Ironhorse vs. Kona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ironhorse vs. Kona

I am just getting into FR and some DH and I was just wondering which would be better for a beginner.
    I have never had a dual suspension bike so it's all new to me.
    I still want to be able to pedal around or at least be light enough to push back up the hill because I won't be at a park with chairlift very often.
    The bikes that I were thinking of are the Ironhorse Yakuza Kumicho and the Kona Stinky, both are 08'.
    Feel free to suggest any other bikes.
    My budget is about AU$2500.

Thanks

mtbr member
    If you want a bike that is relativily pedal friendly, go for the stinky. I have an 08 and it was my first dual freeride/downhill bike to. The spec on both both bikes is relativily the same, and the forks are the same internally aside from the fact that the iron horse has dual crown forks and the stinky has single crown forks, which is great for both DH and FR, whereas Dual crown forks are more solely for DH and full on FR, i.e. not that great if you intend to ride it everywhere. The Stinky is a suprisingly good pedaling bike. Ignore people who say they are **** even though they have never ridden one in there life. I assume your in Australia, if so i would buy the stinky from the bike shed mortdale, they have the cheapest price i can find, and save the extra $200 dollars and invest in a new rear shock. A fox DHX 3 or 5 matches with the stinky nicely. Once the shock is upgraded, the stinky will last ya forever. PS were are u based?

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Are you planning on doing only dh/freeride, If you think you might be riding up the hill more than lifting or shuttling I think you might be a bit better off with a kona coiler or ironhorse 6 point.

Brackish
    I've owned a Kumicho and several Konas, the Konas are by far more versatile and a better choice for FH & Dh. The Kumicho will shine for you only if you are looking to do sport-class DH races and bike park DH only, it's pedaling qualities are...piggy at best and the geometry is too race oriented for FR.

StraightOuttaCompton
    the kumicho is a good starter for dh. it is a pain in the ass to go anywhere but down.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    If you want a bike that is relativily pedal friendly, go for the stinky. I have an 08 and it was my first dual freeride/downhill bike to. The spec on both both bikes is relativily the same, and the forks are the same internally aside from the fact that the iron horse has dual crown forks and the stinky has single crown forks, which is great for both DH and FR, whereas Dual crown forks are more solely for DH and full on FR, i.e. not that great if you intend to ride it everywhere. The Stinky is a suprisingly good pedaling bike. Ignore people who say they are **** even though they have never ridden one in there life. I assume your in Australia, if so i would buy the stinky from the bike shed mortdale, they have the cheapest price i can find, and save the extra $200 dollars and invest in a new rear shock. A fox DHX 3 or 5 matches with the stinky nicely. Once the shock is upgraded, the stinky will last ya forever. PS were are u based?
    I am based about halfway between Sydney and Wollongong in Helensburgh (only a tiny town).
    PS. The stinky is $50 cheaper. It used to be $300 cheaper but it must have gone up.
    PPS. How about a Norco 6 3???

If you think you can
    What about a used 7point? Mine is pretty heavy, but still very good pedaler and very good for freeride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i agree with 62kona my 07 7.5 is awsome and it was dirt cheep 900$ lightly used!! im shure you can find a deal like that if you just look around carefully. the kona's are great bikes too but i dont think that you will be able to find a good one that fits in ur range. by spending the small amount of money i did on my bike i am able to transform and replace all the components and get a new front fork. the only problem is that this modle will be heavier than a kona just like 62kona said

mtbr member
    go with the kona my friend. i have ridden both bikes, and I have a stinky. I think it's much more versatile; I do dh, fr, and all sorts of regular trails.
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    what if i bought an 08' kona and changed the forks to some 36's which ones, i don't really know though.
    How about a norco six three???

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Go with the stinky, more versatile. The IH is not really a beginners machine, and its a Dowhiller really. The stinky is easier to pedal. But if youre a beginner and you want something you can pedal around too, go with a shorter travel bike, say 140, 150 or 160mm.
    Check out the kona coiler, it used to be their flagship freerider. Its a great bike and can be taken on trails and around town etc as well as down pretty damn hefty terrain. Not much you cant do on it, within reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    norco 6 3?????

