jumping- Mtbr.com

Thread: jumping

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

jumping

ok so im finally going to put some stiff springs in my 04 888rt, but i was wondering if the extra stiffness would be good or bad for jumping. it seems like it would be good because it would be harder and not just eat the smallere jumps, but i kinda want to make sure

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by heggler9
    ok so im finally going to put some stiff springs in my 04 888rt, but i was wondering if the extra stiffness would be good or bad for jumping. it seems like it would be good because it would be harder and not just eat the smallere jumps, but i kinda want to make sure
    a stiffer spring will most likely help you on djs

Yo Paseo El Scream
    ya he's right, but if you really want to get into dj, buy a single crown
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker
    ya he's right, but if you really want to get into dj, buy a single crown
    ya the weight will kill you, you dont need a 888rc for dirt jumping strictly

Yo Paseo El Scream
    ya, but he said he has a 888rt, which has no adj. if im right, but my friend has a rc and it's adj. are awesome, and you can get it really stiff, so just (if you do have 888rc) and you will only dj a little stiffen up the compression and speed up the rebound
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

mtbr member
    Guys, C'mon. Yes a stiffer fork will jump better and no the weight will not be an issue. look at a DJ3 (2004 ) those things were like 8 pounds, and they are made for DJ ing. so you are wrong there. Otherwise, i want to laugh at where this thread goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Guys, C'mon. Yes a stiffer fork will jump better and no the weight will not be an issue. look at a DJ3 (2004 ) those things were like 8 pounds, and they are made for DJ ing. so you are wrong there. Otherwise, i want to laugh at where this thread goes.
    the 04 dj3 sucks, 8 pounds and like 100mm of travel or whatever it has...total waste. Since when was weight not an issue, im trying hard as hell to shave some pounds of my banshee, the lighter it is the more air you get, unless you take momentum into consideration

gnar, brah
    You really don't need much more than 100mm for dirt jumping. That is why the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper forks only have 100mm of travel. The weight is just pure burlyness. When I do that kind of riding I dial my Psylo (certainly not a DJ fork, but great for all-around) down to about 100-110mm of travel. More travel doesn't necessarilly mean a better fork, and rarely does. Anyway, the 888 is pure overkill for a DJ fork. If I were to buy a fork for DJ, and DJ alone, right now it would be the Manitou Stance Static. Freeride durability, shorter travel, cheap, and stiff enough for DJ.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    You really don't need much more than 100mm for dirt jumping. That is why the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper forks only have 100mm of travel. The weight is just pure burlyness. When I do that kind of riding I dial my Psylo (certainly not a DJ fork, but great for all-around) down to about 100-110mm of travel. More travel doesn't necessarilly mean a better fork, and rarely does. Anyway, the 888 is pure overkill for a DJ fork. If I were to buy a fork for DJ, and DJ alone, right now it would be the Manitou Stance Static. Freeride durability, shorter travel, cheap, and stiff enough for DJ.
    im not saying that, i ran 100mm before my 03 dirt jumper on my dj rig, i think thats perfect for dj. its just my super t with 170mm of travel weighs that much, it might just be me but I'm under the impression that lighter is always better, 100mm to 8 lbs is the last thing id go with if it were up to me

gnar, brah
    I agree - the Dirt Jumper is way too heavy. I thought about buying one, but 8 lbs. scared me away. So my good experiences with the Psylo on my XC/AM bike convinced me to put one on my Urban/DJ hardtail. They are set up differently, obviously. Together they weigh as much as a Dirt Jumper. I'm not a weight weenie, but, uhh, yeah.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i only do a little dj and am looking to build a hardtail for it, but the 888 is all I have for now, since its on my ollie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by heggler9
    i only do a little dj and am looking to build a hardtail for it, but the 888 is all I have for now, since its on my ollie
    Some people lack basic comprehension skills, don't mind them. You were clear enough in your original post. You will be totally fine on the DJ's with a 888, tweak the springs and oil to your liking and give'r. Keep in mind that if you only do a little DJ and mostly trail/FR: if you stiffen your fork up a lot for DJing, it may not feel very good on the trail...might be fine depending on what you do, but something to keep in mind...The RT is pretty harsh on the trail to begin with.

Sweet bike choice, BTW