Jumping question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Jumping question

so I'm starting to jump. I built just what is probably about 4 foot semi-kicker with a little gap (maybe 5 or 6 feet) and a short tranny.

Rode it yesterday and landed smoothly, slightly front wheel first on the tranny-barely felt it. fine. But how do you really control the landing and takeoff (rather thanthe jump controlling you more?). I mean, if you get a good jumper, can probably hit it at high speed and control the attitude of the bike in the air, waaaay clear the landing and land down the trail slightly rear wheel first. Is this just a matter of getting more aggressive and pulling up more at the rigth time off the lip?

thanks
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

Glad to Be Alive
    just keep practicing....try different things when you feel more comfortable. Ask some other riders how they do it (hopefully they are better than you or their info will be useless)

remember practice practice practice and ride w/people who are better than you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004

Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    just keep practicing....try different things when you feel more comfortable. Ask some other riders how they do it (hopefully they are better than you or their info will be useless)

remember practice practice practice and ride w/people who are better than you
    At the jump park more. This jump I built at the drop in to one of our trails (I also made sure the track goes around it for those who don't/wont' do it)

anyway, at this time, it's like I only see the lip for a sec and then don't seem to really see or remember anything else until the landing and it's over. Maybe this is a matter of the brain/system getting more used to being in the air, etc?

Juanjo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Maybe this is a matter of the brain/system getting more used to being in the air, etc?
    Air is ur friend.. u have to be carefull with dirt.

Have fun in the air... just try to land safe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    one thing that will really help you, is to get brian lopes/lee McCormack mastering mountain bike skills book,, it has every thing u will ever need to know about dirt jumping, it tells u when to pump, when not to, when to brake, when not to, ect. but as SMT said go riding w/ people who are better than u that can show u , and help u

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    At the jump park more. This jump I built at the drop in to one of our trails (I also made sure the track goes around it for those who don't/wont' do it)

anyway, at this time, it's like I only see the lip for a sec and then don't seem to really see or remember anything else until the landing and it's over. Maybe this is a matter of the brain/system getting more used to being in the air, etc?
    mabye the jump isn't bike enough? jk....

just eventually go slower and slower and pump more and more... this lets you begin to "float" it, giving you more hangtime and control.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    Air is ur friend..
    u have to be carefull with dirt.

Have fun in the air... just try to land safe.
    best lines ever
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

USB Rep'n
    two tips...stay loose all the way through and wait on the takeoff. jumping is really just a glorified bunnyhop off a lip. most people I see struggle (with height and/or distance) are jumping too early. wait on the lip and trust it. by that I mean stay loose and let your bike and body just follow the natural radius of the jump without fighting it. this will keep your weight more neutral and keep you from the dreaded sailor.

as you practice and get more comfortable you can start working on boosting the lip by pulling back harder with a bigger bunnyhop and even preloading before takeoff. work on being comfortable in the air for now and the rest will come. remember, trust the lip!!!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    May 2004

I know exactly what you're saying

Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    mabye the jump isn't bike enough? jk....

just eventually go slower and slower and pump more and more... this lets you begin to "float" it, giving you more hangtime and control.
    I know with correct coil/undwind/pump, one can go really slow.
    Judd (spelling?) Duvall was here a while back and built a jump park for us.
    At another jump area here, he was practicing on some pretty big jumps and going REALLY slow. One really good rider DH'r commented it looked like he was barely moving, yet he was cleaning everything perfectly on his Schwinn Homegrown

kona-tize me captain
    how effective are those books anyways? i never really thought that readin would help out in riding. i more of those go out and try and try till u cant try people. does it help with overall technique?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    two tips...stay loose all the way through and wait on the takeoff. jumping is really just a glorified bunnyhop off a lip. most people I see struggle (with height and/or distance) are jumping too early. wait on the lip and trust it. by that I mean stay loose and let your bike and body just follow the natural radius of the jump without fighting it. this will keep your weight more neutral and keep you from the dreaded sailor.

as you practice and get more comfortable you can start working on boosting the lip by pulling back harder with a bigger bunnyhop and even preloading before takeoff. work on being comfortable in the air for now and the rest will come. remember, trust the lip!!!!!
    good advice. i think i know what you're talking about. be patient. sometimes when i screw up, it's because i tried to do too much too soon. when i do it right, i just relax and go with it, and pull up after i'm going off the lip, but not too soon.

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    one thing that will really help you, is to get brian lopes/lee McCormack mastering mountain bike skills book,, it has every thing u will ever need to know about dirt jumping, it tells u when to pump, when not to, when to brake, when not to, ect. but as SMT said go riding w/ people who are better than u that can show u , and help u
    I'll second this bigtime. I am reading the book now and it has helped my jumping a lot! Most of the mountain bike technique book are WAAAY to basic and don't really tell you anything useful. The Lopes/McCormack book is awesome and so worth it. You can get it for less than $20 on amazon.com too. Check it out!!!! You will not regret it.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte

an easy way to stay loose is to exhale before you take off of the lip.....