Jr T adjustments ? (OEM 2003 model)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Jr T adjustments ? (OEM 2003 model)

I have an 03 Jr t that came off a BigHit. It came with a rod for adjusting the rebound - but it has a pre-load adjuster on the right leg and a schrader valve for positive air on the left leg.
    So no way to get the adjusting rod past the two leg caps - is this because it is an OEM?

I set the pre-load at about half and ran the amount of air that was suggested for my weight in the left leg (the manual had weight=psi scale). Did about 12 miles of urban on Sunday -
    2-4 foot jumps, stairs and parking garages etc... Felt good. The air pressue makes it nice
    and stiff. It did not seem to pack up on the stairs.

What gives regarding the rod and the rebound adjustments - am I just outta luck?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

POP the caps...

and follow these simple instructions...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Former Noob Herder
    there are two different adjustable rebound versions for this fork; some have a knob on the lower leg, others require you to remove the topcap and insert the rod into the fork to make the adjustment.

edit: damn Red beat me to it with fancy graphics and all....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. that's my problem...

I can;t remove the top caps because the right leg has the pre-load adjuster knob and the left leg has the schrader valve. I looked on the bottom of the fork last night and they do not look like they are adjustable. Sorry I can't post a pic...

I wonder if since it is OEM fork they rod was thrown in just because but that it would not be needed. I do have adjustability with the preload and positive air. Instructions for both of those adjustments are also in the manual and the illustrations for them are accurate. Interesting regarding the air adjustment is that it is only on one leg. The manual seems to imply that you should have air adjustments on both legs - going so far as to say '...be sure to use the same pressure in each leg...'

So it is like I have a one legged air and a one legged preload - again fork seemed fine during the first ride.

Are there other forks that use air only on one side and some type of adjustment on the other side??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    I can;t remove the top caps because the right leg has the pre-load adjuster knob and the left leg has the schrader valve. I looked on the bottom of the fork last night and they do not look like they are adjustable. Sorry I can't post a pic...
    You can still remove the top caps. You should probably take the adjuster off (grub screw in the side of it) and remove the plug from the air cap, let the air out, and use a socket wrench to remove the cap. Unless I am missing some big reason why those are locked on. You probably should loosen up the top crown before you do this as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

seem slike alot to just get ....

Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire
    You can still remove the top caps. You should probably take the adjuster off (grub screw in the side of it) and remove the plug from the air cap, let the air out, and use a socket wrench to remove the cap. Unless I am missing some big reason why those are locked on. You probably should loosen up the top crown before you do this as well.
    Good point on removing the top caps - I wonder if on the air side would how would the air cartridge be inside the fork leg - when I remove the cap and would that also remove the air cartridge and allow me access to the rebound?

Then on the side with pre-load after I remove the grub screw and the cap will the preload adjuster be attached to the underside of the cap also?

Would all that work be worth it? Most reviews I have read about the rebouond adjustabilioty showed luttle improvement if any at all....

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire

Yeah, what he said. Remove the preload adjuster nob, then use a 21 mm socket to pull off the cap. I'm thinkin the rebound is in the right leg only. Pull out both springs, washers, etc. When you stick that white rod down in there, you probably wont feel it "hook up" ( for lack of better terms) with anything, but it is. Make sure when you put the preload adjuster nob back on, that grub screw is on super tight, losing the preload adj. nob will really piss you off, they run around 20 bucks each... WHAT A SCAM!!!! And when in doubt, or you just plain don't feel like ruining your fork from listening to a bunch of trolos on this board go straight to the source, they're far more knowledgeable and just plain nicer than any of us..(661) 257-6630 ask for tech support, no your call won't be re-routed to India.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MVRIDER
    Yeah, what he said. Remove the preload adjuster nob, then use a 21 mm socket to pull off the cap. I'm thinkin the rebound is in the right leg only. Pull out both springs, washers, etc. When you stick that white rod down in there, you probably wont feel it "hook up" ( for lack of better terms) with anything, but it is. Make sure when you put the preload adjuster nob back on, that grub screw is on super tight, losing the preload adj. nob will really piss you off, they run around 20 bucks each... WHAT A SCAM!!!! And when in doubt, or you just plain don't feel like ruining your fork from listening to a bunch of trolos on this board go straight to the source, they're far more knowledgeable and just plain nicer than any of us..(661) 257-6630 ask for tech support, no your call won't be re-routed to India.
    Good idea going straight to Zochi - I've had good experience with them in the past - both with phone and emailed questions.

I'm thinking for now it is the LAZY side of me in not wanting to go through all that removal
    to make the adjustemnts. I'm also alittle concerned about the fact that the adjuster rod is
    plastic - I would hate to strip anything with the rebound adjuster. I think that is plastic as
    well so it would probably be right.

