Kenda 2.7 on an 888rc2x ?- Mtbr.com
    Just another FOC'er

Kenda 2.7 on an 888rc2x ?

Does anybody know if the BG 2.7 or Nev 2.7 will fit on that fork?

I know they barely fit on a 66rc2x and not without the side knobs grinding away at the arch somewhat. It would be nice if the 888rc2x brake arch was a tad wider.

Equal opportunity meanie
    They should. My Michi 2.8 on a wide rim fits with good clearance if that helps.

I thought the 66 and 888 lowers were identical, no?

Pro Crastinator
    you could fit a gazzy 3.0 in there if you wanted.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    the gazzy and a couple of starving crack addicts will fit too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Just another FOC'er
    You mean I might have some other use than wall art for my two brand new, four year old, gazz 3.0's? Nah, no reason to go crazy here.

Thanks

Meh.
    I know that the fit with my buddy's 2.7 Nevegals on his 06 66 was EXTREMELY tight. The knobs would rub the top and the sides a bit.

moaaar shimz
    Ive seen them, they will fit..

~~~~~~~~
    that's weird, I've run the 2.7 BG on my 66SL and didn't notice any clearance issues and I'm pretty good about noticing stuff like that. Could it be a rim width thing?

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    that's weird, I've run the 2.7 BG on my 66SL and didn't notice any clearance issues and I'm pretty good about noticing stuff like that. Could it be a rim width thing?
    You're pretty light, right? I swear that the pressure bigger guys run actually expands the tire quite a bit, especially on the single plys. Even the DH casing 2.7's seem to get somewhat bigger.

Or maybe I'm just hallucinating again.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    You're pretty light, right? I swear that the pressure bigger guys run actually expands the tire quite a bit, especially on the single plys. Even the DH casing 2.7's seem to get somewhat bigger.

Or maybe I'm just hallucinating again.
    I was thinking about that, I ran the DH tires and lower pressures, the single plys and higher pressures would make for a bigger stretched out tire.

mtbr member
    Can do...I seen it. (In my garage)

2.7 Nevy's front and rear on Deemaxs (which is a pretty narrow rim) but I've still seen way fatter gear hanging between an 8'sters legs.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I second that. I ran 2.7 Nevegals on my 06 888 all year, with plenty of room to spare.

mtbr member

Good job!

I am running 888RC2X with 2.7 minions front and rear, you can still fit bigger if needed...

One last time: Tire/fork fit are ABSOLUTELY determined by rim width: Any tire fit question is useless without telling what rim you are using.

I've ridden a 2.8 Michellin on a Super T on a Mavic 321 with no mods and no rubbing and plenty of clearance for Snowshoe mud. If I rode a wider rim, it likely would not work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    One last time: Tire/fork fit are ABSOLUTELY determined by rim width: Any tire fit question is useless without telling what rim you are using.
    not true in this case (but holds true in most other instances), i've seen a 3.0 gazzy on a doublewide rim in a 888, the tire /rim selection doesn't get any larger than that....

(edit: i should clarify it was on an '05 888, from what i can tell the lowers are the same size on the '06 lineup)
    (double edit: after viewing the pic 2 posts below, i am beginning to think i saw a 24" setup without realizing it...)
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 10-20-2006 at 12:29 PM.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Must be. I tried a 2.7 BG with my 66Light and the side knobs of the tire rubbed the arch. I'm using the WTB Laser DH rims.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt tracks
    I am running 888RC2X with 2.7 minions front and rear, you can still fit bigger if needed...
    Here's a pic of a friends 888rc2x fully compressed. It's got 2.7f minion on it w/ex823 rim. You can also see that the 'min' line ends up right at the dust seal, so dropping the crown below the min line is a bad idea.

I thought that the 66 and 888 used to share the same lowers. Obviously that's no longer true.
    Attached Images Attached Images

not true in this case (but holds true in most other instances), i've seen a 3.0 gazzy on a doublewide rim in a 888, the tire /rim selection doesn't get any larger than that....
    True, WCH. I was just speaking in general terms, the 888 can fit just about anything.

Members who have read this thread: 0