Jamis Diablo Sizing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Jamis Diablo Sizing?

hey everyone. I have gotten the green light to get a Jamis Diablo 1.0 off Jamis but am a bit shy about the purchase. I like to test ride a bike before buying and there aren't any bike shops around with downhill style bikes, not to mention they aren't made anymore. I have an inseam of 32 and I am 6' Tall 145- 150ish. What size would you guys/gals suggest. I was thinking the 17.5 but I have never been on this style bike. JensonUSA still has 15.5, 17.5, and 19.5 sizes.

I am trying to get more into freeride type riding with a bit of downhill so I think this would be a good buy. Then again there is always another great sale right around the corner somewhere.

mtbr member
    i am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and my diablo was a small (15.5). If your going to be doing downhill and freeride i would definately go with the 17.5..
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    If you are going to be riding more FR, Then DH...keep in mind the low BB on the diablo. How old r u...will you grow taller. I am 6 2 and my friends 17.5 is too small. But if you wanna whip it around off jumps, then smaller is better. If you are doing a lot of DH then the low BB will kill it! (as in shred the gnar)!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am 27 so I may actually start to shrink soon (c: I will be doing more freeride than DH. A group of us goes up the Sugar Mtn Once a year but other than that Clemson Freeride, FATS, and whatever I build in the back yard, is what I ride. I have an XC bike but I am seriously worried about the frame on drops. Then again I am not looking to do more than 3 - 4' drops so I still am on the fence about this purchase.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    I think the diablo is more DH oriented with it's geo....can anyone correct me...? you may want to explore another option for a FR bike.

But i guess that depends on your idea of what FR is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you guys make some suggestions for the 1,300$ range? Something that will hold up to downhill but more geared toward freeride. I know a lot of people suggest preowned but in this category it makes me very nervous.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    i think the diablo will suit you just fine. i raced downhill and rode a bit of freeride on my diablo and it is a great all around bike. go for it, you wont be disappointed for the price...
    Mongoose, Division 26, SixSixOne, Oakley, Efinger Sporting Goods.

mtbr member
    17.5 for sure. 15.5 will feel really small and cramped.

The Diablo 1.0 is a great solid platform to start on, and will serve well as a beginner/intermediate rig as well as a very upgradeable one when you advance your level of riding.

Mkrobert, as far as I know, the Diablo series was designed to be a bike that excels in both DH and FR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    LOL Mkrobert had me doubting. I just can't find much information on its performance. And that is a great price.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

freeride jerk
    i am about 6' 2" and i have a 19.5 inch frame. I do alot of downhill as well as alot of freeride, and i think the geo is awesome for both. And the frame fits me perfectly. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone.
    SHANTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Tj I am 6' Would you suggest the 17.5 or 19.5? I would want to be able to maneuver well on it but seriously don't want it to be to small.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

freeride jerk
    its kind of a personal choice. Some people like to have smaller bikes so they can manuever and toss it around more easily. I myself like to have a bike thats not going to cramp me and has a little more room for me. My 19.5, to me, feels perfect i huck it, jump it, and fly DH with it just fine. I would probably say go for the 19.5.
    SHANTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the advice Tj. I have a Large 2003 GT i-drive that has me a bit jaded due to the seat tube height. This is one of the reasons I am looking for another bike for jumps and such. The bloody seat on the GT keeps popping me in the leg or worse. Although I love my GT for XC and climbs.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

freeride jerk
    Ya the 19.5 should suit you well. If you get the chance try and talk to someone at jamis and get there input on sizing. Just to be on the safe side.
    SHANTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    One more question for you Tj Pope. How does it climb.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

I party.
    Sep 2007
    I can answer the climbing question, as I also own a diablo. Since you are coming off of a xc bike, be prepared for a much higher level of difficulty in climbs. Despite that though, it climbs pretty decently for a big bike, and can ascend just about anything, as long as you are up to it. So it climbs pretty well, but more than makes up for it when you go downhill and off drops. Just make sure you adjust the rear shock accordingly, as it will make a big difference. Also, the stock manitou fork is pretty lame, so, you might want to consider replacing it as you get better.
    bikes:
    White Transition Blindside
    Yellow Transition ToP

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    get a vp free when they come out. higher bb better all around fr geometry. still can ride full on DH with it and it will climb better than the Diablo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    mkrober81 One of the only reasons for my interests to be sparked with the Diablo is the price. I knew I wanted the type of bike but can't afford normal prices. I have and 18 month and 3 month old at home so money is tight. I want the Diablo but even with the great price I am struggling hardcore. It's one of those, " I don't need it now but can foresee needing it later." type things.