I could sleep at night if there was some mention in the manual about '... your fork may have a preload on one leg and positive air on the other...'

For kicks I asked my LBS (very good shop by the way) they thought that since specialized is a huge OEM user that Marzocchi built the Jr T with some odd adjustments vs an off the shelf peice. I looked on-line under OEM forks and did not find much info on Marzochhi's site.....

DOes any one else with a Specialized supplied Jr T have the same set up?

Absurd
    Good idea going straight to Zochi - I've had good experience with them in the past - both with phone and emailed questions.

I'm thinking for now it is the LAZY side of me in not wanting to go through all that removal
    to make the adjustemnts. I'm also alittle concerned about the fact that the adjuster rod is
    plastic - I would hate to strip anything with the rebound adjuster. I think that is plastic as
    well so it would probably be right.

I could sleep at night if there was some mention in the manual about '... your fork may have a preload on one leg and positive air on the other...'

For kicks I asked my LBS (very good shop by the way) they thought that since specialized is a huge OEM user that Marzocchi built the Jr T with some odd adjustments vs an off the shelf peice. I looked on-line under OEM forks and did not find much info on Marzochhi's site.....

DOes any one else with a Specialized supplied Jr T have the same set up?
    I would'nt worry too much about the plastic rod stripping any thing, it doesn't really catch on anything, the first time I did it I called Marz a couple of times, because I thought I was missing something. It almost feels like the rod is just freely spinning. You should also go out and buy some 7.5 weight oil before you get into it, just be ready to add some. I can almost guarantee that it will be low on oil.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've never heard of a Junior T coming with a air preload cap as stock are you sure the previous owner did'nt modifie it? because it's a well known after market and also the internal rebound adjustment is in both legs

mtbr member
    Good point on removing the top caps - I wonder if on the air side would how would the air cartridge be inside the fork leg - when I remove the cap and would that also remove the air cartridge and allow me access to the rebound?

Then on the side with pre-load after I remove the grub screw and the cap will the preload adjuster be attached to the underside of the cap also?

Would all that work be worth it? Most reviews I have read about the rebouond adjustabilioty showed luttle improvement if any at all....
    There is no "air catridge." The air is just in the fork where the spring would be. You will open the top and find an empty tube with some oil in it. At the bottom you will find the plastic "source of all JrT problems" damper. This peice is not connected to the top cap. In fact, nothing is connected to the top cap.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

03 Big Hit Expert...

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO
    I've never heard of a Junior T coming with a air preload cap as stock are you sure the previous owner did'nt modifie it? because it's a well known after market and also the internal rebound adjustment is in both legs
    Came with the air preload as part of the stock spec, per Specialized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

THAT'S THE way it came from factory..

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO
    I'm sure no one modified it - I bought a brand new 03 BigHit last year and took the Jr T off right out of the box. I put it in a closet until I could build my next bike. Never really looked it over just left it wrapped and safely put away. Well last week I built my new ride and I pulled the Jr T out for the first time since last year. Literally brand new still had the decal
    covers on etc...

So it is the way it came from Specialized on a 03 BigHit Expert. That is why I am kinda' baffled by the set up. I either figure it to be a mid-year change or some special arrangement between Specialized and Marzocchi. When you look at the specs that Specialized provides for the 03 model they only mention adjustable rebound. No mention in the Specialized specs about preload or air adjust.

In a way I am happy to have the preload and especially the positive air - that alone made a huge difference in how the fork handled and felt.

Maybe I just got 'lucky' and got a Jr T with some special Zochi dust sprinkled on it?

Still looking for any other BigHit owners that can maybe collaborate my story....

I've got a Stiffee
    My '03 BH Expert had the air preload on the left side upper cap also. I sold it and got an '04 Super T....feels much better

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Yep...

special arrangement between Specialized and Marzocchi.
    Still looking for any other BigHit owners that can maybe collaborate my story....
    you summed it up right there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Probably upgrade later ... FXRob what about ...

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    you summed it up right there.
    I agree with an upgrade - I run a Shiver on my other BigHit and love it. But this project was all about saving ca$h while doing a decent build. So the Jr t will have to stay for awhile longer.

FXRob - Thanks for confirming that your 03 bigHit had positive air on the left side
    Did it also have the preload knob on the right?

Thanks!

I've got a Stiffee

FXRob - Thanks for confirming that your 03 bigHit had positive air on the left side
    Did it also have the preload knob on the right?

Thanks!
    Yep, preload on the right side. I actually took one of the springs out on the left side since the fork was too stiff for my weight and ran a little air preload to get it just right for me. With the Super T the stock springs feel perfect for me.