K9 industries headset reducer cups- Mtbr.com
    FM
    mtbr member

New question here. K9 industries headset reducer cups

Has anybody tried these?
    If so... how was the installation, any issues with creaking or headset reliability after some use?

mtbr member
    Looks really similar to the E13 zerostack - those I have been using (with FSA bearings) for a few years now w no issues

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Looks really similar to the E13 zerostack
    Pretty similar at first glance....
    The big difference being that these k9 cups change your head angle +/- 2 degrees, by putting the headset at an angle to your head tube.

I have some concerns about this- seems like your head tube has to be perfectly faced, the headset upper & lower cups have to be perfectly aligned, and the head tube length has to be exactly to spec, otherwise you'd be wearing out bearings and putting extra stress on the steerer tube.

The potential benefits are huge though- so I was hoping somebody had some personal experience with them.

I emailed the MFG last week but haven't heard back yet. I'll post back here if/when I do.

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Question: I am currently using a Cane Creek XXC Flush Headset on my XL Turner Highline. It’s the only headset out there that has a low enough total stack height to accommodate an 888 or Fox 40 with a massive 6” head tube. (10.1mm) the thing that has me worried is the amount of cup insertion depth is very thin. 5/8 on the lower cup and a little less on the top, do you think I will run into issues if I keep using it? Or should I make the switch to the e13 etc…?

Is there a recommended cup depth for a DH application and 1.5 head tube?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Professional Troll
    I don't understand how you reliably align the top and bottom cups for setups like these? Do you just install the bottom one, then put the steerer tube through it and hope its all dandy?

maker of trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Question: I am currently using a Cane Creek XXC Flush Headset on my XL Turner Highline. It’s the only headset out there that has a low enough total stack height to accommodate an 888 or Fox 40 with a massive 6” head tube. (10.1mm) the thing that has me worried is the amount of cup insertion depth is very thin. 5/8 on the lower cup and a little less on the top, do you think I will run into issues if I keep using it? Or should I make the switch to the e13 etc…?

Not sure on cup depth, but I have a E13 1.5 to IS reducer cup in my bike, that has a decent insert depth (can't remember the exact amount) and results in a flush head set. If that helps..

mtbr member

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite

What does this have to do with the OP's post/thread title?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hey FM, I've got a set on the way for my wife's Socom. Obtanium Performance Products is the US supplier for them. Give Jim a holler and I'm sure he can sort you out.

I can't wait to give these things a try. I'm planning to pull the slacker drop-outs off and install these cups to wind up with a slacker HTA but a steeper STA. This should make the Socom pedal a lot better for those FR days yet still be more stable on the DH.

We shall see....

Oh and on alignment, I'm pretty sure there's a mark on the cup and then you just measure and mark your head tube so that they line up perfectly. The Corsair Maelstrom that I ride has 1 deg offset cups, it has marks on the frame and cups for easy install.

mtbr member
    Try shooting an email over to http://www.mbr.co.uk/ asking their advice.

They've had two sets for a while now in a Morewood and a Rune, they used them to do the Mega Avalanche this year. They seemed to like them.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Err

Oh and on alignment, I'm pretty sure there's a mark on the cup and then you just measure and mark your head tube so that they line up perfectly. The Corsair Maelstrom that I ride has 1 deg offset cups, it has marks on the frame and cups for easy install.
    Figured that might the case. Sounds kinda ghetto and an easy way to mess up your headtube/headset/bearings

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    I don't understand how you reliably align the top and bottom cups for setups like these? Do you just install the bottom one, then put the steerer tube through it and hope its all dandy?
    Exactly... I see the cups have a mark on the edge, which is needs to go straight ahead, or straight back. So those have to be aligned, and the head tube length has to be exact, otherwise you're putting funky loads on the steerer tube.

Maybe there's some special trick explained in the instructions

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Hey FM, I've got a set on the way for my wife's Socom. Obtanium Performance Products is the US supplier for them. Give Jim a holler and I'm sure he can sort you out.
    Ah good to hear. I'll try him for more info. Thanks!

sixsixtysix
    i am running the Works Components offset cups which are basically the same thing without the included headset. I opted for a Cane Creek 110 integrated headset to go with it, which took a little machining to get the clearance from the bearing cap, but nothing to major.