Bad thing is Jenson only has 31 left in stock. So if I don't decide one way or the other i'm going to have my decision made for me. On the one hand that bike looks great but then again I just built up a GT IDrive that can handle what I ride now. It just isn't as maneuverable as I might like in certain situations.

So I have been sitting here at work going back and forth with the decision instead of working on this damn catalog layout, and my wife is saying " I told you already your going to buy it, so suck it up and make the purchase." and yet this little guy on my shoulder saying " You sure man? Are you really sure?"

Driving me crazy. Just don't want to kick myself later for the decision I make.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

check your six
    I have a 19.5" Diablo. I am only 5'11, but my arms are long. So the 19.5 fits me perfectly. In fact, I was 100% impressed how it felt once I built it up. I started by just buying the 2.0 frame on the cheap and went from there. So, I had no idea how the bike would even feel once built. I threw on the 07' 888, a set of outlaws, a set of Saints, and now I love it! I ride mostly freeride, but also do some DH, when I find some.,,,. The bike excells in the big hucks and is a solid platform. I say go for the 19.5", but as said before, it is personal feel more so than the size of the bike.

Here is a pic of her,....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

freeride jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I have a 19.5" Diablo. I am only 5'11, but my arms are long. So the 19.5 fits me perfectly. In fact, I was 100% impressed how it felt once I built it up. I started by just buying the 2.0 frame on the cheap and went from there. So, I had no idea how the bike would even feel once built. I threw on the 07' 888, a set of outlaws, a set of Saints, and now I love it! I ride mostly freeride, but also do some DH, when I find some.,,,. The bike excells in the big hucks and is a solid platform. I say go for the 19.5", but as said before, it is personal feel more so than the size of the bike.

Man you built her up nicley sodak. Im still workin on mine...hopefully soon ill be gettin a fox 40 or a 07 888 sl ata on her soon.
    heres a pic of mine now..
    SHANTY

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    Okay.....just buy the thing already! Sell your old ride! then you are all set....don't worry about the low BB...Just put a large fron fork with a tall A2C ratio and it should rake it out and make the BB a little higher. As for being able to climb. Don't worry about it! It will make you stronger! and in turn, a better rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    (c: lol I like your way of thinking minus the sell my old rig. She is my baby and I can't give her up lol Plus she suits the terrain close by home.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    go for it! what is money for....spending....you can't spend it when you're dead right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Pow! trigger pulled. I got the 17.5. I have gotten mixed suggestions but the deciding factor was the fact that the 17.5 is the most popular size so they would run out of those quicker. If I don't like this size I can return and buy the 19.5. I have been wanting to try a size down anyway, I am just glad JensonUSA has a good return policy.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I have a 19.5" Diablo. I am only 5'11, but my arms are long.

you got that right.... you do have Looooooooooong arms. ya freak, I've seen apes with shorter arms than you.

I still think that bike is waaaaaaay too big for ya and you might as well be riding a hard tail the way you have it set up. I don't know, maybe it's the 10/15 years I have on ya.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

freeride jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamline.by.design
    Pow! trigger pulled. I got the 17.5. I have gotten mixed suggestions but the deciding factor was the fact that the 17.5 is the most popular size so they would run out of those quicker. If I don't like this size I can return and buy the 19.5. I have been wanting to try a size down anyway, I am just glad JensonUSA has a good return policy.
    Welcome to the diablo club!!!! lol post pics when you get her man.
    SHANTY

Members who have read this thread: 0