Brackish
    No personal experience with Norco, but the Canadians love 'em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I ride a Coilair, and some of our other guides have Stinkys. Cant rate them enough. The stinky would handle anything you could throw at it, but if you want to be able to pedal, definately consider a Coilair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    another vote for the kona.

Really i'm just going by brand here, IH just pulled out of the high end mountain bike line and is moving to crappy sporting retail chains. Support is going down the tubes, and I'd rather buy into a company that has a damn good record of fine fine support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    another vote for the kona.

Really i'm just going by brand here, IH just pulled out of the high end mountain bike line and is moving to crappy sporting retail chains. Support is going down the tubes, and I'd rather buy into a company that has a damn good record of fine fine support.
    So would getting a
    IH 6.4 at the moment be stupid???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    depends on your location, they're relatively inexpensive and ride great, and they're still supporting parts in theory, but given they have no local distributers, and they're not making the bikes, parts, and are leaving the high end market....

I probably wouldn't buy one. Your call

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is this a good deal?
    I am only small, about 5'3".
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2008-Giant-Reign-XO-MTB-Size-Large-Pick-up-Sydney_W0QQitemZ190264916044QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em190264916044&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3 A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318
    It says large but in the picture it says 18" and the brakes are Juicy sevens instead of elixirs.
    I have a giant Thermo 2 (rainier) and it says 19".
    Would this bike be alright???
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What do you think of an 06-07 coiler.
    Are they heavy?

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermo2
    What do you think of an 06-07 coiler.
    Are they heavy?
    They come in around 35lbs. Thats not particularly light, but not dh monster heavy. Should be just fine. Weight does coincide with strength to an extent. There are lighter freeriders out there, but they are not made for dh. The coiler should suit you fine untill you feel you need to upgrade. If you get a chance to try one out do that first.

mtbr member
    down with kona
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    Basically, youre a beginner, you want to try freeride and some dh with pedalling capability to get up the hill again.
    Getting a downhill specific bike would be a very bad idea then, since they have dh geometry and cannot climb well. So you need a tough all rounder. The coiler is that tough all rounder, you wont go wrong. Watch the nwd videos to see what they can do

mtbr member
    So would getting a
    IH 6.4 at the moment be stupid???
    6.4's are a steal right now at RS cycles. They run small for their sizes and have the same rear triangle as the 7 points so they're plenty strong. IMHO it would be smart to look at as IH has no intentions of slacking off on customer service just because they don't go thru independent dealers anymore! It's not like RS or Performance Cycles are gonna hang up on you!!! They have plenty of parts and IH already has their lineup in place for '09 with the DW links still.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    I did a lot of research before I bought my Stinky and the only reason I went with the Stinky over the Coiler for my FR rig is that I weigh 250 and I already have a 5" XC/AM bike. Even at my weight if I was only going to have one bike it would have been the Coiler. At 5'3" I doubt that you weigh that much so I would seriously look at a Coiler. I have seen vid of people doing some sick stuff on them and they are not too heavy to have to point uphill. Just my $.02
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

mtbr member
    id definitely say go with a kona. ive tried both and kona seem to be better quality. iron horse bikes seem to have a lot of issues unless you buy the sunday. kona also seems to put better parts on their bikes
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.-Ferris Bueller

maker of trail
    norco 6 3?????
    The six is an "AM" bike, recon the geo is probably a bit steep for DH, it will still work and they pedal well though.

Its a good bike, I just don't like the interrupted seat tube, you have to have a scoping seat post if you want to go from dh mode to pedaling mode with out changing out the post...

StraightOuttaCompton
    konas are sturdy. i see old ones, like 03s and 04s at northstar all the time with some crazy dude who rips on it al the time. they are built to last and ironhorses need maintenence. believe me, i ride one
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Members who have read this thread: 0