Ironhorse VS Norco (Downhill)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Ironhorse VS Norco (Downhill)

i have narowed it down to these 2 bikes. all i need to do now is get advice on which one is better for DH. I apreciate any help.

- Ironhorse 2007 Sunday Expert 19" ($2,999.00 AU)
    http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/SundayExpert.html

- Norco 2007 Atomik "ENTRY LEVEL DH BIKE" ($2,195.00 AU)
    http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/Mount...view=1&deets=1

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sunday for racing, Sunday for all around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    they uhh....they have pretty different specs...not really in the same class, ones coming with an 888 and the other is coming with a droppoff. one is also 800 more than the other, its hard to compare that, the sunday is for sure going to be alot nicer, but the norco is alot cheaper

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Man too bad the sunday has pink and a fox vanilla. Iron horse is sligh for putting emo pink on there cheapest model.
    Petition to bring power rangers season 1 to dvd box set
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/prseasonset

Thats not a picture of me
    yah you probably want to level up with the norco, its probably a stronger bike (you'll never notice it) and also i really like norco so you should buy one no im kidding

the iron horse is 800 more but it has an 888, hate to say it but id go with the iron horse-ive never ridden one but you will find out quickly from talking to people that have that its probably one of the fastest, best handling, and overal best downhill oriented bike out there. Id stick with norco for freeride though, or go to the team dh or some higher model for dh-but if it was between these two in particular the iron horse (also if i had the cash )

p.s-norco has a super t rv not a drop off
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't see why people like Norcos.

From an engineering standpoint, they're a mess.

Every one I've ever ridden has been a total pig. Although, strong like a pig I guess.

The Super T on there, is deceiving. Pretty much a Jr. T with some extra adjustments. Nothing close to the old SuperT.
    Marzocchi can be a real shady biotch when it comes to marketing their crappy bike parts.

crumb
    sunday no question
    ETBW
    Magura

i dont race myn so i dont know what i'd think of dh'ing with one. i dont like the new team dh with the hole in between the top tube and headtube conjunction. I just wouldnt trust it. But i still plan on riding norco next year but im looking for the older 2004 4by (if i can find one in new condition)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When I saw the Atomik was expecting the Yakuza Kumicho, since they have similar specs, but I guess not. If you have the money, spend it! The Sunday is definitely a really nice bike. But then again, are you able to give each of those bikes a test ride before you buy them?

I personally love the pink/black color - it doesn't look as shitty as it does in the picture, believe me.

N* Bomber Crew
    You're picking your poison with that choice if you ask me...

I honestly don't like the Sunday. The Bottom Bracket feels way too low for me and for some reason the geometry of the Sunday makes me sluggish riding it at lower speeds. I know a lot of people like them, but I don't think they're as good as people make them out to be.

I have absolutely no information on the Norco, sorry.

If you HAVE to choose between the two, the Sunday might be a better choice component wise.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Iam a big norco fan but I'd have to say go with the Sunday on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

i drink shower water
    sunday
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    sunday kicks ass

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hate to follow the herd but......Sunday.

mtbr member
    dident norco copy the specialized fsr suspension design.

they do license it from specialized yes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sunday for sure.
    I have an SGS World Cup Iron Horse and it rocks. Iron Horse builds great bikes. However, think about changing the pink!

Bike Ninja |||
    It hurts to say it (i really don't like sundays)
    but in this case you NEED to get the sunday if those are your only two options. if you got the norco i would feel bad that i didn't try to persuade you otherwise. the sunday is a much better bike in every respect.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My vote is for the Norco. Sundays fall apart if ridden hard and often (pivots get wallowed out and need to be shimmed with washers), and the bottom bracket is too low for technical riding. Norcos are built for the Shore and Whistler, so they rule on steep nasty terrain and are some of the toughest bikes made. I see tons of Norcos in the lift lines at Whistler, but rarely ever see an Iron Horse.

The forks have the same RV valving, making their performance pretty much the same. Upgrading to an 888 rc2x / fox 40rc2 / boxxer wc would be money well spent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I see tons of Norcos in the lift lines at Whistler, but rarely ever see an Iron Horse.

iron horse is not popular in canada. norco is extremly popular in canada. when i go biking around my house in the river valley is see close to 5-10 norcos. but ive never seen an iron horse around my house the only place ive ever seen them in canada (besides my bike) was at silver star. this year ive seen about 150+ norcos and 4 iron horse here in canada. in the us i think iron horse is more popular than norco.

i drink shower water
    i cant believe that sunday comes with a vanilla.. you would think they would put a 5.0 on it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

General Rabble-Rouser
    I would have to recommend the Norco. the Sunday is pure-bred race machine. Very long and low, so it's really not going to be as much fun in the technical and slower freeride trails.

Why not find a Norco A-line? It's spec'd great, and it should be the same price as the Sunday. It'll be a whole lot more versatile in the long run

dosnt chng titls...o wait
    Jul 2007
    if you got that kinda cash go with the sunday. personally i freekin hate, HATE the floating seat suspension. the dw link is definatly a better suspension choice.
    tubes hate me

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    My vote is for the Norco. Sundays fall apart if ridden hard and often (pivots get wallowed out and need to be shimmed with washers), and the bottom bracket is too low for technical riding..
    The norco's will actually wallow out quicker then the iron horses will if maintained exactly the same.

the norco in question (atomik) is a lower grade aluminum then the sunday, and has less material around it's pivot bearing locations. also, the bearings are of higher caliber on a sunday then on the atomik. The sunday has more going on in it's linkage then the norco, so people who do not maintain them properly will obviously get play in them.

i personally hate the norco geometry. way to steep of a head angle, tall bb and overall cramped cockpit (tt length). the sunday is a better bike then the norco imo (the demo is still better then both )

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by yoboe
    if you got that kinda cash go with the sunday. personally i freekin hate, HATE the floating seat suspension. the dw link is definatly a better suspension choice.

Floating seat suspension how come my demo doesn't have a floating seat? imagine how much weight that would save not having a seatpost!!!

i dont know where it states the frame material on the iron horse site, but the grade of aluminum is probably higher so they could use less material thus keep it lighter (im guessing its made of 7005 which is also more brittle than 6061) if you want to talk about material lets talk about which one has more headtube material? seatstay? dropout?, the norco wins and the tubing is probably thicker as well(im going to assume the norco is heavier than the sunday), needless to say neither is a featherweight-but norcos are tanks, and for freeride id rather be on the atomik

lolz

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    Floating seat suspension how come my demo doesn't have a floating seat? imagine how much weight that would save not having a seatpost!!!

interrupted seat tubes just mean you have to pay special attention to sizing your bike

Who needs to jack their seat height to take the DH race machine on an XC voyage anyway

Members who have read this thread: 2