Karpiel Disco Volante Specs anyone???- Mtbr.com
    REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!

Karpiel Disco Volante Specs anyone???

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to view this posting.

I'm looking into getting a Karpiel DV, bounced around on it, and for the most part, loved it, but it is old as #%)(&$#

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do a complete rebuild on it, and right now, I am having a hard time finding specs on it. If there is anyone out there who knows the BB shell sizing, as well as the rear spacing (i.e. 135 or 150mm) and have any other helpful tips on how to set it up, (i.e. suspension linkage, what-ever) that would be greatly apreciated as well...

Thanks..
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

StraightOuttaCompton
    try the karpiel site. I am pretty sure that they only come in frames, not as a whole but i am not 100% positive
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    add it up

a company that comes and goes with biz + the bike is old = Don't buy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

StraightOuttaCompton
    good call SMT, that is something to think about Gravity Assist

Just so you guys know, Karpiel has re-opened this year ( 2007) promising the return of his bikes late this year, early next year... or whatever...

The main reason Jan Karpiel came out of retirement was because his frames were so popular and saught after. I'm also pretty sure he's helped designed frames for other companies held in higher esteem as well. OH, and I did find that out all from the web site... Did you think i would actually post this in the forum without looking at the site first??? I'm asking the things I am because The questions i have (i.e. rear spacing, BB size) are not included on that site.

I need advice from someone who has actually ridden and owned this bike , which clearly isn't either of the two of you. If one of you woul have, you would not be trying to talk me out of it right now.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    Just so you guys know, Karpiel has re-opened this year ( 2007) promising the return of his bikes late this year, early next year... or whatever...
    actually you asked for advice and you got it.......old bike plus a company that says late this year, early next year or whatever.....I wouldn't trust that.....who cares .....when you really get down to it....why do you want an old bike that you may not get parts for....

For you to come off by saying " I need advice from someone who has actually ridden and owned this bike , which clearly isn't either of the two of you. If one of you woul have, you would not be trying to talk me out of it right now" ...

this either means

1)you work for the company,
    2)market for the company,
    3)dumb or
    4)so set on getting the bike you are blind to reason (still stupid) ...

So my question is which one are you????
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How old is the frame? I have an 00 Armageddon with standard specs. 135 rear, 73 bb.

mtbr member
    135 rear spacing.
    73 bottom bracket.
    all the Karpiel frames used these measurements (I own an Armageddon and an Apocalypse).
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

The bottom bracket length is 73mm, but is it X 113 or 116? in diameter...

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    actually you asked for advice and you got it.......old bike plus a company that says late this year, early next year or whatever.....I wouldn't trust that.....who cares .....when you really get down to it....why do you want an old bike that you may not get parts for....

For you to come off by saying " I need advice from someone who has actually ridden and owned this bike , which clearly isn't either of the two of you. If one of you woul have, you would not be trying to talk me out of it right now" ...

this either means

3)dumb or

You know... People tolerate a lot from you in this forum. Your replies to people's postings are often short, blunt, sarcastic, and very humerous at times because of the nerve you have to actually say the things you say to people that are in need of help. BUT, thats about the extent of it. I seriously doubt few of your postings ever help anyone. The majority of the time, your just a $%(& like right now in my posting.

I am about to get this bike for dirt cheap. I have so many left over components, forks, you name it, from other previous bikes, that I could probably rebuild it without it hardly costing me anything., but I wanted the exact measurements of everything so I know what I have and don't have for the bike.

OH, and nowhere in that posting, did I ask for an opinion on rather or not I should get the bike.

Quite a few of your comments make me wonder rather or not you should be in the 29'er forum instead of the DH/FR.... I wonder what level Dungeon Master you are? Clearly you are a very old and stricken person to conduct yourself the way you do... but whatever,....

Oh, I just can't wait to read your next one-lined insult...( sarcasm)
    Last edited by Gravity Assist; 11-19-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Bike Ninja |||

bb are standard diameters

spindle width is another question. If i remember right it should be a 113. could be wrong though.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

this either means

3)dumb or

he's right dude, hearsay on an irrelevant subject is far more important than the answers to the questions you actually posed.

StraightOuttaCompton
    You know... People tolerate a lot from you in this forum. Your replies to people's postings are often short, blunt, sarcastic, and very humerous at times because of the nerve you have to actually say the things you say to people that are in need of help. BUT, thats about the extent of it. I seriously doubt few of your postings ever help anyone. The majority of the time, your just a $%(& like right now in my posting.

I am about to get this bike for dirt cheap. I have so many left over components, forks, you name it, from other previous bikes, that I could probably rebuild it without it hardly costing me anything., but I wanted the exact measurements of everything so I know what I have and don't have for the bike.

OH, and nowhere in that posting, did I ask for an opinion on rather or not I should get the bike.

Quite a few of your comments make me wonder rather or not you should be in the 29'er forum instead of the DH/FR.... I wonder what level Dungeon Master you are? Clearly you are a very old and stricken person to conduct yourself the way you do... but whatever,....

