Keep Bottlerocket or swap for Sinister Gruitr?- Mtbr.com
    Bikes Rule

Keep Bottlerocket or swap for Sinister Gruitr?

Just as the title says. I have a Bottlerocket now which I absolutely love. I built it from the ground up. I have the ability to get an 08' Gruitr (for a good price) and I am seriously considering one.

Mainly I absolutely love the BR. Hands down it has delivered everything I have ever asked and then some. I am thinking about the Gruitr since the frame is basically 3-4 pounds lighter and can do everything the BR can. I built the BR mainly for FR and AM riding but want to also have the ability to do some XC when wanted. The BR is OK but at around 40lbs I could really get into a 36-37 lb bike and keep the same components all around. Sure I could drop some weight with new parts, but why? Everything is pretty much top end and durable.

I currently have a Manipoo Swinger 4-Way on there and I have tried a DHX 5.0 Air which IMO does not work well for me. Even with the psi maxxed out on both chambers, I blow through the travel on a 3-footer with a transition landing. It seems that the leverage ratio just does not work well with an air shock. Plus the dead feeling in the middle of the stroke of the travel stinks.

Any riders out there using the Gruitr in the same style as me?

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Having not ridden either of those I can confidently say to go for the the gruitr. Then again the BR is the popular choice. But it sounds like you need a more trail friendly bike which you make the case that the gruitr will be. Having talked to and ridden with Bruce on multiple occasions and riding the trails hes cut that inspired the gruitr I think you can't go wrong there.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I am partial to Sinister since I am LOVING my R9, but..... Do yourself a favor and sign up on the Sinister forum over at www.sinisterbikes.com. Ask any questions you like and you will get answers PRONTO by the likes of the company owners, current riders, and the man, Frank The Welder. Pretty good source for info if you ask me.

PULL
    If you said 3-4 pounds of rotational weight, I'd say go for it. 3-4 pounds of static weight is not going to feel like much of a difference. I'd stick with the BR and spec a lighter build, but that is what you didn't want to hear.

mtbr member
    I have tried both, I like the TBR more than the gruitr.... TBR feels stiffer, and more nimble and after all the sinister gruitr is more like a xc/am frame to me.

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    If you said 3-4 pounds of rotational weight, I'd say go for it. 3-4 pounds of static weight is not going to feel like much of a difference. I'd stick with the BR and spec a lighter build, but that is what you didn't want to hear.
    Well considering I just built a brand new light wheelset, I think a 3-4 pound drop in static weight will be pretty good. I think a lot of my weight is in the frame and shock as opposed to a lot of heavy parts. Other than the Van 36 RC2 and brakes, the build is fairly light. But agred that I could go lighter in some areas.

I am actually going up to the Sinister site and ride a small and medium, hopefully with Bruce. I really want to check out the 2 sizes and get a feel for the frame. I plan to head up to Gloucester next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, you can save 3-4 pounds on a Gruitr, but holy flexy, I wouldnt even think of doing "freeride" on one. I will be keeping my Bottlerocket!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    Yes, you can save 3-4 pounds on a Gruitr, but holy flexy, I wouldnt even think of doing "freeride" on one. I will be keeping my Bottlerocket!
    Apparently, you've never ridden a production Gruitr.

i like rocks
    i say keep the BR. that sinister frame does nothing for me.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

SamIAm
    PICTURES!!!!!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I'd rather take a gruitr myself, but since you already have the br wait for sinister to launch their new line of bikes with vst suspension the passion and poison, then jump on one of those. They are waiting on patents, and best case they may hit the trails in 4 to 6 months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by btf95
    Apparently, you've never ridden a production Gruitr.

Of course you would say that, you are the owner of the company. If my tiny 110 pound girlfriend can flex it, its flexy. I feel like its about to rip in half in tight bermed turns let alone actually hitting anything of significant size on one. I have ridden both tester and production Gruitrs and they just arent for me. I like the pre-production ones better. I like my Bottlerocket and my Double.

She may be trying to use this bike for something it wasnt really built for. I was kinda under the impression this was a slopestylish/dj/4x bike, but maybe thats just what I misheard from one of the reps.
    Last edited by simcik; 08-03-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    I'd rather take a gruitr myself, but since you already have the br wait for sinister to launch their new line of bikes with vst suspension the passion and poison, then jump on one of those. They are waiting on patents, and best case they may hit the trails in 4 to 6 months.
    No need. I just built a new Turner Highline as my "big bike". Looking for something in the 5-6" and light FR capable.

mtbr member
    Of course you would say that, you are the owner of the company. If my tiny 110 pound girlfriend can flex it, its flexy. I feel like its about to rip in half in tight bermed turns let alone actually hitting anything of significant size on one. I have ridden both tester and production Gruitrs and they just arent for me. I like the pre-production ones better. I like my Bottlerocket and my Double.

