Jumping, getting there (video), advice thx- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Jumping, getting there (video), advice thx

first off thanks to forum for helping me get my downhill bike

love it

i wasted the first month of owning the downhill bike getting the strength to ride it uphill, hehe, its brutal having to ride a downhill bike up 1500 to 2000ft vertical at first, but I'm doing it easy now.

anyways i been mountain biking for 6 months now, and I'm starting to feel confident, looking to take some bigger jumps (steeper lips, longer distance).

video isn't the greatest angle, distance of jump is actually about 7 feet.

what can I be doing better?

biking is fun
    it doesnt look like you are preloading your suspension or your body even for the jump. it looks like you are just riding fast over a jump and getting air from that.

Try compressing your suspension (both front and rear equally) as you are starting up the lip and as you are about to leave the lip then decompress.

Also you should be trying to land with both wheels hitting at the same time. for flatish landings its not as big of a deal but later when you try to land on steeper transitions you will want to land equally or you could potentially loop out.

once you can do those well then you can start trying to preload your suspension equally and pull the front up first and when its off the ground a bit you can then pop the rear wheel up to match the front. I believe its called a J-hop. this will give you more pop and height. You will need to master that for really lippy style jumps so you can level out in the air. You can practice that by doing it in the street on flat ground. just pull the front wheel up, lean back and pop the rear up hard as you start to lean back forward the bike will level out in the air.

Moose Member
    just practice. Repetition. Try adding new things. Preloading is a good thing to work on.

when i started out with small jumps i used to try to turn my bars as far as i could, then bring them back before i land. It taught me just how much time i had in the air, and to focus in the air.

seriously though, just practice. repitition. is that jump close to your house? If not i'd advise somehow making a similar jump at your house (out of wood, dirt, whatever) just so you can hit it a lot. I had a small jump by my house that i'd session everyday after school. It helped way more than i thought it would.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok cool

I can j-hop a bike with no suspension, but on a downhill bike like im riding it eats so much energy that I can't really j-hop it at all (maybe get the front 6 inches up and the rear one inch)

i can definitely get more pop than I got in that video though, will try again. Just cautious of going over the handlebars, just trying to progress more safely, already been over the handlebars twice in months one and two, and broken fingers in month 4.

so you saying on the steeper lips I will have to consciously pop the rear, and then shift weight forward right after take off? or the bike will never level out and I will pretty much land on my back?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post

so you saying on the steeper lips I will have to consciously pop the rear, and then shift weight forward right after take off? or the bike will never level out and I will pretty much land on my back?
    Yes you will have to pop off the lip. by the time you are hitting large lippy jumps though hopefully you will have made it second nature so you won't have to concentrate that much on it.

If you hit a big lippy jump your bike will not even out on its own. you will need to pop enough to not only level out your bike but let you be able to push the nose down into the transition of the hopefully steep landing. The part that will come with practice is deciding how much pop for a given lip/landing so you can land smoothly.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Jump Tips

I'm not the best jumper, but I have learned a lot in the past 5 years. Definitely, repetition is crucial. If I haven't jumped in a week or more, I have to warm-up on smaller jumps to get the feel back. A big mistake I made in the beginning was shifting my weight back too far and loading the rear suspension more than the front coming off the take-off of a jump. Don't do this because it will throw you over the bars. Make sure your suspension spring rate is balanced between the front and rear. This concept is explained well in Simon Lawton's instructional video "ride like a pro". Keep your weight centered over the bottom bracket. Turning the bars a bit in the air helps to relax your upper body. The coaches at Whistler Bike Park use the acronym CPR ( Crouch-Preload-Release) when teaching jumps. Again, the "ride like a pro" video talks about "squashing" jumps and "boosting" jumps which are advanced jumping techniques. Speed is a key component of jumping. You want to determine the right speed so you don't come up short or overshoot the landing. If you're wanting to try a new jump...it's good to watch someone familiar with the jump and possibly follow that person to get the right speed. However, be careful, because the person you're following may have a much lighter or heavier bike which will change the distance you travel at the same speed. I made that unfortunate mistake once, overshooting the landing by a mile. Armor up for those inevitable events. Hope this helps!

Michigan Wolverine
    I'm no expert on jumping a DH bike, but I've hit my fair share of jumps on BMX tracks. To me it looks like you are uncomfortable, stiff, and not confident. Confidence will come with more success, but until then try to loosen up a bit and have fun!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    I'm no expert on jumping a DH bike, but I've hit my fair share of jumps on BMX tracks. To me it looks like you are uncomfortable, stiff, and not confident. Confidence will come with more success, but until then try to loosen up a bit and have fun!
    right on observance

he is very stiff

find someone better then you to ride with...and then ask for tips.......is that Point Dume in the background???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2011
    no the piece jutting out is looking south from santa monica mtns

so its palos verdes / hermosa / manhattan beach you are looking at in the distance

that was the most clear day I have ever seen up there, I could see orange county cities that day, unheard of......

btw I am already jumping +3 feet more distance and +1 feet more height from advice on this forum, so thx

here is the whole trail pretty much I rode on sunday. the 2nd half I had never been on before so was going extra cautious as I had no idea what was coming next.

