Iron Horse Licenses Ellsworth’s Suspension- Mtbr.com
    Ahahaha
    Oct 2007

Iron Horse Licenses Ellsworth’s Suspension

Iron Horse Licenses Ellsworth’s Suspension

HOLBROOK, NY (BRAIN)—Iron Horse Bicycles has acquired the license for the Instant Center Tracking suspension design from Ellsworth Handcrafted Bicycles.

Iron Horse will introduce the four-bar fully active suspension design to its 2010 line, which will include cross-country, freeride and downhill platforms.

“The folks at Iron Horse share my vision for building bikes with real, proven suspension technology, rather then concocting some gimmick to market for another few years before the next new gimmick,” said Anthony Ellsworth, founder and patent holder of Ellsworth’s ICT technology.

The ICT system will improve efficiency, traction control, bump absorption and overall ride quality.

“Ellsworth and Iron Horse agree that the sport of mountain biking grows when folks have a fabulous ride experience on great performing frame designs. ICT-equipped full suspension designs perform better, have more energy and great comfort, traction and control then any other suspension design,” Ellsworth said. “We believe folks having that level of experience will ride more and tell a friend, and there will be more folks riding bikes, promoting health and appreciating our planet in an environmentally responsible and healthy way.”

Iron Horse’s license for the DW Link, which was used on Iron Horse’s downhill, freeride, all-mountain, trail and cross-country bikes in its 2008 line, and for several years before, expires on March 31, 2009.

Dave Weagle, the inventor of the DW Link, decided last July not to renew the license with Iron Horse. Pivot, Ibis and Independent Fabrication also hold licenses for the DW Link, and Weagle is expected to name a fourth licensee next month.

The addition of ICT’s energy-efficient suspension technology will enhance Iron Horse’s already fully loaded high-end line up, which will launch fall of 2009, said Brad Accettella, product manager of Iron Horse Bikes.

“This is a very exciting time for our product development department. We are looking forward to creating unique frame platforms that carry forward Iron Horse’s renowned ride characteristics. The goal is to incorporate the key qualities from our existing models with benefits of the ICT system.” Accettella said. “We are committed to produce well-engineered, World Cup quality performance bikes.”

Iron Horse chief executive officer Cliff Weidberg announced earlier this summer that would pull out of the independent bicycle dealer channel. As of Sept. 1, Iron Horse will sell its high-end bikes exclusively the Randall Scott Cycle Company, an online outlet with a showroom in Boulder, Colorado.

For more information on Iron Horse’s ICT license, be sure to read the October issue of Bicycle Retailer and Industry News.

—Nicole Formosa
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/...tail/1692.html

mtbr member
    interesting for sure, I'm excited to see what they do with the Ellsworth design, I'm not sure if i'm a fan of it... but i've never ridden so.. I really can't be sure if I like ICT or dislike it yet. As for IH pulling out of Independent dealers .. i see some pros and cons to the move.. we'll see what happens to IH i suppose.

mtbr member
    “The folks at Iron Horse share my vision for building bikes with real, proven suspension technology, rather then concocting some gimmick to market for another few years before the next new gimmick,” said Anthony Ellsworth, founder and patent holder of Ellsworth’s ICT technology.

The ICT system will improve efficiency, traction control, bump absorption and overall ride quality.
    I found these 2 paragraphs amusing. Will be strange to see how Iron Horse adapts it over to their bikes. Looking at the change as an un-educated buyer, I think it will sell bikes. As someone who knows enough about bikes, I can say that its unappealing.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    It'll be interesting to see how much of the Ellsworth ICT marketing spiel IH adopts. Hopefully as little as possible. (I don't know much about suspension designs, but I can detect marketing BS easy enough.)

mtbr member
    Always amusing to hear what TE has to say and they’ll be pulling off a miracle getting the improvements they claim to be able to get from ICT.

Dr Phil mmkay

Sam Hill

I can't seem to imagine Sam Hill on an Elsworth...

banned
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=441147

another thread with some thoughts

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phil mmkay
    I can't seem to imagine Sam Hill on an Elsworth...
    soooo luke strobel rode for ellsworth last season and he rode a DHR... I'm assuming their dh stuff isnt so great...

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    This will undoubtedly generate more cash flow for TE, but is a poor move for IH. For the record I am not an IH fan, nothing against them, but nothing for them either.

My gut instinct tells me that IH is conciously forsaking performance for sales, or at least that is their intention. Whether it works out that way remains to be seen. The question that keeps popping up in my head is this; how is a knowledgable rider going to drop big $$$ on a high-end bike without demoing it first? Basically sight unseen (well seen, but unridden) except for the fact that you can view it online first. Sounds like IH is hoping for people to just make a "leap of faith" with their credit cards. I also bet that IH is anticipating MBA mag. to give the new line-up rave reviews (as usual) and that will sell the bikes for them!