She may be trying to use this bike for something it wasnt really built for. I was kinda under the impression this was a slopestylish/dj/4x bike, but maybe thats just what I misheard from one of the reps.
    Well sorry to hear that. I know a bunch of guys racing 4x with podium finishes this season on Gruitr's. The pre-production frames were made from different tubing and such. The production frames were beefed up. Frames are night and day. I'm curious to know who's frame you rode. I know where most of the frames are. If there is an issue with flex it may be the swing arm needs tightening. Or some other issue with the swing arm/frame. Have her check the wheelset too. And I'm not saying that because I'm the "owner" of the company. I'm not the type to blow smoke up peeps azz. I tend to stick to the truth, it usually works out for the best. We just are not getting complaints about flex. The gruitr is a tight, rock-solid ride. Believe me. It has less flex than prophets(MX), bullits, hecklers, moorewoods, etc. What we are getting complaints about is only offering the frame in RAW. Thought we we doing something "green" by not using paint. Boy was I wrong...
    The Bottlerocket it is a sweeeet frame. The boys at Transition are awesome. Love their stuff. If anyone picked a Bottlerocket they would not be making a bad decision. Is it the best bike in the world. No. And I'm pretty sure Transition would agree. Is the Gruitr the best bike in the world. Nope. The best bike in the world is the bike you feel good on. If is stokes your heart and soul and performs well with you on it. Keep it. Cherish it, love it. There is a lot of junk out in the market, driven by non riding, profit driven, marketing hyping execs. We're a rider owned company as Transition is, and Canfield, and Knolly and...well you get the picture. None of us are doing this to get rich. We just like bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Her bike has been tightened on the rear end and the wheels are true and tensioned properly. Seems like the rear end loosens up once every few weeks or so. I agree, there is no such thing as a perfect bike. I found my Bullit to be less flexy. I like the Raw by the way. Looks better even after years of abuse than cheap paint does after a week. Sorry, I didnt mean to jump down your thought about being the owner, its cool you actually are interested in feedback on your frames. I was just chimming in as I had ridden both and my girl is selling hers to get a BR. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by btf95
    Well sorry to hear that. I know a bunch of guys racing 4x with podium finishes this season on Gruitr's. The pre-production frames were made from different tubing and such. The production frames were beefed up. Frames are night and day. I'm curious to know who's frame you rode. I know where most of the frames are. If there is an issue with flex it may be the swing arm needs tightening. Or some other issue with the swing arm/frame. Have her check the wheelset too. And I'm not saying that because I'm the "owner" of the company. I'm not the type to blow smoke up peeps azz. I tend to stick to the truth, it usually works out for the best. We just are not getting complaints about flex. The gruitr is a tight, rock-solid ride. Believe me. It has less flex than prophets(MX), bullits, hecklers, moorewoods, etc. What we are getting complaints about is only offering the frame in RAW. Thought we we doing something "green" by not using paint. Boy was I wrong...
    The Bottlerocket it is a sweeeet frame. The boys at Transition are awesome. Love their stuff. If anyone picked a Bottlerocket they would not be making a bad decision. Is it the best bike in the world. No. And I'm pretty sure Transition would agree. Is the Gruitr the best bike in the world. Nope. The best bike in the world is the bike you feel good on. If is stokes your heart and soul and performs well with you on it. Keep it. Cherish it, love it. There is a lot of junk out in the market, driven by non riding, profit driven, marketing hyping execs. We're a rider owned company as Transition is, and Canfield, and Knolly and...well you get the picture. None of us are doing this to get rich. We just like bikes.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    same thoughts from me too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    same thoughts from me too
    Well thanks for the opinions. First off I will notice a 3-4 lb drop in weight. I notice a difference in a pound honestly. I have built enough bikes and slowly made them better/lighter and I really can feel a difference in a lot of things.

As far as going lighter in the build, that is all well and good but considering that I want all of my parts to last, I don't intend to go lighter on anything. The build is fairly light except for fork and brakes. Since I need a new post, I will drop some quickly with a new Thomson.

Considering that my Highline weighs less than the BR - and the HL has a Totem, old school hayes Mags, Saint cranks and a burly wheelset - I am pretty confident that my Fox Van, lighter brakes, Hone cranks and light wheelset will make a lighter build on the Gruitr. It is the frame that is heavy, not so much the build. Sure people have their BR in the 34-36lb range but usually they are using an air fork, air shock or both. I already tried the air shock route and hated it on the BR. Maybe it is a leverage ratio thing or maybe the shock is just not good - either way I tried it and did not like it.

And Bruce (BTF95) has been great with my thousand questions. It is great when an owner/operator of a bike company takes the time to respond to boards. That is what I like about Transition, Turner and BlackMarket - all of which I have had great experiences with.

Bike Ninja |||

Totally agree with you Nick. Nadia's Gruitr is flexy as hell, and for what it is, overly heavy. And I am the mechanic that works on her bikes often. Even after a complete tear down re-grease and re-torque of all pivot bolts, it flexed considerably. Hubs and wheels were tensioned as well that time....

I've rode hers, and another one, in addition to a plethora of Bottlerockets and my Vote is 100% for the BR. no contest at all.
    Last edited by chooofoojoo; 08-04-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

SamIAm
    PICTURES!!!!! show me a FR gruitr or something!
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Bikes Rule
    Here are a few that I have found along the way:

Bikes Rule
    Update: I ordered the Gruitr. Done deal.

Looking forward to the build and ride report.

mtbr member

Sinister Freeride Pic

The GRUITR loves abuse! It's not skeerd to take what you throw at it.

Members who have read this thread: 0