I'm not excatly
    no, he is usually helpful, at least when i post stuff. And i think tht SMT says that stuff because he loves his sexy ass intenses, not an in-and-out of service company. But this is MTBR, if you want 100% positive remarks on all of your posts, then i dont know what to tell you.

thanks man.

StraightOuttaCompton
    yessir

hope it is super cheap, Lots of people wouldn't ride a POS krapiel.

mtbr member
    Yep 113.

I love my Karpiels. More so than any other bike I've ridden. But that's me.
    I hope people keep slamming them and saying they are [email protected]: that means that they will be sold super cheap and then I can buy them! So please, keep it up!
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Yep 113.

I love my Karpiels. More so than any other bike I've ridden. But that's me.
    I hope people keep slamming them and saying they are [email protected]: that means that they will be sold super cheap and then I can buy them! So please, keep it up!

You don't need anymore.....

Having never actually seen one in person until you showed up at sunrise with the Apoc, I will say that there is some cool, old school engineering going on with those frames. Even though they are only a few years old, they are from a era of MTB'ing which progressed the sport to what it is today. Most say 2 shocks is retarded, but obviously companies like Corsair learned something from it.

The Apocolypse and Armageddon is completely nuts... isn't that the bike that bender used to ride? He road something from karpiel...

I found it!!!

Here It Is>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to Be Alive

Oh, I just can't wait to read your next one-lined insult...( sarcasm)
    You know what...I am sorry...if you can build a bike really cheap then do it...I was only stating that if the bike breaks you are out of luck....I put GH bikes and Karpiel in the same position..... I do not trust a company that goes in and out of business... and I don't play computer games

Quote Originally Posted by William42
    he's right dude, hearsay on an irrelevant subject is far more important than the answers to the questions you actually posed.
    hearsay??? How are my words hearsay???

any old bike I would recommend not to get..especial from a company that goes in and out of business

mtbr member
    SMT-is an idiot that fanaticizes about have dirty butt sex with pirates

Karpiels-crapass bikes that should be melted down and turned into beer cans.

I owned a armageddon in 1999 for about 1 month, it was a pile of poo. I placed a order for a disco but ended up with a brand new Intense M1 insted(great move).
    Buy a real bike from a real company.
    About the sizing-it varies, Jan Karpiel uses a yard stick for precise measurments and he has a blind monkey do all the welding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Here It Is>>>

that doesnt even look like a functional mountain bike. karpiel bikes are useful for hucking off cliffs and thats about it. on what DH course do you need 12 inches of travel? real DH bikes are going in the opposite way.......7-8 in of travel with lighter, more efficient designs.

its just like that guy who drives his hummer around the suburbs......it doesnt make any sense.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

sixsixtysix
    KavuRider kills it on his Apoc and Army with a 888 up front. Although the day he decided to throw the SuperMonster on it an pedal it uphill 5 miles was entertaining

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession
    that doesnt even look like a functional mountain bike. karpiel bikes are useful for hucking off cliffs and thats about it. on what DH course do you need 12 inches of travel? real DH bikes are going in the opposite way.......7-8 in of travel with lighter, more efficient designs.

That's funny.

My armageddon weighed 43lbs. Set at 9 inches of travel, it rode quite well on 'real' dh trails. I got my disco volante down to 38. Real wheels, real fork, real tires.

It was also the first bike that was worth a damn that used 2 swing links on a one piece swingarm. You know......like a sunday, glory, vpp etc.

They're outdated, have a shady business reputation, and had a few things that could have been improved but the bikes ride better than many being made today. Just because you have a problem associating those monstrosities that bender built with what the stock bikes were doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. They were good bikes if you got a straight one
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    fanaticizes about have dirty butt sex with pirates
    Hey! Is there something wrong with that?
    Jeez, dude. Butt-pirates have feelings too, y'know.
    Last edited by chris_f; 11-21-2007 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    KavuRider kills it on his Apoc and Army with a 888 up front. Although the day he decided to throw the SuperMonster on it an pedal it uphill 5 miles was entertaining
    Good times. Although that fork goes where it wants, not where you want it.

Thanks for the good words.
    I don't NEED another...I WANT another...

Anyways...

Kidwoo nailed it. Sure they're old school, but they are good bikes. And they aren't just for "hucking off cliffs"...although they do that very nicely. They pedal very well...my Apocalypse was 43 lbs at one point, with nothing particularly light on it.

Besides...its so much fun plowing straight through a boulder field!

sixsixtysix
    I think you need to put the SuperMonster on a Beach Crusier... That would be BLING

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    That's funny.

My armageddon weighed 43lbs. Set at 9 inches of travel, it rode quite well on 'real' dh trails. I got my disco volante down to 38. Real wheels, real fork, real tires.

It was also the first bike that was worth a damn that used 2 swing links on a one piece swingarm. You know......like a sunday, glory, vpp etc.

They're outdated, have a shady business reputation, and had a few things that could have been improved but the bikes ride better than many being made today. Just because you have a problem associating those monstrosities that bender built with what the stock bikes were doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. They were good bikes if you got a straight one

I was referring to the picture of Josh Bender's bike, not yours, Captain Karpiel. I'm sure your Karpiel maked you very happy.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    That is truth!! 30.000 posts looks like that guy have lot time to spend on front of the computer and less time riding a bike!!!

