Kevlar bead tire questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kevlar bead tire questions

Have you guys been OK running Kevlar bead normal casing tires? I want to try them to save the weight, as I run a decent amount of pressure anyway, but not sure if I'm gonna pop a bead or something coming hard into a turn.

Just not sure if it's worth the gamble.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For me it comes down to riding style, terrain, and to a certain extent rider weight. While I haevn't ridden true stndard sidewall tires, I do ride kevlar beaded UST tires that are not full blown DH casings and have had good luck so far. I'm 150 pounds and don't consider myself to be super aggressive. I ride fairly fast and tend to work more on being smooth rather than plowing through stuff. I have had no flats, punctures, blown beads, etc..

ready to ride
    kevlar bead tires are the same as folding bead right?
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    My experience with kevlar bead tires is great. Although, I weigh only 140 lbs and run 35-40 psi all the time.

However, never have I had a puncture from thorns, never have I pinched and the only bad experience I had was using a 541g 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic which blew entirely off the rim at 45 psi from a moto-whip into a corner. However, I've been experimenting with nearly every tire that I can find with an aggressive tread pattern and a sub 750g weight and they all seem to hold up fine until you go to extremes with the weight.

mtbr member
    I have a Marin Quake XLT 7" Travel and have always ran kevlar beaded tires. The bike weighs about 40 pounds ready to race and I weigh 145 without gear. I used to run 2.35" Kenda Nevegals single ply, would run about 35psi and would pinch flat every so often. They gripped well but there was a very fine line I found of air pressure versus pinch flats. So I bought a set of 2.5" Kenda Nevegals single ply kevlar bead and since there is more volume of tire I can run 28psi (optimum for me) through any terrain and have yet to pinch flat or blow a bead. I used to run DH casings, wire bead, 2.7's, 2.5's and for me all that rubber just adds rotating mass and no more protection.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    my only issue with kevlar beads is how freaking floppy they are when you're trying to install them. haha, it's not a big issue but i find it annoying

OMG!
    i just got some intense fro lites with folding bead. they seem to work fine after just a few rides. running 30-35psi

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    my only issue with kevlar beads is how freaking floppy they are when you're trying to install them. haha, it's not a big issue but i find it annoying
    SOOOO much easier to mount though.

mtbr member
    Thanks all!

I guess I could have labeled the thread folding bead.

I just yesterday tried some Kenda Nevegals in folding bead normal casings. I started out with 40psi front rear as I am right at 200lbs. The rear felt OK but the front was skatey in the turns, as I thought it would be. Down to 32psi front 35psi rear and I like the setup! Tires feel very locked on the rims, and the light weight tires really do seem to speed up quicker out of the turns.

I'm just going to pay more attention to tire pressure rather than just assuming all is well and doind the squeeze test.

Members who have read this thread: 0