Jedi 12mm QuickRelease- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jedi 12mm QuickRelease

I have a 2010 Canfield Bros Jedi and I dread every time I have to remove the rear wheel because it is such a hassle dealing with the axle for some reason. I've never had this kind of trouble before. It's hard to get it out and hard to get it in. Maybe it's because I'm doing it on a stand? Idk? It tends to bind and loosening the pinch bolt is necessary of course but doesn't seem to make much difference after a certain point.

So I was wondering if I could install some kind of quick release Maxle type axle or if the frame has to be built to suit from the get go. With the quick release at least I would have more to hold on to and wouldn't have a tool in my hand at the same time. I'm thinking that it's still going to be a pain but maybe a little less or a pain.

Any generic quick release 12mm X 150mm axles out there?

Or does anyone have a trick to deal with the Jedi axle? If it was chamfered on the end at least going back in might be easier.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I sorta test-fitted a Maxle on my 2011 Jedi... it was a 135er from my AM bike, but I did confirm that the threads are the same and the flipper end would fit nicely.

However, I don't know that it would really help much... During that little experiment I realized that I'd still have to tighten the pinch bolt, and if I'm gonna need one hex wrench to remove the axle then two hex wrenches is almost no extra trouble.

To get tool-less I think you'd need to weld up the pinch side somehow, so that the maxle has a solid set of threads to go into. Maybe you get get close enough with permanent Loctite, but I dunno (there's a red flavor that requires a torch to break free after it sets).

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Try flipping the bike over and setting it on the seat/handlebars. This way you can wiggle the wheel while the frame stays in place. Makes it much easier to line up the axle/hub/chainstay.

Also, go to the smallest rear cog (8/9) to make sure you have the least amount of chain tension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIDE View Post
    Try flipping the bike over and setting it on the seat/handlebars. This way you can wiggle the wheel while the frame stays in place. Makes it much easier to line up the axle/hub/chainstay.

Also, go to the smallest rear cog (8/9) to make sure you have the least amount of chain tension.
    I am always in the small cog but I'll try upside down next time. Thanks.

I'm probably going to end up with some kind of quick release even if I have to make or modify something.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.