Journey to the LAnd of Pirates- Mtbr.com
    Xtremely Moderate

Journey to the LAnd of Pirates

As stated in other posts.......the journey is over.........the deed is done......... the mission has been accomplished.

It was a dusty, greasey, booze-filled, sweaty, slightly bloody & gatorade drenched 3 day adventure that has left me tired, sore, purple in places and minus a little skin.

Its all good though, cuz I wouldn't change a minute of it.

The peeps down here in Kentucky...errr I mean Alabama......err I mean West Virginia....errr I mean Georgia (eff you WCH ), pride themselves on "Southern Hospitality" but in reality, they've got nothing on West Coast hospitality. Everyone I met and that we rode with was ultra-mega kewl, friendly and down to earth.

Ironically, I'm the only one that actually looks like a pirate though.

Special propzors to SMT, WCH, Hozzer, Sriracha and others from this forum whom I know I'm forgetting, that showed up to ride and hang out. They are without a doubt a bunch of world-class dewds and damn good riders.

If anyone else on here gets the chance to ride with these SoCali boyz, I suggest you snatch it up. No egos, no BS....just face value guys who like to ride and have a good time.

And finally, double-special-secret propzors to SMT for having me out. Hozzer was right......SMT almost sickened me with his hospitality (and almost killed me with his driving ).

Shiver is a good a guy, a great rider, and a somewhat comical but very motivating coach (.... "I want you to practice putting your hands in the air and go Yeah! after you hit this".... ).

Thanks for the lessons and tips Bob..... they were actually very helpful brotha.

Recap:

6/23 - The arrival.
    After a pleasant rush hour drive on the 405, I was greeted with beers, tequila, and Mexican cuisine. Much drinking ensued, followed by a buzzed up mechanic session in which I tried to put my bike back together. Next time I do it sober.

6/24 - Day 1 ride (2 runs at an undisclosed location)
    Trial by fire for sure. I was very humbled but also very inspired watching these guys hit stuff that was pretty intimidating to me. No big hits or air for me but I did pretty well on the 1st run and only walked 1 or 2 sections that kinda had me spooked. I managed to clean (although sketchily) the Man-Eater chute on my 1st attempt.
    The 2nd run however, kicked my ass. Man-eater dumped me on my head in the brush and I was sending up dust clouds from hitting the ground 2 or 3 times after that. I blew it on a pretty routine rock drop and then I just dumped the bike in a pretty vanilla rock garden. The bulk of my boo-boos came from this shytty run down the hill and unfortunately this kinda got into my head later on. Ended the day with a swim, Advil, booze and some damn good sushi.

6/25 - Tunnel & Cold Springs
    After getting beat the day the before, I wasn't sure what to expect. The "ride" to the top didn't put me at ease either (ha ha ha Bob). Tunnel was 1st up on the menu and was a pretty grueling 4-6 mile?, jack-hammer, pinball ricochet trip to the bottom........I dug it. Although about 50 yards into the 1st rocky section, my pedal snagged up and I went OTB onto my neck. But that was par for the course as just about everyone, even the great WCH, was picking themselves up off the ground quite a few times. Tunnel & Cold Springs were just what the doctor ordered, as I was able to take my time and pick my lines down the mountain. About half way down I really started to feel comfortable and dialed but also tired. Cold Springs was more of the same but a little more mellow and flowy. Ended the day with more Advil, booze and a big plate of cow.

6/26 - Day 3 rides (undisclosed local stuff in the morning and another trail near Malibu in the evening)
    Day 3 - fatigue and mental angish start to set in. Hit some more local shizz that was very similar to day 1 but this time with more techy than big-hit. Skill wise I felt a lot better but I was being a little paranoid and selective about what I was going to hit due to my day 1 beating. SMT put an end to it and yelled at me when I tried to walk a somewhat pansy-ish rock drop and made me hit it........2x. I'm glad he did though, cuz I felt a lot better afterward. Finished up the morning on Hummingbird. Next......beer & a short but well deserved snooze.......although its hard to sleep soundly with a joker like SMT lurking about. In the evening we hit a trail up near Malibu, and needless to say we were all just about spent. But hey, why not do another 6 mile pounding with uphill climbs when your arms are about to fall off? A couple of beers, some Tommy's grub and stick a fork in me, I'm fycking done. Oh wait! I gotta tear down my rig and pack it up @ 10pm...........ARGGGGGGGGGGH!

Highlights:
    - Bob's head wound for pouncing on me.
    - Watching the WCH show as he very casually hit stuff I will never be able or willing to attempt.
    - SMT TRYING to sucker me into rolling the WOD and then watching him do it.
    - Beer.....lots of beer.
    - Tunnel. I really like that trail.
    - Beer.....lots of beer.

Lowlights:
    - Knowing what SMT looks like in the raw after he streaked us in the Rocky Nook parking lot. I am now psychologically damaged for life.
    - SMT's delusions that he is actually Mario Andretti.

Once again....thanks to all, I had a great time...........I'll be back again.

If you guys ever find yourself Kentucky...errr I mean Alabama......err I mean West Virginia....errr I mean Georgia (eff you again WCH )........me casa es su casa.

Only a few pics as we elected to ride instead of play Photo-John:
    1. WCH going big as usual.
    2. Same jump from above
    3. Me getting small as usual.
    4. Post ride clownery. (SMT's pee-pee is actual much smaller than that)
    5. Kings of...........something - SMT & WCH
    6. View from top of Cold Springs
    7. SMT marking the territory.
    8. Trail head at (blank)
    9. Josh watching SMT spew more non-sense
    10. Pirates Cove
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Xtremely Moderate
    Continued.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    dang thats awsome... and those mountains are just frickin huge

Glad to Be Alive
    man we took it easy on you with the driving...if I would have known you would have complained so much i would have went faster...sheesh we went triple with out you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    man we took it easy on you with the driving...if I would have known you would have complained so much i would have went faster...sheesh we went triple with out you
    This is why I complained:

Someday you will understand when you have your own.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Freakin' bunch of whackos!...But looks like a bunch of fun with some good folks. What better is there in life than riding, hanging out, and partying with good riding buds. As they say, "It don't get no better than this".

