Ironhorse Ojiki or Mongoose Black diamond Double?- Mtbr.com
    Ammar
    Jul 2006

Ironhorse Ojiki or Mongoose Black diamond Double?

I'm deciding between two bikes. The ojiki, or the Black Diamond Double. Both are very nice bikes, but which one can take more abuse

P.S.--Please don't hate on Mongoose, and make a fair suggestion, based on part spec, price, and overall quality, not on the brand of the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    the ojikas can probably be had for cheaper, its a solid frame with decent parts. it has much upgradeability.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    i would say the frames have the same durability. but the mongoose comes with 30mm more travel on the fork. the ojiki is $1700 the mongoose is $2000. The mongoose is loaded with pivot points while the ojiki is a single pivot which would maybe make it more strong. mongoose says the black dimond frame has 7.5" of travel and iron horse says the ojiki has 7" of travel. I dont think you would be able to tell the difference of 0.5" of travel. The mongoose has a better fork than the ojiki. i like the rear shock on the ojiki better its a fox vanilla i like it because its coil but most people would like the fox dhx 3.0 air on the mongoose better. they each have a X7 rear derailer. the ojiki has funn bar and stem which i realy like. i have an aniki which uses the same frame as the ojiki and it is far more durable than i need it. overall i would recomend the ojiki. you can always upgrade the fork. but if you are doing some climbing i highly recommend the ojiki its has 2 front chainrings while the mongoose only has one. I would say for style the ojiki wins by miles. the ojiki is ugly in the website because they show the 15" that has a straight top tube. when you see the 17 or 19 you will like it 100 more with the bent bar.

http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/YakuzaOjiki.html

http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail..._US&brandID=76

dontcha?
    I like the mongoose better.. stupid good deal..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    thanks guys, how bout the overall bike? Which one is better

40 oz to freedom
    Personally I think the Mongoose is the better choice. Because of the linkage it will probably pedal better, and it is speced out really nicely. You cant go wrong with either but I would get the mongoose if I were you.

Shop *****
    Mongoose is about 400x better than the Ojiki... IH is known for cracking frames. Sure they refund/give you new parts for free, but that doesn't excuse the fact that their frames break easly.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

moaaar shimz
    Iron Horse frames last very long, I dont know where you get that shiat of cracking frames... the only frame I've seen broken is a Maverick that was used for downhill...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yea there is no way I would be able to crack my IH...the thing is burly.

Shop *****
    I've heard multiple stores of Kumichos, Sohon Buchos, Anikis, Warriors, etc... Breaking at the chainstays..
    But, the Sunday and 7Point series seem to be pretty solid, along with this generation of the Kumichos and Anikis... yet to hear anything really bad about this year, but 05 and 06 was terrible...

moaaar shimz
    Oh yes, I've heard about Warriors but they were user fault, Kumincho stories I've heard turned out to be all BS, and a friend rocks a Aniki with no problems.

Shop *****
    Sweet. That's really turned me on to a new Kumicho... I love the parts spec for the money, but I heard horror stories about the Kumichos' chainstays snapping..

EastBaySteez
    I would go mongoose. Before I got my 7point I almost went there myself.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Sweet. That's really turned me on to a new Kumicho... I love the parts spec for the money, but I heard horror stories about the Kumichos' chainstays snapping..
    my boss snapped his iron horse sunday swing arm
    GETOFFTHEBRAKESYAFAIRY

attending to my vices
    I vote mongoose. I think that you will notice the .5" of travel and the performance of the DHX air shock. The quality and travel of the Domain 318. Also, the mongoose will most likely pedal better and quite importantly, be more active under breaking. I personally like the 1.5" steerer too.

Mongoose! I like how it looks more as well.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

Ricky DH
    If it were up to me, I'd go with the Mongoose. Just my opinion, right or wrong.

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbnick
    my boss snapped his iron horse sunday swing arm
    So did Hekki Hall A pro E13 rider from CO now he rides his other sunday and a Yakuza type r. So Iron horse breaking swing arms is kinda a rare sight.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    alright, thnks everybody, I found a sweet deal on a 2006 Mongoose Black Diamond Double, $1560-brand new. Can't beat that. I didnt go with the 07, because I dont like the feel of air shocks, thks guys!!

When in doubt, go faster
    Get the Iron Horse.

mtbr member
    how about this deal for a mongoose black diamond single

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...icycle+06.aspx

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get the mongoose, the suspension design pedals really well and the parts are better.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebryce
    how about this deal for a mongoose black diamond single

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...icycle+06.aspx
    Hayes Sole, Drop Off 3, Metel RP. Not so good for 1200. Better off with a 7point.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Iron Horse Sucks. I work at performance bicycles which is the largest IH dealer. All of our maintenance racks are filled with broken Ironhorses of all types. Their dual chianring sucks because the deraillieur will git the swing arm ont he 7 point. I own an ironhorse and i never wished i bought it. Funny thing is i own a mongoose black diamond and i love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Go with the goose

Go with the Mongoose
    On that note I have one for sell. Its the Tripple and not the single or double.
    Great deal.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=6113&cat=500

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbben10
    Iron Horse Sucks. I work at performance bicycles which is the largest IH dealer. All of our maintenance racks are filled with broken Ironhorses of all types. Their dual chianring sucks because the deraillieur will git the swing arm ont he 7 point. I own an ironhorse and i never wished i bought it. Funny thing is i own a mongoose black diamond and i love it.
    Funny thing...