As for creaking, I haven't had any, and it seems rock solid.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    i am running the Works Components offset cups which are basically the same thing without the included headset.
    Hey sixsixtysix, is there a link or any other info you could post on this product?

Did some searching and didn't find nothin'... thanks

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Hey sixsixtysix, is there a link or any other info you could post on this product?

Did some searching and didn't find nothin'... thanks

Here ya go.

https://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/...dcups-65-c.asp

They work with any Cane Creek 36/45 standard intergrated headset.

Here's what they look like installed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Im going to get these for my glory fr 5.1in headtube 66.5 deg. but i wasnt sure to get the 1 degree or 2 degree cups (either works or k9) I currently have a boxxer raised way up to rake it out a little hoping to lower that to 205mm so i was thinking 2 degree cups. Any reasons this is a bad idea and i should go with 1 degree

I was also hoping to get a lower bb height out of it too. How much should i expect it to drop by lowering my fork and 1 or 2 degree cups
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    How much should i expect it to drop by lowering my fork and 1 or 2 degree cups
    Looks like 1cm compared to most external headsets. That's based on an MBR magazine review where they compared a Banshee Rune and a Morewood, both with external and then K9 headset cups. Nice of them to publish before & after BB heights.

FM
    mtbr member

Follow up

Heard back from K9, here's what they had to say:

Changing the head angle by 2 degrees drops the bb by around 4 mm and increases the wheel base by around 24 mm on a DH bike with boxer forks. I imagine that on your Rune it would be around 2.5 mm in the bb and around 17 mm on the wheel base not including the reduced stack height. Reducing the stack height would further drop the bb by another 2 mm and shorten the wheel base by around 3 mm.

So running the ARC does drop the BB and the increase the wheelbase on your bike, but it really depends mainly on the size of the bike and the fork length.
    Also, found this article on pinkbike that has some pictures & comments on installation.
    Looks like a quality product.

If you think you can
    But the main thing you have to check is your headtube length! K9 offers their kit for 3 different length headtubes.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Heard back from K9, here's what they had to say:

I imagine that on your Rune it would be around 2.5 mm in the bb and around 17 mm on the wheel base not including the reduced stack height. Reducing the stack height would further drop the bb by another 2 mm and shorten the wheel base by around 3 mm.

Funny, I was just discussing this combo with a buddy on a ride yesterday. IMO, if I were to get a Rune it would be set up with the K9 cups.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Very cool indeed - I keep forgetting about this method for adjusting HA (My bike has so much HA adjustment built in already....). I love technology.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    IMO, if I were to get a Rune it would be set up with the K9 cups.
    Yeah that's what I'm pondering- guess that's obvious from their reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 62kona
    But the main thing you have to check is your headtube length! K9 offers their kit for 3 different length headtubes.
    I think thats just how it appears. If you go on their website they have a full list of compatiable bikes
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Now figure something out for tapered headtubes

Unfortunately, many manufacturers are going the route of a tapered headtube, which blows for this fix. Most fork manufacturers are onboard, and I think the full 1.5" headtube will go by the wayside once most steerer's convert. It's a good place to shed some weight and still get the full 1.5" lower cup benefits. Fork manufacturers are the hold up. They learned from the full 1.5" steerer tube mistake.

Anyway, my AM bike will have a tapered headtube, and I'd like to use this fix. Too bad So I'll have to go to the ghetto fix, using a 1.5" external lower cup and perhaps get a .5 degree vs. a flush cup. But then it jacks up the handlebar height.

Didn't someone come up with a headset crown race that had an offset? I thought Sam Hill had one back on his Sunday.

If you think you can
    Quote Originally Posted by huntandride
    I think thats just how it appears. If you go on their website they have a full list of compatiable bikes
    But the list of all the bikes have the same 3 length headtubes. The column all the way to the right shows all the different lenghts, and they are all either 4.625, 5.0, or 5.25. So whatever bike you have, as long as it has one of those size headtubes, it should work. Hopefully they will come out with a few more sizes.

Members who have read this thread: 0