keep 26" front or switch both to 24"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

keep 26" front or switch both to 24"?

I have a new hardtail frame thats got some clearance issues with a 26" wheels... Even with a tioga 2.1, there's barely enough room to slip a sheet of paper in there. it's not the width of the chainstays that's the problem, but that the way the cnc yoke on the chainstay is made that almost clips the top of the tire.

I want to switch to a 24" rear wheel and keep the tire as narrow as possible. Because of where I live, I'm limited to Kenda tires. The Blue Groove/Nevegals are at 24"x2.5" and the Kinetics are 24"X2.6". Anyone have experience with these tires? Are they really as wide as they claim? I don't wanna run into some "sideways" clearance issues later on, and I'd kinda like a *narrower* tire. Yeah, I've also looked into getting some BMX cruiser tires...

Also, for the front end, I'm running a 2000 marz z1, old bolt on crown, 130mm. If I put a 24" rear tire in there and keep the front a 26", how much will that slacken my head angle? I've heard something like 3 deg. That's too much for me...

So, to keep my head angle under control, I think I should have dual 24s. Anyone trail ride with this setup (on either a hardtail or dually)? I've researched as much as I could about this subject, but there are some questions that I just had to ask.
    If you even have the smallest bit of info about the above, please post it or pm me. Thanks!

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, what frame is that where you can't even fit a 2.1" tire in the back...that just doesn't sound right, even for an XC hardtail.

Regardless, if you've done your research on 24", I'm sure that you are aware of their potential drawbacks (top speed, rolling over things), and whether those would affect you much. So yah, if you feel that you need more than a 2.1" tire in the back, a 24" might be good for you. But unless you are getting a deal on buying the front and rear wheel at the same time, why not just try a rear 24" out. Yah, you'll slacken out the headtube angle a few degrees, but maybe you'll find it's not a big deal. Depending on the terrain you do, a 26" front wheel can make you're life a whole lot easier, in terms of hitting obstacles.

Also realize that either of these options will lower your bottom bracket, 2-24-ers will substantially lower it (1", but you can make some of that up when you put on those fatty tires).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rastafox
    I have a new hardtail frame thats got some clearance issues with a 26" wheels... Even with a tioga 2.1, there's barely enough room to slip a sheet of paper in there. it's not the width of the chainstays that's the problem, but that the way the cnc yoke on the chainstay is made that almost clips the top of the tire.

I want to switch to a 24" rear wheel and keep the tire as narrow as possible. Because of where I live, I'm limited to Kenda tires. The Blue Groove/Nevegals are at 24"x2.5" and the Kinetics are 24"X2.6". Anyone have experience with these tires? Are they really as wide as they claim? I don't wanna run into some "sideways" clearance issues later on, and I'd kinda like a *narrower* tire. Yeah, I've also looked into getting some BMX cruiser tires...

Also, for the front end, I'm running a 2000 marz z1, old bolt on crown, 130mm. If I put a 24" rear tire in there and keep the front a 26", how much will that slacken my head angle? I've heard something like 3 deg. That's too much for me...

So, to keep my head angle under control, I think I should have dual 24s. Anyone trail ride with this setup (on either a hardtail or dually)? I've researched as much as I could about this subject, but there are some questions that I just had to ask.
    If you even have the smallest bit of info about the above, please post it or pm me. Thanks!

Chris
    I have a Nev 24x2.5 on the back of my current HT (an old XC frame with no machined yoke) and it fits, but it's a real 2.5" wide so you'll have to make sure there's room, since some CS yokes flare in at the point a 24" might hit. I hear the Kinetics is not a true 2.6 wide so that should fit if the Nev is too fat.

Depending on the tire, a rear 24 will lower the back end ~1", so should only slack your HA by ~1 degree (similar to a 1" taller fork), and lower the BB by ~1/2". I agree with Shibby you should try a rear 24, with as big a tire that will fit, and see how it rides with the 26 on the front. I have a 4" fork with this combo and long climbs are a challenge, but doable, and it works really well on steep downhills.

Bighit Evangalest

24"

I roll with dual 24"s and I love it. I didnt have much choice really though either. I ride a big hit and I cant stand having the front a 26 and the back a 24, I reckon it feels like you are riding a chopper.
    I find that dual 24 feels like it handles better, it certainly feels good for jumping. I do find though that its sometimes hard to get enough speed for dirtjumps but some of that has to do with the suspension sucking up the ramp and other factors like the weight off the bike.
    I'd say give it a go, you really dont know till ya try it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To feel no fear denotes a lack of intellegence.
    True courage is feeling the fear and doing it anyway.

USB Rep'n

26/24 here on a Chameleon...

pretty slack HA to start with but I agree with the above that you should only lose about 1 degree of angle. Mine really doesn't feel choppered with that setup. For park, dual 24's are sweet but on the trail, the 26 up front is really helpful. The Kinetics do not run true to stated either. Tey tend to be narrower so maybe that would work for you.

Good luck dude!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!