When in doubt, go faster
    probobly cause you guys dont know how to assemble them correctly.

mtbr member
    my ironhorse is always breaking down because it was assembled by crack addicts. but all the problems were with the components not the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    First off we assembole them correctly IH makes them all shitty and we actually trade parts off of GT's that were recalled to make the IH better. The problem is they put bad parts on it and have a nad frame geo for the parts they pu on it and the linkages and frames crack real easy. We dont make the frames, just put the handle bar on the stem and the front wheel ont he fork and tighten everything then put the pedals on. Then we adjust everything. Building bikes is easy. IH makes their bikes not strong. The onyl ones that are are the sunday's, 7 points (when converted to a single chianring up front), azures, and MKIII. and yet they still have more problems. Mongoose is way better

mtbr member
    if you trade parts off gt's that means it has nothing to do with the frame because parts from gt frames should not work with a IH frame. and theres no way mongoose is better than iron horse mongoose sells at zellers which is a store worse than wal-mart in canada. mongoose does not have any top of the line bikes there most expensive bikes is only $3000. your the only person ive ever heard give a negative comment about iron horse. mongoose has not been a company making high end bikes all the time just more affordable boring bikes. So has ironhorse in the past been known for boring bikes but today ironhorse has changed ever since dw-link.

mtbr member
    and im not saying mongoose sucks the black diamond triple is like one of my favorite bikes and i would probably get one because it is a good price but ironhorse does make better bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Once again the only bikes i would get from IH are the DW-link ones. The yakuza and all the rest break everywhere. The only thing wrong with 7 point is the front derailliuer on some of them hit the swing arm but its an easy fix. I would love to get a sunday for downhil but i believe that the mongoose beats ironhorse in the freeride category. Mongoose uses the GT I-drive system and renamed it the Freedrive system. GT's linkage is the best to get rid of pedal bob. It also has better specs then the 7 points and its a hell of a lot lighter. And also GT components like cassettes are also compatible with nay frame. the only thing you have to be weary of is the shifting ratios. We usually switch over warranty bike parts to the new bikes that go on the floor to sell so that the poepl wont come in with a broken warrior and we lose money on it. I would love to have a sunday for te downhill bike, Its obviously winning all the World cups these days. but for freeride I would go with mongoose. And i would go with mongoose over any non DW-link IH.

mtbr member
    i agree the mongoose is better than any single pivot ironhorse and the mongoose has alot better components than the ojiki. i would go with the mongoose the ojiki is and amazing deal but the mongoose is an AMAZING deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh i know. The mongoose is also 39 pounds where as most of the ironhorses are up around 45 to 46 pounds. For a downhill bike I dont know if i would go with the ECD and drop 3000 for an amazing bike or drop 5000 for the Sunday and know im riding a world cup winning bike. i would really have to decide at that point.

mtbr member
    the heaviest iron horse is 43.7 pounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Based on what?
    In the store we have a scale and the inrohorse 7 point all stock came in at 45 pounds. No IH cracks under 40 pounds though

mtbr member
    the IH website shows the weights of all their bikes and the heaviest 7 point is 41.6 pounds.

mtbr member
    my black diamond double is 41.5 lbs and i would imagine the triple is lighter. I love my Black Diamond Double although it is my first full suspension freeride bike. I have had the bike since December and everything is still stock so the parts it comes speced with are pretty solid. however i have been having some problems with the pivot axles. The axle bent one time and was replaced free of charge. then after a trip to Moab I had two crushed and one cracked bearings at the cost of $30. I went to Snowshoe two weekends ago and the axle cracked in half after a 4 foot drop and luckily i wasn't hurt. The shock didn't even bottom out! I looked at the axle and it looks like it is made badly, on one side of the axel the metal was thicker than the other side. I also talked to a rider at snowshoe who had the BDT and he had a bent pivot axle. These are 10mm axles??? I'm thinking Mongoose might need to do a recall on their pivot axels or something. Has anyone else had this problem with theirs? maybe it is just a freak thing i don't know.

When in doubt, go faster
    Based on what?
    In the store we have a scale and the inrohorse 7 point all stock came in at 45 pounds. No IH cracks under 40 pounds though
    Mine did stock. about 38 or 39. But with the 888 its over 40.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    First off you cant assume that it is 37 or 38 pounds. The lightest rig is around 36 and its a GT so thats a bit off. Also all bike manufacturers weigh their bikes without tires pedals and seats which makes up a good 4 pounds of weight. They lie in the wieght they give you. itll all be heavier. I mean a few pounds wont make much of a difference but im just saying. All the stock IH we have weighed besides the sunday because we havent had anyone order one yet have all been over 40 pounds. The mongoose is like the third lightest freeride bike in porduction. It's supposed weight is at 37 but it really is 39. ALL 7 points at stock are over 40 pounds. I work at the big IH dealer and we weigh absolutely everything that comes in and all the 7 points have come in over 40. If ou pick the parts correctly you will get it under 40 but they still seem to ride like tanks. They arent good in the air due to the DW linkage keeping on the groud which makes it feel heavier than it is. It def handles on the ground really well tho due to this

Members who have read this thread: 0