Key to sizing and saddle location?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Key to sizing and saddle location?

A bit of newb DH question as I have been riding XC for the most part. I am 6'4" 200 lbs.....What is the key to sizing a DH bike? And where should the seat position be for someone my height?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J and H.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    the key to sizing your DH bike is your reach. You can't really solve lack of reach with a long stem, since you really don't want to push the bars too far forward on a DH bike. Nor can you solve it with a layback seatpost, since you aren't really sitting down much. That's why getting a bike with a proper reach is very important, and really the only way to do that is to test ride the various sizes.
    how comfortable are you in the cockpit, cramped or too stretched out?
    are you hitting your knees on the handlebars, or are you throwing your back out trying to manual the bike?

as far as seat position goes, it's very much a personal thing for everyone.
    Generally speaking you want your seat tilted back considerably more than for XC, for ease of "sliding-off" to get behind the bike.
    As far as height - start with having your seat high enough to where it contacts the inside of your knee when you're standing on your bike in attack position, and adjust from there.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info blender.

I guess the only question I have is how do I determine regardless of brand or size if the reach is sufficient. Sitting on the bike I currently have (09 Perp) I am not stretched out at all. Arms fully extended I am plenty far enough behing the saddle. Maybe too far??? Not sure where my rump should be or how to quantify too far. Knees aren't hitting the handle bars.

I knew about the general positions of the saddle, ie. low and angled back as I played around a bit on my XC bike. I just wasn't sure how low was too low and was looking for a general height to start with. I guess it boils down to, since spending so much time on XC sitting on the Perp saddle made me feel like my knees where at my chin. Just going to take some getting used to being in attack position 90% of the time (I guess)

Any additional details or suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    check to make sure the low saddle height doesn't hit the rear tire as it goes deep into the travel. i usually set mine up just above that height and call it good. you'll be standing most of the time anyway so saddle height isn't critical like for XC.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    don't underestimate the importance of saddle height!

i know a lot of guys that like to just "drop it out of the way", which isn't the best thing to do if you're trying to become a faster downhiller. Slamming the saddle is fine if you're just hucking or hitting a big jump trail, but you will need your seat a bit higher than that if you're going to shred real DH.

being able to touch and pressure the saddle with the inside of your knee gives you an additional point of control of the bike in corners.
    it is also important having a saddle at an adequate height to actually be able to sit and pedal through some sections, as well as readjust your feet on the pedals should they get displaced.

don't agree? take a look at the WC race bike setups, you will not find a single "slammed" saddle.

Minnaar's V10

mtbr member
    I have been looking at pics of the pros and trying to make a judgement based on their choice of height. Peat and I are pretty much the same height, so I was looking primarily at his. I'll try a couple of different positions and see what works for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0