I will be interested in watching how this develops just out of morbid curiousity, kinda like a car wreck.

Stand back
    Not terribly exciting news, really - this is just IH going back to horst link, like they were before they picked up DW's help. Just that now, they have to pay Ells' to use it...
    But at least this should dispell the DW linked Ells gossip...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by frisky_zissou
    I found these 2 paragraphs amusing. Will be strange to see how Iron Horse adapts it over to their bikes. Looking at the change as an un-educated buyer, I think it will sell bikes. As someone who knows enough about bikes, I can say that its unappealing.

That quote is really funny, since IH started licensing FSR from Specialized, then got DW and now are on to a third licensed design in 5 years. With them pulling their LBS dealer sales, now you won't even be able to try one out in person. See the pretty picture on Randall Scott and buy blind...

banned
    It looks like they are only interested in marketable features, such as those with patents. They could have easily have gone to a non-patented design that rides better than their interpretations of others, but it's not something that gives a customer a perception of something special and "upmarket".

mtbr member
    I had a SGS World Cup in 2004, it was a great bike other than being a tank.

I'm gonna stick with my Intense products.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

very cool

ih went from a karpieal knock off to a knock off of an elsworth wich is a knock off of a kona. i hear the new dh bike will in fact be called "the knock off" the freeride single crown will be called "the knock drop"
    it takes lighting speed to make thunder.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scot-tea
    ih went from a karpieal knock off to a knock off of an elsworth wich is a knock off of a kona. i hear the new dh bike will in fact be called "the knock off" the freeride single crown will be called "the knock drop"
    Actually, your history is wrong. Turner invented the Walking Beam/Rocker link suspension. TE copied it. Turner also collaborated with Kona on their FS bikes (were actually Turners rebadged), until they decided they didn't need him anymore. Turner also made improvements to the design, with TE right behind him to make the same ones on his own end.

So if you want to be exact, IH is now going to be producing a knock off of the EW, which was a knock off of Turner to begin with. It's pretty much the same thing as the body of the Lexus LS 400 of a few years ago, which was a knock off of the Acura RL of a few years ago, which was actually a knock off of the 90's S-Class Mercedes.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Stupid steel donkey...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Not terribly exciting news, really - this is just IH going back to horst link, like they were before they picked up DW's help. Just that now, they have to pay Ells' to use it...
    But at least this should dispell the DW linked Ells gossip...
    Bingo......Azonic saber (FSR) was discountinued because ellsworth sued....Azonic was paying specialize for the specialized patent and then ellsworth wanted money for their ostensibly a slightly modified Horst Link (supposely it is some sort of weird angles but still horst link for sure IMO)

great susspension....would love to see a bike like the saber come out
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    here is the bad part....you can only buy ironhorse here (how stupid)

Iron Horse chief executive officer Cliff Weidberg announced earlier this summer that would pull out of the independent bicycle dealer channel. As of Sept. 1, Iron Horse will sell its high-end bikes exclusively the Randall Scott Cycle Company, an online outlet with a showroom in Boulder, Colorado.

pulled from here
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Capricious youth...
    Bad move by Iron Horse.

Guess I gotta' sell my DW-link 7point soon, before it become "old technology"... as if ICT isn't already like 10 years old.
    Meh.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    here is the bad part....you can only buy ironhorse here (how stupid)

pulled from here
    As I've already said, this is a fantastically nepotistic move by the owner of WWC (the father of RS Cycle).

Not only that, but anyone outside of Boulder won't be able to test ride bikes at shops like Performance, or other LBS who carried Iron Horse. With that said, you can bank on the fact that Randall Scott won't be making the same kind of money they once were, because they can't receive a phone call, and then recommend that the customer go to Performance, try on a bike, and then call RS Cycle and get a better price.

RS Cycle made a huge mistake in choosing to go this route.
    Meh.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Instant Center Tracking is lame, the new FUture Center Tracking technology is next big thing.....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Ride Everything
    Even those in Boulder have a hard time test-riding bikes at RSC. The showroom is tiny, and they don't have all the bikes available for test rides. They might have one size on the floor, but for anything else, you need to "schedule" a bike to be built, etc.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I don't understand why a company that wants to sell bikes is going to make it harder for people to even see their bikes.

Kinda retarded IMHO.
    Last edited by bad andy; 08-12-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Brackish
    And the added bonus is that now customers will be channeled directly to IH's legendary customer service department, a CS department so bad that even their own dealers hated them. Yup, IH is going places.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy
    I don't understand why a company that wants to sell bikes is going to make it harder for people to even see their bikes.

Kinda retarded IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    And the added bonus is that now customers will be channeled directly to IH's legendary customer service department, a CS department so bad that even their own dealers hated them. Yup, IH is going places.
    yep going out of business

Members who have read this thread: 0