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o

wow...when can I "visit" ???...you were in safe hands at all time except Hozzer driving
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Mar 2005
    e < i > o....

...way to lay down the guilt trip photo.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

Juanjo
    NICE man... really .

LUCKYYYYYYYYYY...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

surf-ride-repeat
    Good stuff EIO!

Very cool...

glad to see ya made it back in one piece with the same liver you left home with.

That's awesome.

Uhhhhh...

Wwhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Atleast your wifeys hot though.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wow...when can I "visit" ???...you were in safe hands at all time except Hozzer driving
    I was never ever as "careful" as I am now. Every decision I make puts them into consideration 1st. Including things like, "do I really need to jump off this rock?" or "do I let this guy drive like a nut with me in the car?".

Like I told you, my head gets in the way of my ability and my clan is the main reason for that.

You watch what happens to Hozzer when the bambino comes along. Mark my words.

Now put away the lotion Mr. Freaky!

Glad to Be Alive
    I was never ever as "careful" as I am now. Every decision I make puts them into consideration 1st. Including things like, "do I really need to jump off this rock?" or "do I let this guy drive like a nut with me in the car?".

Like I told you, my head gets in the way of my ability and my clan is the main reason for that.

You watch what happens to Hozzer when the bambino comes along. Mark my words.

Now put away the lotion Mr. Freaky!
    no lotion for me...saving myself for tonight

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Shame I wasn't there....

Konabiker reporting live via 02 wireless internet from Dublin, Ireland.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Shame I wasn't there....

Konabiker reporting live via 02 wireless internet from Dublin, Ireland.

send some pics....and some bar pics too

mtbr member

possibly the best most....

informative and entertaining post on this forum for a long time. Looks like your guys had a cool time, great to see members hooking up and riding. Those trails look the business. If i can get my butt out of the south pacific ocean and up to the left coast i'll definitely give you guys a call. Great stuff
    Extracting stings from wasps in flight.

Team Sanchez
    So tell me Holmes, how's the VP Free treating you? Are you running a 5th on there?

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    So tell me Holmes, how's the VP Free treating you? Are you running a 5th on there?
    Really great. So great in fact my wife has one waiting to be built.
    I'm really glad I bought it and had it for this trip. I think this trip finally ended the getting aquainted period as its only about the 4th or 5th serious ride I've done on it.

The ride down Tunnel would've been much tougher on the Chaparral. The longer wheel base was definate plus on the rocks & steeps. Although those tight switchbacks were a little harder to negotiate I think.

Yep. Runnin' the 5th on it with a little softer than recommend setup. I still think the DHX is a better feeling shock, but I am satisfied enough with the 5th that there's no reason to switch it out.

I still think the VPF needs a taller fork than the Super T for pure DH like we were doing, but then again I'm doing more trail riding than anythng else down here in the GA so the T is fine.

I might put that Supa T on my wife's VPF and get a 7" 888 for myself. I dunno.

dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Man I am so sad that I missed out on all of this riding. Nice pics. Where has Alloy been? He didn't come out at all?
    Throw it down NASTY.

Lolligagger
    Hey SMT! How did you guys manage to bypass the "guardpost" in those first few pics?

I thought that was shut down.

not really a noob
    nice pics
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Wadsworth McStackton
    Hey SMT! How did you guys manage to bypass the "guardpost" in those first few pics?

I thought that was shut down.

have bolt cutters will travel

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    Man I am so sad that I missed out on all of this riding. Nice pics. Where has Alloy been? He didn't come out at all?

Alloy is MIA...but now he has a cell #

dnt b a clwn thro it down
    MIA? No way. I would have never thought that he would get a cell phone.
    Throw it down NASTY.

mtbr member

photo shop?

hey shiver, if you zoom in on that pic of you pissing at the top of G, you can almost read the "F#ck Bob" scratched in the rock. you ever catch the [email protected]$$ that did that?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    hey shiver, if you zoom in on that pic of you pissing at the top of G, you can almost read the "F#ck Bob" scratched in the rock. you ever catch the [email protected]$$ that did that?

nah...who cares...when you think about it

mtbr member
    wow, quite the sedate response from you. have a few beers and angry up a bit, then get back to me

yo! - i heard that the trail next to your favorite is now being watched with a guard tower and patrol. any truth to that rumor?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown
    wow, quite the sedate response from you. have a few beers and angry up a bit, then get back to me

yo! - i heard that the trail next to your favorite is now being watched with a guard tower and patrol. any truth to that rumor?
    nah not worth the time or going to jail ...doesn't bother me at all....kind of like a plaque to whoever put it there to their own stupidness....I mean,... all the time I put into the trail this year and last year and the year before and you ride there and complain about me and then you write that?? Pretty stupid

yes guard shack is there
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 06-29-2005 at 02:24 PM.

mtbr member

I can totally relate...

Most of my ridin' bros are usually single or w/o kids. I've become a better rider but more importantly a smarter rider after wife/kids. Especially after breaking my ankle a few years back at Sea Otter and my wife had to mow the lawn by herself!!
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Granny
    Continued.......
    SMT almost sickened me with his hospitality (and almost killed me with his driving ).

I've ridden in the 805 when I'm up there for work, and SMT his crew are some down to earth dudes that just like to ride. Cool write-up and pictures.

Bob,
    Get your ass down to SD..