I've got $450 to spend and I can't think for myself - which parts take priority?- Mtbr.com
    beautiful jackass

I've got $450 to spend and I can't think for myself - which parts take priority?

I've got a 2006 Preston FR and $450.00 to spend on my bike. I realize that's not a huge chunk of change but I figure I should be able to make a difference with it. My goal is to lighten my ride without compromising too much strength. Except for my forks, all parts are about four years old.

I do mostly aggressive trail riding, and I like to hit big drops and jumps when I come to them. I don't go too big, but I need gear that can handle drops between six and ten feet high.

I weigh about 200 pounds fully geared up.

Major stuff currently on my bike that I'd like to switch out over time:

Fork: 2005 Marzocchi Z1 FR III
    Wheels: Sun DoubleTracks | Shimano 525 Rear hub | Specialized front hub
    Brakes: Hayes HFX-9
    Crankset: Truvativ Holzfeller

I've considered placing new wheels as a priority, since the Doubletracks are so damned heavy and probably excessively burly for my style. I saw some SingleTracks here with XT hubs for $140.00.

I've also considered the Transition wheelset but I'm not sure if the weight savings are considerable over the Doubletracks. If I do choose the Transition set, should I choose 32mm or 36mm rims? What's the difference?

If I decide on another component, I need to replace my current freehub body on my rear wheel, as it is currently out of commission.

Can I get some opinions? I seem to be leaning heavily toward new wheels but I can probably be swayed if there is a better option.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Wheels sound like a priority to me... People seem to like the Transition wheels. I'm pretty sure the 32/36 also means spoke count...

But when I saw you're still rocking the Hayes 9's, I would encourage you to get a real brakeset! Shimano Saint's will change the feel of your bike for the better. You should be able to pick up the current models for a good price now since there's a new 4-piston design coming out. Trust me, you'll thank me on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

moaaar shimz
    If you want to lighten things up, rotational weight reduction will be the best upgrade (wheelset), nevertheless If I wanted a performance upgrade I would change the brakes.

The Beaver
    I would go for performance over weight, but they can be accomplished at the same time.

Brakes- juicy 7's- http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/cat...b0tls1ms0ogl15

Fork- I have had that fork and it is SICK, keep it.

Cranks/BB-shimano XT (this will give you abour 3/4 of a pound in noticeable weight)

That's you budget... you could upgrade small parts with the left over coin... seat post/stem/bars etc.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Bike Hustler
    Go for that wheelset... these guys are right, rotational weight is a difference you can feel in every aspect of bike handling, especially in the air.

Secondly get rid of those brakes ASAP. Juicy 7's.
    SHAM-WOW

beautiful jackass
    I would love to be able to do wheels and brakes. I found some 2007 Avid Juicy 7 front and rear discs on sale for $285.00 for both.

That leaves $165.00, which unfortunately isn't enough for a decent set of wheels. But it does give me a good starting point for a new wheelset. I didn't realize how damned expensive wheels were until I really started looking. Even with my original budget price I'd be hard pressed to not compromise too much on a wheel.

The Singletracks seem okay but I also see a lot of negativity surrounding them and the Transition wheels are probably about as heavy as the Doubeltracks.

I figure I can save that remaining $165.00 and unless someone has a better idea, put it toward the Easton AM Havoc wheelset for $550.00. That's only $385.00 I'd have to save.

In the meantime, I can buy a new freehub body, fix up my haggard Doubletracks, and keep riding them until I have enough for the Eastons.
    Last edited by one incredible donkey; 05-10-2008 at 04:15 PM.

moaaar shimz
    They are ripping you off man, call/email Chad at Red Barn Bicycles and he will give you a good deal on Juicy 7 or even better, Magura Louises.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Wheels sound like a priority to me... :
    rolling weight is the best to cut.....got to go for new wheelset
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    rolling weight is the best to cut.....got to go for new wheelset
    agreed. drop it all on wheels.

beautiful jackass
    I flip-flop, flip-flop.

It sucks not being rich

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Definitely the wheels. XT/Singletrack are little light if you still want to be doing the bigger drops (I know how good the preston can huck despite being a short-travel bike). Transitions are the better option; 32's should suffice.