I mounted the camera very well this time, this new hero2 I just got, much better video quality than hero 1 in my opinion, and side helmet mount also much better than visor mount in my opinion

Los Angeles Mountain biking capri hybrid - YouTube

(switch video to 720p in youtube for more detail of course)
    Last edited by jasonjm; 01-24-2012 at 02:46 AM.

~Disc~Golf~
    build Janky Jumps! -
    (seriously, don't - Moose got by fine - but the next?)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Glad to Be Alive
    no

btw I am already jumping +3 feet more distance and +1 feet more height from advice on this forum, so thx
    se)
    awesome....just keep the passion
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC3 View Post
    ... the person you're following may have a much lighter or heavier bike which will change the distance you travel at the same speed.
    Umm. ?

Once something leaves the ground, its path of motion is dictated by the speed of the object, the angle of travel, and the acceleration due to gravity. Rotational energy from the wheels and drag come into play, but not enough to drastically change flight. I am guessing someone absorbed some of the jump in order to not get as much pop, and you popped off it send you out into the flats

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I realized I didn't understand jumping at all after watching this video a few weeks ago (which you have all probably seen)

[MTB]freeride downhill - YouTube

go to 1min 52 seconds to 2 min 00

watch all 3 riders hit the same place at the same speed and look at the different results

i was like wtf? its not even much of a slope at all but the 3rd rider goes flying

mtbr member
    I realized I didn't understand jumping at all after watching this video a few weeks ago (which you have all probably seen)

[MTB]freeride downhill - YouTube

go to 1min 52 seconds to 2 min 00

watch all 3 riders hit the same place at the same speed and look at the different results

i was like wtf? its not even much of a slope at all but the 3rd rider goes flying
    It's all about what you want to accomplish. The first two, were attempting, or accomplished, staying low, absorbing the jump and keeping the back tire essentially on the platform by absorbing the bike and keeping everything low. Their speed was slightly faster over and through the jump, even though they were going the same as they hit the jump. The third guy, used the lip, compression/decompression, to launch off the lip to get massive air. His speed, while the same hitting the lip, slowed as he was in the air, mainly because he was going more vertical opposed to going horizontal that the other two did.

Look at bike racing, downhill, or BMX and watch them go over jumps, they are staying on the ground as much as possible and using the back side of the jump to increase forward speed, while absorbing the jumps by tucking the bike into their bodies as they go over the jumps.

I use to do this all the time on my BMX bike when riding around goofing off. I could hit the smallest of bumps, or curbs, and get huge air, due to popping off the lip. When racing, I would stay low, to increase speed.

Of course there is exceptions, a long spaced out double jump that is jump-able for example, it might be faster to jump in a flatter trajectory and hit the back side of the second one which will increase your speed than it is to manual over the front lip, tuck the bike, and keep pedaling to the next one and repeat.

Cool video.

the discerning hooligan
    There's a good instuctional vid from Decline/fluidride?DeclineMagazine.com, Internet Mountain Biking's Information Downhill Trail

edit...wrong vid, I linked "drops" but the jumps segment is right there'
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    build Janky Jumps! -
    (seriously, don't - Moose got by fine - but the next?)
    Yea we got lucky. fun times....

just for old times sake:

Jumping, getting there (video), advice thx-janky-14.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    There's a good instuctional vid from Decline/fluidride?DeclineMagazine.com, Internet Mountain Biking's Information Downhill Trail

edit...wrong vid, I linked "drops" but the jumps segment is right there'
    Good video, looks like that site is close to being dead though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by db09jku View Post
    Good video, looks like that site is close to being dead though.
    You can order the full DVD straight from Fluidride.
    Fluidride Fluidride: Like a Pro DVD

Worth the price.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    May 2011
    or here even better

instant and cheaper

Amazon.com: Fluidride Like A Pro: N/A: Amazon Instant Video

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Yep, you're riding stiff-legged. Need to loosen up. Cycle your suspension a couple times on the approach and stay loose. Looks like you preloaded a little bit on the jump. Increase that motion. Suck up the tranny and release (pop) at the lip and you'll fly. Once airborne, pull your legs up, and then extend them for landing. Absorb the landing with your knees.

Ride, Jump, Pray, Land
    You look like you need to loosen up a lot. go with the flow and ride your bike rather than being a passenger.

mtbr member
    I have found, that while in the air, I stay in more control if I do something. It doesn't have to be much, but a little turn of the handlebars, a little lean, a little kick of the rear out a bit, something. I got this from my BMX days, but have found that I it works for me with my limited experience in MB'ing.

Any videos out there on doing a nose manual down a hill? Saw that on a youtube video, it was awesome!

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by db09jku View Post
    I
    Any videos out there on doing a nose manual down a hill? Saw that on a youtube video, it was awesome!
    Maybe Ryan Leach?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i have to agree on the preload but the type of jump it is is mellow. try getting further over the bars and landing both wheels at the same time or even the front wheel just a bit sooner then the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    awesome....just keep the passion
    X2! Nice improvements!!!

Moose Member
    Keep up the work man! Just keep on the bike and have fun! Just as proof that you will improve fast, heres me in my first few weeks on my first DH bike:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vrMxPLr65Eo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this from a month or so ago:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/34365454?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

And keep in mind that my recent video is of a local hill. The riding is no where near the biggest stuff i've hit. Just stay on yer bike and improvement and confidence (a certain amount) will come naturally.