the internet.
    Keystone is cheaper, the scene is way more mellow, and with the higher altitude you can get drunk cheaper too.

Where's the chair lift?

Smile Yeah, I can agree on that.

Pretty much what Flowtron said. I was at Whistler last season around for Crankworx and the upper mountain does have a lot going on with all the machinery moving huge pipe and escavating. Some trails were detoured due to the machinery and stuff pulling these big long pipes up the mountain to bury them in the mountain. Guess for water to make snow or something. But Whistler is quite a bit ahead of the pack. No doubt about that. Cant wait for a resort here in the US to get it going like them. Keystone looks like the ones moving along each year, then you can maybe add Tamarack, Idaho too. I think they had some people from Whistler giving them some insight. Think I read that somewhere. I agree Keystone is more mellow. Food is prob not as expensive either. I think another factor about visiting Keystone vs. Whistler is that the currency exchange is going down for the US dollar. It used to be we could go up to Whistler and have $1.00 US and $1.55CAD in return. About 3 years ago. Was a nice exchange rate to have fun! LOL This last season it was $1.00US = $1.08CAD. Anyway, Both places are cool to ride!!

Will be nice to see Keystone with a lot more life in the summer for us Dh / Fr riders. GLC KEYSTONE! LOL Wild Bills Keystone! Hang out at the base and see riders coming down the hill. Awwww.. The Thoughts!

Waiting for the trip to Keystone this summer!!

Ride on guys and girls!

IntenseRdr

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm going to be in keystone from april 24th to 27th for work. i assume there will be too much snow to mnt bike, but not enough to snowboard? but if someone could fill me in, i'd appreciate it. thx

what nice teeth you have

A basin

Quote Originally Posted by cardozo
    i'm going to be in keystone from april 24th to 27th for work. i assume there will be too much snow to mnt bike, but not enough to snowboard? but if someone could fill me in, i'd appreciate it. thx

Keystone may be closed for skiing/boarding by then. Check the A basin website though. They are right up the road. They try to stay open the latest each year. spring boarding at its best. hard as a rock in the morning/ nice an soft mid day/ swimming in a lake in the afternoon. All while wearing a t-shirt and riding in the best spring weather around. A basin very laid back. Grab a portable grill if you can and make burgers slopeside.

mtbr member
    Although not close to KS, Winter Park stays open late too. The way Rado has been getting dumped on this year, who knows? Many may have late season snow and the lift prices are cheaper for sure.
    "BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS, PAIN GOES AWAY"
    07 SX TRAIL III
    07 DEMO 8

something typed here
    Actually, most colorado resorts have below average snowfall. Im in steamboat and we only got 311 inches. Nothing compaired to last years 432 inches. As far as I know steamboat got the most snow of any colorado resort with keystone coming in at about 200 inches. That combined with the high temps (high 40's to low 60's) we've been having and this snow is going to be gone in no time.

mtbr member
    I spent a week in Aspen for the X-Games. As I recall as of late January, peeps were saying 10yr records for that time of year. Who knows?
    "BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS, PAIN GOES AWAY"
    07 SX TRAIL III
    07 DEMO 8

Stand back
    I couldn't find any ytd totals, but Steamboat doesn't keep up with either Silverton or Wolfcreek for current conditions...
    Snocountry currently lists the bases as:
    Steamboat 64-76"
    Wolf Creek 81-84"
    Silverton 84-130"

Heck, even WP is kicking Steamboat's butt right now with 66-84".
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    still just the begining of march.......
    I will wait another month and half until i will speculate keystone openings. But it does look good.

odo
    mtbr member
    What kinds of jumps are there in the Keystone Skills Park?

odo
    mtbr member

Keystone

What kinds of jumps are at the Skills Park.

Thunder Chunky
    just come out to colorado...let me know when you are coming and i will show you around. I always like meeting new people and it gives me an excuse to say screw work :P lol. Yeah anyways keystone is awesome...never been to whistler so i cant compare the two but yes it is the best in colorado/any place i have ever been. Probably wont open till May or June and snow season is close to ending now. So for those couple of monthes you cant really do anything. Im hopnig for and early open though as this year it has been especially warm here . Anyways if you have any questions just ask.
    Purple Popcorn

odo
    mtbr member
    Are there any north shore features at Keystone?

