Junior-T (170mm) vs Van 36 (160mm)- Mtbr.com
    Go back to school

Junior-T (170mm) vs Van 36 (160mm)

I did some searching and didn't find a like thread so I thought I would make my own.

I have an 05' Giant Faith and currently have the stock Junior-T's installed. My only complaint with this fork is the lack of adjustments. Otherwise the simplicity and triple crown design make for a very formidable fork.

I have been looking to upgrade for a while now and am very partial to Fox Shox. I don't have the $$ for 40's so I was thinking about some 36 Van forks. My concern here is that downgrading to 160mm isn't such a great idea for the harsh drops and rock gardens that I do.

Whats the census?
    Die to ride, ride to die

maker of trail
    I'm wondering if a totem might be a better idea?

Or if on a budget, pick up a used 888

From what I understand the 36 is aimed more at trail/AM riding, if doing FR /DH specific stuff I'd look else where!

mtbr member
    I think you would notice the stiffness, but not sure about the travel. You could also get the internals from a super T and get the adjustments you want. It would be cheaper too.

Go back to school
    tmarkos I was considering something of that nature but wasn't sure if it was possible. I am glad I posted before being talked into those Van 36's.

Should I just call Marzocchi about swapping the internals or what is the best way to go about that?

I considered the Totems for a long time but I have received a lot of mixed reviews. I am one to believe that 180mm of travel really needs that 1.5" steerer or a triple crown. It just scares me.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    can i have the super t if you get rid of it? =)
    Hey, My Picture is Finally of Me!!!

Go back to school
    Well after a call to Marzocchi it sounds like an HSCV cartridge swap would cost me about $200 just for one leg.

Would it be smarter to save some more and put that $200 towards a pair of 888 or 66's?
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I love my 36. Hit 10 foot drops on it and it's never given up on me. And I love my 888. Going with either of those wouldn't be a bad choice. I've never ridden a 66 but if I were to look for another singlecrown that is where i'd start my research.
    I'd huck that...

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair

I considered the Totems for a long time but I have received a lot of mixed reviews. I am one to believe that 180mm of travel really needs that 1.5" steerer or a triple crown. It just scares me.

180mm single crowns with 1 1/8 steertubes are pretty reliable. It's a pretty thick piece of steel A deep-cup headset would add a little more confidence, but really: Why huck to flat?

If you are considering a Van36, a Totem or 66 isn't that much more up a step up size wise. I have a 66rc3, 36rc2 and a Totem solo air, so I have a good idea of all three.

A 36 isn't a DH fork. It's the least inspiring doing so. I love mine on an old Gemini using it as a way overbuilt trailbike and it shines, but as DH fork it gets pushed too far.
    The Solo air is so light and stiff, but sticky in chatter set up at my weight. Much better for my GF, though I have ridden a coil and felt much better. My 66rc3 has had the common issues with all '08s and to their credit, Marzocchi has been good with me on warranty. It's fixed after some trials but it is the best dampened fork of the three. None of the forks offer the lateral stiffness of a dualcrown. Start flamewar......now.

I am 230 in gear running a a 1 1/8th 66 Rc3 with a deep cup 1.5r headset and I have never worried my mere 1 1/8th headtube would snap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesair
    Well after a call to Marzocchi it sounds like an HSCV cartridge swap would cost me about $200 just for one leg.

Would it be smarter to save some more and put that $200 towards a pair of 888 or 66's?

Probably,
    That's a little pricey.

slow reeezay
    I have an 06 faith running 200mm travel Boxxers. Feels great and much slacker for DH duties.

I wouldn't dream of running 160mm travel on it, would ruin the handling of a great bike!

I'd take the step up to 180mm travel and be done with it!

What type of riding do you predominantly do FR or DH??????
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

slow reeezay
    I have an 06 faith running 200mm travel Boxxers. Feels great and much slacker for DH duties.

I wouldn't dream of running 160mm travel on it, would ruin the handling of a great bike!

I'd take the step up to 180mm travel and be done with it!

What type of riding do you predominantly do FR or DH??????
    LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE

2011 On-One 456 Ti

2010 Trek Session 88 custom build

Go back to school
    Well I ordered the HSCV cartridge for my Junior T's. I figure I may get another two years out of them.

I am a fairly aggressive downhill rider. I love techi rock gardens and I'm usually game for a 3-4ft drop.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you need more than a 160mm of travel and the van 36 is ok you have to spend the extra dough to get an RC so you can adjust the compression.

Members who have read this thread: 0