Next stop is brakes. I'm going to rattle some cages and come out and say that I I've ridden the deores, 4-pot XT's, and saints, and haven't noticed that much difference in stopping power, especially not compared to the advantage you get by simply upsizing the rotor an inch. Shimano claims a 20% increase in power with the monobody design but I thought they were only marginally better (I'm a fat guy though). You'd be amazed at the power increase you can get by simply cleaning your rotors and pads w/rubbing alcohol if you haven't in a while. You should be able to get a set of deores for well under 200; afaik they fit Hayes rotors.

If you have any cash left over, treat yourself to a set of smooth, light pedals.

Alternate/future upgrade could be a Pike if you're concerned about weight.

Living the High Life
    Why not Outlaws for a wheelset? They're lighter than Transitions and more durable than Singletracks. If you want to save money, skip the J-7s and get J-5s. Outlaws are $260 at Pricepoint right now, and J-5s are $100-110 (depending on rotor size). That's $460-480 for new brakes and wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    J5s and Outlaws. Sounds good to me.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    If you cant think for yurself, think for me, I need a new bike anyway.

mtbr member
    If you want to stretch your dollar more. Just get one CODE 5 for the front. I just bought a set of Code 5's and I haven't put the rear one on yet. I am still using the HFX-9 HD on the rear. I have never had any issues with my Hayes.

The Azonic Outlaws are not light wheels IMO. I just built up a set of Hope Pro2/ DT 5.1 wheels. They are a pound lighter than the outlaws. But the cost close to $600.
    Maybe you can find a lighter wheelset on bicyclewheelwarehouse.com

XT cranksets are light. I just put one on my wife's bike. Good upgrade.
    $150 at chainreaction. Free shippping on orders over $300.
    Gravity lights if you have 83mm BB.

Here's a good deal on a custom Hope Pro2 wheelset. Some options are extra!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=7599

Living the High Life
    Wheels and brakes for less than $500, you can't beat that Get the Outlaws and J-5s

mtbr member
    Bwaaahahaa, classic

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwehahaha
    Fork- I have had that fork and it is SICK, keep it.
    The Z1 FR3 uses dual SSV. It's garbage.

The Outlaw rims are Supra D rims - reasonably light... listed weight is 588g or something along those lines. Have some recorded weights of just over 600g. The hub is heavy though.

beautiful jackass
    For the Juicy 5 vs. the Juicy 7, is the only difference the pad contact knob adjuster on the handle of the 7?

Edit - also, the Azonic Outlaws look like a good deal, but I see them compared to Singletracks in some reviews. Are they really on the same level as Singletracks?

Also, I'm not sure of the weight of my Doubletracks, but I imagine the Outlaws will be lighter, right?

Thanks for all the words so far, it's very helpful in increasing my indecision
    Last edited by one incredible donkey; 05-11-2008 at 05:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    sure the hayes brakes suck compared to a lot of whats out there on the market but they stop you. and unless the way they work is really really bugging you then toss all that money on a new wheelset. nothing beats the feel of nice light and stiff wheels.

Meh.
    The Doubletrack rims weigh like 850g. The Shimano hub is no lightweight either.

The only difference between the J5 and J7 is the knob. The knob does not affect the position of the pads, only the amount of throw required before engaging.

≈ > ♥
    I say get a decent quality rear hub before anything else. Relace your rear wheel, and ride the hoops you have till they die. Then replace with something lighter.
    Maybe a Hope rear, and get your Juicy 5 or 7s with the leftover cash.
    Or a King? Buy used to save some cash?

Or lace Syncros DS28s to a Hope rear, and keep your SpecialEd front. Would be a light and strong wheelset.

A quality hub is something you'll appreciate every ride. And can swap from frame to frame for a long time if you maintain it...

Big Test Icycles
    Universal Cycle has the outlaws for $269 - 10% which takes it down to $242. This leaves tou with about $200 to play with. If you look hard enough you can find Juicy 7 brakes on the web for about $130 a set. This sounds like a good deal. The wheels are on backorder but that changes fast with UC. Just keep watching the site.

Members who have read this thread: 0