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by odo
    I am not 100% sure what you mean by north shore features but if you are talking about ladder bridges then yes there are some. Not giant things that go all thw way down the mountain but yes there are a few drops and acouple across a stream if i remember right.
    Purple Popcorn

Thunder Chunky
    heres one of my frineds helmet cams from Keystone
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lmet+cam&hl=en
    Purple Popcorn

odo
    mtbr member
    Do they have any skinnies and do they have any large gap jumps, tables, etc? Do they have any singletrack trails and what are the expert trails like?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Do they have any skinnies and do they have any large gap jumps, tables, etc? Do they have any singletrack trails and what are the expert trails like?
    Yes. They are good.

Now go search/find the Keystone website, and search mtbr, and you'll find plenty of pics to show you what stuff is like. A little searching goes a long way.

Your Profile lists Keystone as your favorite trail, yet you've apparantly never been there?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Your Profile lists Keystone as your favorite trail, yet you've apparantly never been there?
    hahahahaha that makes me laugh...
    Purple Popcorn

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    [QUOTE=IntenseRdr]All the Canadian riders have health care from their gov. so they dont have to sue to pay their medical costs./QUOTE]

Good God I wish America was like that...

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Well my favorite car is a 1970 Hemi Cuda but I sure as hell can't afford one

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Well my favorite car is a 1970 Hemi Cuda but I sure as hell can't afford one
    hmmm not quite the same in my eyes though...you cant say you favorite trail is something you ave never irdin on but IMO you can say you favorite car is something you have never driven before...
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Keystone is awesome and there's plenty to do in the area.
    Santa Cruz Bullit AM build

mtbr member
    They have everything. The singletrack is the best part of it. The expert trails are pretty hairy, I stuck with the greens/blues cause I haven't grown the balls to do anything more difficult.
    Santa Cruz Bullit AM build

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    hmmm not quite the same in my eyes though...you cant say you favorite trail is something you ave never irdin on but IMO you can say you favorite car is something you have never driven before...
    I don't know, I've seen trail in videos that I've never ridden (Cranked, NWD, etc) that are pretty awesome. Some that Wade Simmons has ridden that I might say are my favorite. I think the Cuda is pretty awesome although I've never driven one....And it's still my favorite. I'm not trying to stand up for "odo", just playing devils advocate...

I mean I've driven plenty of cars but never a Ferrari....and I've ridden plenty of trails just not....________.
    Last edited by NorKal; 03-22-2007 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    What up y'all!
    I live in Vail and the snow is melting faster than a icecube in hell. I will be amazed if Vail makes it to closing day 4/22.
    A-basis will probably still be open.

Keystone has great trails. Most trails from blue level up have gaps and some tables. Some drops and ladder bridges. Cool high speed berms right into back to back gappers. The black+ trails have big rock gardens and tight sections. It's all good and almost all sections can be rolled without penalty.

The skills park at the bottom has 2 -back2back2back jumps. One set is a table and the other is a gapper. There is also a few teeters and some drop type thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have never been to W but i have been to keystone and i love it! There are new trails and the town is, in fact, growing but there is not an over abundance of restaurants. There are, however, quite a few within a 20 min drive (IE breck, dillion, etc) DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT ride breck on a DH bike. It was alright but it was definitely more XC/tourist oriented. Def a waste of my time, at least. If you want the better trails, stick with Keystone. Also, if you are concerned about food more than lodging, stay in Breck. The hotels will be more expensive though. If you do go to Keystone, def go to breck just to check out the town. BTW, try the food at the little yellow crepe cart- its excellent.

odo
    mtbr member
    I have been to Keystone a while back but I have not been there lately to see the changes that have been made, so I would not know what the trails are like now would I!

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker0755
    BTW, try the food at the little yellow crepe cart- its excellent.
    Are those the thin little pancakes filled with jelly? I had a mess of those this morning. They're pretty good.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Are those the thin little pancakes filled with jelly? I had a mess of those this morning. They're pretty good.
    yes they are indeed little "pancakes" but there they r filled w stuff like chocolate, berries, fruit, nuts, caramel and any other crazy fillind stuff you can think of (yess they have jelly too) lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    when i went there last sept, there were like 2 teeter, a few (like 6 or 7) different skinnies/ wood bridges and a few step ups to those giant spool thingies. those were all in the skills park. there were also some ladder bridges and a few small berms on some of the trails. i here they might make some more but i am not sure how much/ what.

Members who have read this thread: 0