Now with flavor!!
    I was referring to the picture of Josh Bender's bike, not yours, Captain Karpiel. I'm sure your Karpiel maked you very happy.
    Well then you suck at the english.

karpiel bikes are useful for hucking off cliffs and thats about it.

See when you put an S at the end of the word, that means plural. When you don't specify a certain bike, that's a generalization.

Hope that helps.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

its just like that guy who drives his hummer around the suburbs......it doesnt make any sense.

You are absolutely right...About the Apocolypse that is...

11-13 inches of travel is prabably horrible for down hill, but for the $#!T bender did..(EXTREME FREERIDE) I'm pretty sure, it worked out just fine... The Apocolypse and probably the armageddon are for people with way bigger balls than mine... ( hense Bender, and a few others.

BUT, the Disco, 7-9 inches, V V P, 9.25 lbs, with a fearly heavy shock on it, I have a 7inch travel Freeride/AM bike, and I can't manuver that thing as well as I could the Disco ( which was way over built with rediculous stuff! Thats why I want it! Because I can build it up way better than it currently is now... and I think it will more than suffice.

If, however, it does break, so what... I'm not worried about warranty any what so ever, ( obviouisly) It will be my own project... I already have very current bikes from great companies already here just incase this doesn't work out to what I think it will... it will not be that big of a deal if it fails ( which I seriously doubt it will.)

That's funny.

Holy Crap.... SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY USING THEIR BRAIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by One_Speed
    hope it is super cheap, Lots of people wouldn't ride a POS krapiel.

OH, BUT LOTS OF PEOPLE WOULD...

mtbr member

No

You are absolutely right...About the Apocolypse that is...

11-13 inches of travel is prabably horrible for down hill
    Its not.
    If you learn to handle the bike correctly, it can make you faster, as you can take lines other's can't. This "you hvae to have a 35 lb 7" travel bike to race DH" crap is just that - crap. I honestly don't notice that it has so much travel, until I hit a drop, but I regularly pedal mine UPhill as well.

You will like the Disco, post pics when you get it.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    About 6 years ago, I was riding with an ex-pro named Bill Roberts. He had a Disco built up at 37 lbs. (6 years ago!) He killed it on that bike. A very skilled rider who could do anything before I could even process the outcome in my mind. I don't doubt the Disco's abilitys, but I've heard a lot of things that would make me never purchase one.

If you get the frame, make sure you have back-up linkages, pivots, ect. ect. Good luck.
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

You know what...I am sorry...if you can build a bike really cheap then do it...I was only stating that if the bike breaks you are out of luck....I put GH bikes and Karpiel in the same position..... I do not trust a company that goes in and out of business... and I don't play computer games

hearsay??? How are my words hearsay???

any old bike I would recommend not to get..especial from a company that goes in and out of business

Hey man, trust me. Its not like I'm going to bet my life on this thing; thats entirely not the case... I guess my big problem is I get bored easily, and always want to try new stuff out, even if it is old. I've went through 8 bikes in the past year-1/2 alone because of boord'm....the ones that I didn't break, I sold. But its all in preference, I doubt this bike will be any different.

Tough thing about that SMT hater thread man, that sucks that they had over 7 pages of the whole forum bashing on you. I hope you get through all of that alright.

Bum Buzzer

this either means

3)dumb or

Maybe you should answer the question that was asked? For someone who regularly derides people for their writing skills and behavior, you are one poorly behaved butcher of the written language. How hard is it to stay on topic, and why the need to be insulting? Maybe: "Heres the info you asked for, but I think you're wasting your time with a DV because - ..." would have been reasonable and infinitely more appropriate to the topic versus what you actually wrote.

mtbr member
    The new 2008 Armageddon's and Disco's are currently in production as we speak. The only detail I will give out at this time is the swingarm is a 150mm thru axle. Stay tuned for more details....................................

mtbr member
    116mm is what you want.

A lot of you guys are bashing Jan Karpiel. His VVP linkage was the first of its kind. I could be wrong, but Bikes like the Iron Horse Sunday, Verious INTENSE bikes, Santa Cruz, use this design, and pay the patten and design fee to Jan Karpiel to design a lot of their bikes. That is were he makes his money... In his suspension designs, that is why he discontinued his bikes.... supposedly.

Contrary to so many who hit up this tread, Karpiel bikes went back into production because of their popularity from the past. Many pro riders wanted it back....but whatever; believe what you want.

moaaar shimz
    I thought the first VPP kind of suspension was made by Balfa.... and no, AFAIK Dave Weagle et all don't pay anything to Mr. Karpiel.

mtbr member
    Outland held the VPP patent that SC and Intense bought. Outland and Karpiel were around the same time. He was progressive in his designs. It seemed like that was the bike of choice for the guys going big in Moab around 1997. Anybody like the Rampage? Well, the Karpiels were the first bikes that worked for pioneering/exploring those spots. I have checked out an Armegedeon built light for DH race and it felt good (for that time period). It is funny how people say 11-13 inches for DH is rediculous and then go and say dude the new V10 is sick. Fashion?

Members who have read this thread: 1